Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta hopes to finish LAX renovations 2yrs earlier than announced

Old Apr 13, 18, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Their lips to God's ears... couldn't come quickly enough!

The Atlanta-based SkyTeam Alliance carrier is pushing LAX operator Los Angeles World Airports to speed up construction of a secure connector between terminal 3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal by two years, completing what is now final element of the $1.86 billion programme by 2021 instead of 2024, a presentation to the operator's board earlier in April shows.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-early-447704/
Old Apr 13, 18, 10:27 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
That's probably a good strategy to ensure it ACTUALLY gets done by 2024...
Old Apr 13, 18, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
This is good to hear and hopefully there aren't any delays that push it back further but with a lot of other CA construction projects history, I won't get my hopes up. One thing that struck out to me in the article is it states that DL will have 27 total gates in T2/T3 when this is all complete vs the 23 gates today. It looks like from the renderings that there may be less wide body gates at T2 and an increase in gates at T3. (maybe DL will get some more space in TBIT when the MSC is done) Also it looks like they finally decided to tear T3 completely down and completely rebuild it. (some of the original renderings showed that the Satellite portion of T3 would stay and be renovated)
Old Apr 14, 18, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
It's already such a mess. I hope DL can push LAWA to help get us through this pain and suffering sooner than later.
Old Apr 14, 18, 6:59 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
One thing that struck out to me in the article is it states that DL will have 27 total gates in T2/T3 when this is all complete vs the 23 gates today
Not only that, but
Delta will have 27 gates at LAX, the most of the US big four, when the project is complete.
This is fascinating given when I first flew JFK-LAX on DL, it was on a 738 and they treated LAX roughly the same way they treated, say, DEN. (ie: DL was tiny relative to the other 3 carriers.)
Old Apr 14, 18, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bennos View Post
This is fascinating given when I first flew JFK-LAX on DL, it was on a 738 and they treated LAX roughly the same way they treated, say, DEN. (ie: DL was tiny relative to the other 3 carriers.)
I actually remember when DL didn't even use all of T5 for a brief time either during their bankruptcy or right after when they actually shared T5 with G4/AF/AM. T5 was actually a very nice experience when it wasn't very crowded. T5 took a dive after the 2013-15 renovation when all of the palm trees that gave the terminal character were removed and instead was used for an expanded F&B area which made the crowding worse around the terminal. It was even an advertised feature when the terminal was redone back in the 80s. How much times have changed since then.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: