Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sat 4/14; Weather at MSP; 3-5" Snow; Winds 20-30 mph

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sat 4/14; Weather at MSP; 3-5" Snow; Winds 20-30 mph

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: SM/Marriott/Hilton - Diamond
Looking like I'll misconnect in SLC now. Ugh.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Eurobonus Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Gold
I was supposed to be on a 10:30am to IAH connecting to Panama City. That was quickly canceled. We'll hope for better tomorrow. I took the earlier departure (7:45am) to give more room for error with the connection. Still not totally confident, but we'll see what tomorrow brings!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:22 am

Blizzard warning is gone but a winter weather advisory has replaced it with another 3-5 inches snow coming today and per FlightAware, inbound flights are delayed an average of 4 hours and 53 minutes due to snow and ice. In other words, don’t try coming through here today and I’m not sure tomorrow is a good idea either.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by z06mir
My RAP->MSP->PHX flight just got canceled. Well, the RAP->MSP segment did for 0630 tomorrow. Rebooked at 5pm with a 45 minute layover in SLC. Not idea, but oh well. I booked the MSP layover for MQMs (same price) so I'm kind of bummed about that, and I was originally FC on CRJ900 but now I'm on a 200.... and losing an entire day home. Any chance DL will give me some MQMs? Or let me change my flight home to a day later (booked separately, unfortunately)
My *guess* is that DL is likely to be sympathetic and let you rebook the separate DL ticket to a day later, especially if you ask nicely and have elite status. You might need to HUCA. As others have said, ask for ORC later, but you won't be given "extra" MQMs, although DL might throw some RDMs at you for the inconvenience, even though they clearly aren't obligated to do so.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL might throw some RDMs at you for the inconvenience, even though they clearly aren't obligated to do so.

I hope they don't. I think it's important that pax really be clear about the difference between problems caused by the airline and problems out of their control.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I hope they don't. I think it's important that pax really be clear about the difference between problems caused by the airline and problems out of their control.
I agree, but at least DL doesn't randomly throw MQMs for customer service problems.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:25 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Most things we consider the "airlines fault" are also beyond their control. Most maintenance issues, for example, aren't caused because the aircraft has been neglected.

You might not have a plane to get on because the inbound is delayed by weather, or because of a maintenance issue, both of those scenarios could be fixed by the airline having extra aircraft laying around at outstations, which is something they could quite easily do, but one of these is considered "under their control" and the other isn't.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
I am stuck at MKE for the day. Overnight ice and several inches of snow have greatly slowed operations. I can hear flights leaving, but I don't think any DL flights have departed, even from the aircraft that were parked here overnight.

I have been auto rebooked through DTW in the morning, but I don't know if things will be back to normal by then. If the roads were decent, I would drive myself to ORD, but I am playing it safe for now.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
I was booked JAX-MSP Friday evening but then decided to fly back one day earlier on Thursday. 5 hours after I made the change weather waiver was issued. Delta sent me a $200 voucher to offset the change fee I was charged.
They were under no obligation to do so but felt it's a nice gesture.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Here is the FAA update as of 12:40 pm central Sunday
  • Due to WX / SNOW-ICE, departure traffic destined to Minneapolis-St Paul International/Wold-Chamberlain Airport, Minneapolis, MN (MSP) is currently experiencing delays averaging 4 hours and 53 minutes.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:51 am

Well, it's still snowing and the snow is expected to continue through the very early morning hours. It's looking like the airport could get a total of five inches today by the time the snow ends, on top of the twelve inches yesterday at MSP (and sixteen in some nearby suburbs, with up to twenty-four inches in some pockets in the southwestern part of the state, where roads were closed, including long stretches of I-90).

BTW, this was the first time in several decades that Minneapolis itself has had an official blizzard warning.

Apparently 469 flights from MSP were cancelled yesterday and the airport hotels filled up quickly. However, at times it wouldn't have been easy to get from the airport to a hotel, although I didn't see any places in the immediate metro area where the road conditions were posted as "travel not advised."
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
Most things we consider the "airlines fault" are also beyond their control. Most maintenance issues, for example, aren't caused because the aircraft has been neglected.

You might not have a plane to get on because the inbound is delayed by weather, or because of a maintenance issue, both of those scenarios could be fixed by the airline having extra aircraft laying around at outstations, which is something they could quite easily do, but one of these is considered "under their control" and the other isn't.
Yes, I suppose that's true, and that it's never black and white. Still, it seems fair enough to try to draw a reasonable line. For example, I would not expect them to have had any kind of contingency plan that would somehow magically make airplanes fly in and out of MSP yesterday, and they did what they could, for example, with diversions to still get people from overseas back to the States and closer to their final destination. On the other hand, I think it was reasonable to expect that they have better contingency plans in place than they did during the ATL power outage. I'm not able to articulate one exact clear way of knowing when I think they have liability and when they don't, but it also seems like it's pretty obvious in each particular situation.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Apparently 469 flights from MSP were cancelled yesterday and the airport hotels filled up quickly.
Are there any reports of tarmac delays >3 hours? The DOT does have rules against that, including implementation of contingency plans by 'covered carriers' (Delta, SkyWest, and Endeavor included) and fines to discourage the practice.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: SM/Marriott/Hilton - Diamond
My *guess* is that DL is likely to be sympathetic and let you rebook the separate DL ticket to a day later, especially if you ask nicely and have elite status. You might need to HUCA. As others have said, ask for ORC later, but you won't be given "extra" MQMs, although DL might throw some RDMs at you for the inconvenience, even though they clearly aren't obligated to do so.
All I want is the ORC and I would be delighted if I got to change my return flight, but I honestly don't expect it. Will call in a few days on that. Don't want anything extra, just what I originally purchased in terms of SM and MQMs. I am GM so certainly not top tier but not a once-a-year flyer, either. Right now I am just crossing my fingers I can get out of RAP today, even if it means spending the night in SLC. Lots of DL flights tomorrow from SLC->PHX and SW and AA flights too if it came to it.

Minneapolis is moving, albeit it slowly, but they're moving.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I called the DM line for an unrelated issue and was informed my wait to speak to an agent would be 34 minutes. Wow, I've never had a double digit wait on the DM line...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.