Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best routes/strategies for a mileage run?

Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, IHG Gold

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help me a little / point me in the right direction.

I recently got a status match from Delta, which comes with the 12,500 MQMs in 3 months requirement. I was stupid enough to apply for the status match over 2 months before I'll be in the States (and travelling extensively), and needless to say, Delta wouldn't budge when asked to move the start date forward.

So now I'm in a situation where I'll land in SFO on June 8th and need to acquire 12,500 MQMs by June 22nd. Quite a pickle, but doable, especially considering time isn't a massive issue.

With this in mind, I was wondering if anyone has any tips as to how to maximise MQMs and which routes / fares to look at? I was thinking of doing SFO-EWR in First, which would supposedly give me around 7710 MQMs, followed by a shorter trip in First for the remaining, but the prices seem quite steep, considering I'll have my better half with me and wouldn't really want to seat her in Coach while I'm in First.

I'd be grateful for any tips or recommendations you guys may have.

Thanks
Bryan
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I'd recommend checking out the mileage run deals forum here: Mileage Run Deals

Originally Posted by bryanoneil
Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help me a little / point me in the right direction.

I recently got a status match from Delta, which comes with the 12,500 MQMs in 3 months requirement. I was stupid enough to apply for the status match over 2 months before I'll be in the States (and travelling extensively), and needless to say, Delta wouldn't budge when asked to move the start date forward.

So now I'm in a situation where I'll land in SFO on June 8th and need to acquire 12,500 MQMs by June 22nd. Quite a pickle, but doable, especially considering time isn't a massive issue.

With this in mind, I was wondering if anyone has any tips as to how to maximise MQMs and which routes / fares to look at? I was thinking of doing SFO-EWR in First, which would supposedly give me around 7710 MQMs, followed by a shorter trip in First for the remaining, but the prices seem quite steep, considering I'll have my better half with me and wouldn't really want to seat her in Coach while I'm in First.

Thanks
Bryan
bryanoneil likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador

Are you going to be based in SFO? If so, have you considered flying (and doing a status match for) United? Delta has very limited service to SFO (only 9 non-stops, 10 if you include a seasonal to HNL).
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:00 am

Get a Delta Amex credit card and prepay IRS taxes or whatever to get the necessary MQMs. As a foreigner you can always file a tax return and get a refund.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernal
Are you going to be based in SFO? If so, have you considered flying (and doing a status match for) United? Delta has very limited service to SFO (only 9 non-stops, 10 if you include a seasonal to HNL).
Nope, I'll actually be travelling for roughly 1.5 years with basically no home base, hence why the status match (I'm already top tier with the other 2 alliances.. was only missing SkyTeam).
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
At the risk of stating the obvious, can you not fly from somewhere in Europe to the US when you fly to SFO? I realize that Delta doesn’t serve Malta (or doesn’t appear to, on a quick search), but you could fly from the nearest European city served by Delta or an eligible partner.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:19 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
At the risk of stating the obvious, can you not fly from somewhere in Europe to the US when you fly to SFO? I realize that Delta doesnt serve Malta (or doesnt appear to, on a quick search), but you could fly from the nearest European city served by Delta or an eligible partner.
I thought Air Malta was part of SkyTeam (I've seen them in T4 at heathrow back when Delta was still there), but apparently not. However, they do codeshare with KLM/AF.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:19 am

Nope, I'll actually be travelling for roughly 1.5 years with basically no home base, hence why the status match (I'm already top tier with the other 2 alliances.. was only missing SkyTeam).
Fair enough. If that's the case, then my recommendation would just be to forget about the status match. You're status matching to Gold which really won't get you much on Delta (first class upgrades will be rare unless you fly at very off peak times). Unless you will fly a whole lot of short haul, It will be cheaper for you just to pay for Comfort+ seats while you fly organically (Comfort+ provides virtually all of the benefits you would get as a Gold medallion).
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
SFO HKG will get your miles all in one flight, good turnaround times as well
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
SFO HKG will get your miles all in one flight, good turnaround times as well
Good option. My only commentary would be not to do this if you're not a US citizen or permanent resident (not sure what OP's status is). You will likely run into significant scrutiny by the CBP for these types of mileage runs as a non-citizen (you'll also potentially get it as a citizen, but there is less they can do to ruin your day/life other than detain you for a few hours).
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkoechel
I'd recommend checking out the mileage run deals forum here: Mileage Run Deals
Thanks! I did have a look before posting but didn't really find anything relevant, at least in the first 20 or so minutes of digging.

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Get a Delta Amex credit card and prepay IRS taxes or whatever to get the necessary MQMs. As a foreigner you can always file a tax return and get a refund.
I wish it was that simple! As a non US resident, getting a US card would be pretty much a mission impossible.

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
At the risk of stating the obvious, can you not fly from somewhere in Europe to the US when you fly to SFO? I realize that Delta doesnt serve Malta (or doesnt appear to, on a quick search), but you could fly from the nearest European city served by Delta or an eligible partner.
I had already booked that flight before the status match come through. Otherwise this would indeed have been the best/obvious way and would've gotten me the 12.5k in one flight with no issues.

Originally Posted by pvn
I thought Air Malta was part of SkyTeam (I've seen them in T4 at heathrow back when Delta was still there), but apparently not. However, they do codeshare with KLM/AF.
While they do fly from T4, they're not in SkyTeam (or any alliance). And they're longest route is around 1,800 miles :-)

Fair enough. If that's the case, then my recommendation would just be to forget about the status match. You're status matching to Gold which really won't get you much on Delta (first class upgrades will be rare unless you fly at very off peak times). Unless you will fly a whole lot of short haul, It will be cheaper for you just to pay for Comfort+ seats while you fly organically (Comfort+ provides virtually all of the benefits you would get as a Gold medallion).
Oh, I'm not at all bothered about Delta itself, as I'll only be flying them very-very occasionally. It's the SkyTeam Elite+ that I want/need, as the vast majority of my flights are outside of the US. Under normal circumstances, I would also have no issue with racking up the miles, but it's the fact that I'll need to do it in less than 2 weeks and with no actual travel scheduled for that time which makes it a bit tougher.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Good option. My only commentary would be not to do this if you're not a US citizen or permanent resident (not sure what OP's status is). You will likely run into significant scrutiny by the CBP for these types of mileage runs as a non-citizen (you'll also potentially get it as a citizen, but there is less they can do to ruin your day/life other than detain you for a few hours).
Exactly. That's why I was/am looking at the domestic options. Especially as I will already be entering the US 3 times in the span of a few months, and have visited already twice earlier this year. Also not a big fan of international travel in Economy :-)
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What are you talking about? Delta Connection is fine for an MQM challenge, and there are 9 flights on SFO-LAX alone tomorrow.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:43 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I wish it was that simple! As a non US resident, getting a US card would be pretty much a mission impossible.
it wouldn't work anyway. Only MQMs from flight activities count towards a challenge.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What are you talking about? Delta Connection is fine for an MQM challenge, and there are 9 flights on SFO-LAX alone tomorrow.
I had interpreted that OP was going to be flying out of SFO regularly. It is now clear that he is just wants to do the status match to get ST Elite+ and that he doesn't plan on flying Delta much in the US.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.