Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sat 4/14; Weather at MSP; 3-5" Snow; Winds 20-30 mph

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sat 4/14; Weather at MSP; 3-5" Snow; Winds 20-30 mph

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvn
wait, what were they before???
I've never flown them, but they certainly weren't a ULCC. They served meals, for example, which I think were free as were first checked bags, seat assignments, etc. IIRC SunCountry also had FC cabins.

If they were a LCC before the recent cost cutting, the argument would be in terms of their "network" of point to point service rather than connections and the emphasis on leisure routes, not anything about the actual aircraft, pitch, service, etc.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
wait, what were they before???

At one point, after they were a charter airline and began offering regular scheduled service, they were a small yet full service airline. The most recent changes, including outsourcing most of their front line staff aside from FA's and pilots, really does mark a new chapter. I would not expect their first class cabins to be around for much longer.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:53 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I believe they still do charters (I've seen them here at MEM on a couple of occasions even though they don't have scheduled service here) but my understanding was that their scheduled commercial service was LCC (I did not know they offered a F cabin, for example).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp

I am absolutely amazed that Sun Country just left it’s passengers in Mexico. The lost customers and bad publicity alone should have led them to develop another plan.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OT, but I'm surprised that SunCountry isn't dispatching rescue flights. This event will hurt their reputation, but of course they're now trying to become a LCC/ULCC.
Not a fan of airline regulation, but this is a solid way for them to get themselves regulated. If I was DL/AA/UA I would throw a flight crew together, get an extra plane down there and take over any cancelled Sun Country tickets. Positive PR would easily outweigh the cost of giving that flight away and prove that the industry is capable of regulating itself when one of its members is irresponsible.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Not a fan of airline regulation, but this is a solid way for them to get themselves regulated. If I was DL/AA/UA I would throw a flight crew together, get an extra plane down there and take over any cancelled Sun Country tickets. Positive PR would easily outweigh the cost of giving that flight away and prove that the industry is capable of regulating itself when one of its members is irresponsible.
This was my argument as well. I'm a little surprised no other airline has gone for the PR win yet, but maybe they all have their hands full with their own problems.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:26 pm

If you take a look at the SY Facebook page you will see a textbook case of every communication mistake a company can make when communicating with upset customers. It's actually amazing.
wrp96 and jrkmsp like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I've never flown them, but they certainly weren't a ULCC. They served meals, for example, which I think were free as were first checked bags, seat assignments, etc. IIRC SunCountry also had FC cabins.

If they were a LCC before the recent cost cutting, the argument would be in terms of their "network" of point to point service rather than connections and the emphasis on leisure routes, not anything about the actual aircraft, pitch, service, etc.
I flew them to MCO back in 2003 before I flew regularly for work and had no status with any airline. I remember getting a breakfast sandwich (basically an egg mcmuffin type sandwich), OJ, and something else that I can't remember along with snacks later and choice of beverage. The few other flights I had back then didn't offer as much in coach.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson
I flew them to MCO back in 2003 before I flew regularly for work and had no status with any airline. I remember getting a breakfast sandwich (basically an egg mcmuffin type sandwich), OJ, and something else that I can't remember along with snacks later and choice of beverage. The few other flights I had back then didn't offer as much in coach.

They cut the free food in coach not long after that. Hopefully this will be a moment for B6 or AS to jump in and buy them, which would be really good for MSP flyers and especially for DL pricing, which can be pretty high at this fortress hub.
yohanson likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Well, we made it to ORD from MKE and found an awesome Red Coat who took care of rebooking us for flights out in the morning. Still, I am on the "call me back" list from attempting to call DL earlier this afternoon. This is from over 4 hours ago. Lots of epic fail moments for DL here.

I was traveling with family, and because they could not get a DL agent on the phone either, they decided to get an AA flight out of ORD tonight. Just my wife and I are sticking with DL to get us home tomorrow.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
This was my argument as well. I'm a little surprised no other airline has gone for the PR win yet, but maybe they all have their hands full with their own problems.
Part of the problem is that passengers from MSP seem to be stranded in at least three different airports in Mexico. At least three flights would be needed, maybe more.

SunCountry is really taking a beating on local media, but they're apparently offering to reimburse tickets later. However, some folks can't afford a thousand dollars and more per person to fly home, assuming that they can get a seat at all. Even if less than half request the money and submit documents, it would surely be cheaper for them to charter rescue flights if they can't send their own planes one day after the end of their seasonal service. Moreover, if they really reimburses actual costs, it sounds like a blank check, which I can't believe would really be offered, so I'm wondering whether this is a miscommunication/mistake and what they really mean is that they'll refund the cost of their cancelled flights (which of course isn't anywhere close to what it will cost people to fly home anytime soon).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: SM/Marriott/Hilton - Diamond
Just unbelievable about Sun Country. That is going to haunt them for awhile.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:58 pm

but they're apparently offering to reimburse tickets later.

I did not see that, I only saw them offering full refunds. But a refund of an advanced purchase ticket on SY is not going to come close to covering the walk up price of a ticket on another carrier.
yohanson and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Smaug
Well, we made it to ORD from MKE and found an awesome Red Coat who took care of rebooking us for flights out in the morning. Still, I am on the "call me back" list from attempting to call DL earlier this afternoon. This is from over 4 hours ago. Lots of epic fail moments for DL here.

I was traveling with family, and because they could not get a DL agent on the phone either, they decided to get an AA flight out of ORD tonight. Just my wife and I are sticking with DL to get us home tomorrow.
As a DM, it took DL 65 mins to get back to me yesterday, which considering what's been happening with the weather in the upper mid-west is quite understandable. As a GM you think that over 4 hours is an epic fail on DL's behalf? Perhaps you should try to contemplate how many other passengers, including DMs and PMs who have higher priority than you in the call-back queue, have been impacted by this extraordinary wx event! But there will always be those like you who have to complain/vent their displeasure with DL. I hope you don't wake up this morning and find out that you have cancer, or some other life changing event! Get over it!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:44 pm

I do agree that the airlines getting back to customers by phone in 4-5 hours during a storm of historic proportions is not terrible.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Well my Million Mile flight was pretty memorable. Or only was it on my anniversary wirh my wife, but it involved long delays and a missed blizzard trying to get home to MSP. I will certainly never forget this, and am pretty impressed how DL took care of us and also fixed my schedule tomorrow when I need to get to DC. At
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.