Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sat 4/14; Weather at MSP; 3-5" Snow; Winds 20-30 mph

Sat 4/14; Weather at MSP; 3-5" Snow; Winds 20-30 mph

Old Apr 14, 18, 4:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM, .99MM
Looking at the delta.com status for the four AMS-MSP flights: the KLM flight was cancelled; the three Delta flights were diverted to DTW, CVG, and JFK.

There’s a bunch of flights from Mexico and the Caribbean that come in on Saturday night at this time of year. All those sunburned folks in skimpy clothing will be hanging out at various airports tonight!
Lehava likes this.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Apr 14, 18 at 4:57 pm
Old Apr 14, 18, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles GM
My RAP->MSP->PHX flight just got canceled. Well, the RAP->MSP segment did for 0630 tomorrow. Rebooked at 5pm with a 45 minute layover in SLC. Not idea, but oh well. I booked the MSP layover for MQMs (same price) so I'm kind of bummed about that, and I was originally FC on CRJ900 but now I'm on a 200.... and losing an entire day home. Any chance DL will give me some MQMs? Or let me change my flight home to a day later (booked separately, unfortunately)
Old Apr 14, 18, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL - GM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, SPG - Plat, Omni - Black, Avis - First
Currently in the DEN SkyClub, was to connect over MSP tonight. I just bought a cheap one-day on NK to DTW tonight instead of dealing with the DL rebook to Sunday.

A lot of MSP-stranded passengers here, some have been here most of the day. One guy was trying to get to AMS, but they can't get them there now until Wednesday.
Old Apr 14, 18, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.27MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by z06mir View Post
My RAP->MSP->PHX flight just got canceled. Well, the RAP->MSP segment did for 0630 tomorrow. Rebooked at 5pm with a 45 minute layover in SLC. Not idea, but oh well. I booked the MSP layover for MQMs (same price) so I'm kind of bummed about that, and I was originally FC on CRJ900 but now I'm on a 200.... and losing an entire day home. Any chance DL will give me some MQMs? Or let me change my flight home to a day later (booked separately, unfortunately)
you can certainly make a case for Original Routing Credit (ORC) for the outbound, but you’re probably SOL in terms of a free reschedule for the return
Old Apr 14, 18, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

you can certainly make a case for Original Routing Credit (ORC) for the outbound, but you’re probably SOL in terms of a free reschedule for the return
Thanks. The ORC is more important to me (thanks for the new term!) than the reschedule. I fully understand that is part of the risk of booking two separate tickets, but it was necessary since I didn't know when I needed to come back to work at the time.
Old Apr 14, 18, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Choice Gold, SQ Silver
Lund's is closing early, that was my clue this is a serious storm. I've been a MN transplant for just over a decade, this is the second worse winter storm I have seen in that time. I would guess the system won't be fully reset until Tuesday.
Old Apr 14, 18, 7:13 pm
Moderator, Delta SkyMiles & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, UA Silver, HH lapsed Diamond, SPG Plat
Data show this to be a messy day in MSP. At 7:11 CDT it's leading in number of cancellations on FlightAware, 256 cancellations or 56%; 65 delays, 15%. ORD isn't #2 , Toronto is.
Old Apr 14, 18, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG plat

I'm sure they will let you change your flights given the situation, and if you paid for first class (vs. an upgrade) they will refund the difference for the downgrade, but I'm not sure that you should ask for extra MQM's. They rerouted you for no charge because there is a historic winter storm and all of the problems are out of their control. If they rebook as quickly as possible and are flexible with you, they have done a great job and there's no reason to ask them for anything else.
Old Apr 14, 18, 7:41 pm

Thanks. The ORC is more important to me (thanks for the new term!) than the reschedule. I fully understand that is part of the risk of booking two separate tickets, but it was necessary since I didn't know when I needed to come back to work at the time.
Doesn't hurt to ask! If you have time before you need to confirm your return flight though, I'd wait a day or two for phones to die down some.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Data show this to be a messy day in MSP. At 7:11 CDT it's leading in number of cancellations on FlightAware, 256 cancellations or 56%; 65 delays, 15%. ORD isn't #2 , Toronto is.
That mostly happened after the airport closed. ORD was surprisingly leading through early afternoon, though a number of those were probably MSP or surrounding cities segments that were cancelled too.

Also looks like airport pushed back to 9pm as their goal for reopening.
Old Apr 14, 18, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
I'm sure they will let you change your flights given the situation, and if you paid for first class (vs. an upgrade) they will refund the difference for the downgrade, but I'm not sure that you should ask for extra MQM's. They rerouted you for no charge because there is a historic winter storm and all of the problems are out of their control. If they rebook as quickly as possible and are flexible with you, they have done a great job and there's no reason to ask them for anything else.
I am fine with a voucher but I'm more concerned about MQMs than probably $100. Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate DL being proactive and giving me a pretty darn good alternative. Significantly better than a real cluster f with United last Christmas where they said "Oh, sorry. Crew timed out. But since there was weather somewhere that isn't here it's coded for weather and you'll get there in 3 or 4 days". Does make me appreciate DL but I'd still like to get a portion of what I paid for originally (MQMs, SM)
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
Doesn't hurt to ask! If you have time before you need to confirm your return flight though, I'd wait a day or two for phones to die down some.

I've got 10 days, so plenty of time. Figured I'd try Tuesday or Wednesday. No hurry. If they say no oh well!
Old Apr 14, 18, 8:52 pm

I am fine with a voucher but I'm more concerned about MQMs than probably $100. Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate DL being proactive and giving me a pretty darn good alternative. Significantly better than a real cluster f with United last Christmas where they said "Oh, sorry. Crew timed out. But since there was weather somewhere that isn't here it's coded for weather and you'll get there in 3 or 4 days". Does make me appreciate DL but I'd still like to get a portion of what I paid for originally (MQMs, SM)
As said further up in the thread, all you need to do is ask for original routing credit and MQM will be credited as if you had still flown through MSP. Don't even need to do it on the phone, just go to the contact page, input your ticket/flight details and in the comments box explain that you "were rebooked due to IRROPs and would like original routing credit". Use that exact phrasing and give it a month (45 days) for it to make it through the system and you should see the flights credited properly. They've even given ORC when interlining me on United because they had no other options.
Old Apr 14, 18, 9:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, .99MM
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Currently in the DEN SkyClub, was to connect over MSP tonight. I just bought a cheap one-day on NK to DTW tonight instead of dealing with the DL rebook to Sunday.

A lot of MSP-stranded passengers here, some have been here most of the day. One guy was trying to get to AMS, but they can't get them there now until Wednesday.
I think the MSP-AMS flights have been pretty heavily booked recently. When I was doing volunteer work at MSP this week I noticed several instances of pax checking in on the kiosks and getting the VDB question. So it must be a real mess to rebook all those passengers when the flights are already quite full.

Are there extra planes in the international hubs so that flights scheduled to fly to MSP on Sunday can take off on time? Did the planes that landed today in DTW, CVG, etc. turn around and fly back to AMS or CDG (empty, since the pax are stuck in MSP) so that they can resume the Sunday flights?
Old Apr 14, 18, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
As said further up in the thread, all you need to do is ask for original routing credit and MQM will be credited as if you had still flown through MSP. Don't even need to do it on the phone, just go to the contact page, input your ticket/flight details and in the comments box explain that you "were rebooked due to IRROPs and would like original routing credit". Use that exact phrasing and give it a month (45 days) for it to make it through the system and you should see the flights credited properly. They've even given ORC when interlining me on United because they had no other options.

Thanks!

Somehow in holding GM status for two years I've had very very few issues or delays. New territory for me. Not surprisingly though.
Old Apr 14, 18, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post

I think the MSP-AMS flights have been pretty heavily booked recently. When I was doing volunteer work at MSP this week I noticed several instances of pax checking in on the kiosks and getting the VDB question. So it must be a real mess to rebook all those passengers when the flights are already quite full.

Are there extra planes in the international hubs so that flights scheduled to fly to MSP on Sunday can take off on time? Did the planes that landed today in DTW, CVG, etc. turn around and fly back to AMS or CDG (empty, since the pax are stuck in MSP) so that they can resume the Sunday flights?
I haven't looked at the flight rotations extensively for AMS, but looks like the planes aren't exclusively running MSP-AMS-MSP. They might do a MSP-AMS-DTW-AMS-MSP, or through JFK and other hubs, so they are presumably able to swap the plane out coming in from a different hub. For example, the AMS-MSP that got diverted to CVG had originated as the DTW-AMS the night prior. Looking at tomorrow they have cancelled one of the AMS-MSP flights, but others are running so they probably pulled planes from other hubs that are coming inbound to AMS tonight. Actually looking at AMS-JFK tomorrow, one of those flights has already been cancelled, so they are probably using that plane to run one of the AMS-MSP trips.

Edit: Yeah they are subbing stuff in from other hubs. N818NW was supposed to fly the AMS-DTW (DL 135) tomorrow, but that is the plane that diverted to CVG this morning, and is currently going CVG-ATL to get it back in a rotation. N804NW was supposed to be AMS-JFK (DL 49) tomorrow, but it was moved to fill the hole created by N818NW being out of the rotation. So DL 49 was cancelled in order for DL 135 to run. Also a good example of how flights involving airports (DTW, JFK) outside of the winter storm can still be affected by events in MSP.
CarmenOM likes this.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Apr 15, 18 at 12:03 am
Old Apr 15, 18, 12:15 am

It would be a terrible day to work in aircraft scheduling/operations, but it would sure be interesting to watch from a distance.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: