Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sat 4/14; Weather at MSP; 3-5" Snow; Winds 20-30 mph

Sat 4/14; Weather at MSP; 3-5" Snow; Winds 20-30 mph

Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Phone line waits for FOs are over 2 hours.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Operations are MKE are a mess. I've been auto-rebooked three times, and each time the new flights have been cancelled. Lines at the ticket counter are a mess, and hold times are 2+ hours.

I have already paid for a hotel tonight at MKE, but I wonder if I just drive to ORD, that agents there could handle the rebooking.

Not sure why only DL flights are being cancelled. Other airlines appear to be running normal operations, albeit with minor delays.

I can't rebook via the app because there is no option to do so.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by bennos
I called the DM line for an unrelated issue and was informed my wait to speak to an agent would be 34 minutes. Wow, I've never had a double digit wait on the DM line...
Same for me! I called the DM line also for an unrelated issue, and the recording stated that my wait time to speak to an agent would be between 60-70 mins! The automated system called me back in 65 mins! Definitely a record for me!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: SM/Marriott/Hilton - Diamond
Down to a 24 minute connection in SLC if we leave on time (not looking good). Any hotels near SLC?

Update: They moved the flight to 815, then moved it back to 615. DL.com shows 615, FlightAware shows 815.

Last edited by z06mir; Apr 15, 2018 at 3:50 pm
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Things could be worse. You could be (not) flying SY from Mexico back to MSP.
Passengers stuck in Mexico as Sun Country Airlines cancels flights to MSP - Story KMSP
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Smaug
Operations are MKE are a mess. I've been auto-rebooked three times, and each time the new flights have been cancelled. Lines at the ticket counter are a mess, and hold times are 2+ hours.

I have already paid for a hotel tonight at MKE, but I wonder if I just drive to ORD, that agents there could handle the rebooking.

Not sure why only DL flights are being cancelled. Other airlines appear to be running normal operations, albeit with minor delays.

I can't rebook via the app because there is no option to do so.
My *guess* would be that lots of the DL flights at MKE have aircraft coming from or going to MSP and DTW, both of which seem to have weather problems today.

If you're an experienced snow driver and can get a rental car that's good in the snow and has I-pass/EZ-pass for the Illinois tollways, it's a pretty easy drive from MKE to ORD (or MDW, but that's on the other side of Chicago). However, remember that DL doesn't have much service at ORD beyond hubs such as MSP, DTW, and ATL. It could be tough to leave ORD onb DL for tyhe same reasons as you're having problems at MKE.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yohanson
Passengers stuck in Mexico as Sun Country Airlines cancels flights to MSP - Story KMSP
I am absolutely amazed that Sun Country just left it’s passengers in Mexico. The lost customers and bad publicity alone should have led them to develop another plan.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by z06mir
Down to a 24 minute connection in SLC if we leave on time (not looking good). Any hotels near SLC?

Update: They moved the flight to 815, then moved it back to 615. DL.com shows 615, FlightAware shows 815.
The "airport" hotels are mostly in an office park immediately west of the airport called the International Center. But it is just as easy to hop on the train and ride to downtown SLC. There are several hotels immediately adjacent to stations, at various price points.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by amanuensis

The "airport" hotels are mostly in an office park immediately west of the airport called the International Center. But it is just as easy to hop on the train and ride to downtown SLC. There are several hotels immediately adjacent to stations, at various price points.
Building on that, use an app like Hotel Tonight, or Priceline's Express Deals. SLC is still showing 'airport' hotels for tonight.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yohanson
OT, but I'm surprised that SunCountry isn't dispatching rescue flights. This event will hurt their reputation, but of course they're now trying to become a LCC/ULCC.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Apparently 469 flights from MSP were cancelled yesterday and the airport hotels filled up quickly. However, at times it wouldn't have been easy to get from the airport to a hotel, although I didn't see any places in the immediate metro area where the road conditions were posted as "travel not advised."
But, but, but I thought MSP never had delays/cancellations for snow! At least that’s what all the pmNW FTers say...

Joking aside, this is at least the third major snow delay/cancellation event this year for MSP.
wrp96 and manacit like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
OT, but I'm surprised that SunCountry isn't dispatching rescue flights. This event will hurt their reputation, but of course they're now trying to become a LCC/ULCC.

I am also surprised. You would think they would at least contract with DL or a charter carrier.

This is also a perfect example of where an airline should be liable for the customer's situation. SY could not control the weather, but they do have control over their ability to prepare for the highly likely event that a large snowstorm would occur at MSP, their base. It's moments like this when you can really see the value of the global legacy carriers. Yes, people have had to wait a bit to get through to DL, some even for a few hours, but SY pax have literally been left stranded in another country, apparently with only a segment refund as the resolution. I feel confident in saying that DL would never do this to their customers, including at a seasonal destination where the last flight out of the season was cancelled. DL would send another plane.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Apr 15, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Building on that, use an app like Hotel Tonight, or Priceline's Express Deals. SLC is still showing 'airport' hotels for tonight.
As a Marriott/SPG slob I would probably choose this but there is a fairly new looking Spring Hill Suites near SLC showing availability tonight for $84. (Probably will be cheaper than some of the downtown hotels)
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: SM/Marriott/Hilton - Diamond
My DL journey for today has ended. I booked a ticket on United much to my dismay. The ticket agent here in RAP was offering passengers flights to DEN with a connection to their destination but she said mine "wasn't available" so I gave up and booked it on my phone. I feel bad for the ticket agents.... lots of upset passengers but it appeared from the outside they were picking and choosing who to help more.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:14 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
of course they're now trying to become a LCC/ULCC.
wait, what were they before???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.