Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Different fare class availability on connecting flights.

Old Apr 7, 18, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond

Hi all, long time lurker but decided to finally register for an account. I'm currently booking a flight from BOS to HNL through MSP, and was noticing that there was inconsistent availability on the MSP leg depending on whether it was booked as part of a larger trip. If I try to book BOS-MSP, I see a T fare, and T9 shows on expert flyer. However, if I book BOS-MSP-HNL for that flight, everything disappears except H, which is significantly more expensive. This oddity only happens for the second BOS-MSP flight of the day, and not the first, as well as not happening if I book BOS-MSP the day before, in a multi-segment itinerary. Google flights even seems to think that if I go through a travel agent I can get a much better deal (though I can't pull this up on matrix or any OTA I tried).

The flight I was looking at - goo.gl/flights/rfpTN

On a side note - anyone had any luck with complimentary upgrades on the MSP-HNL leg to DeltaOne (I'm Diamond)? Debating using an RUC or just hoping.

Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 18, 4:49 pm
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by krypttohk View Post
Hi all, long time lurker but decided to finally register for an account. I'm currently booking a flight from BOS to HNL through MSP, and was noticing that there was inconsistent availability on the MSP leg depending on whether it was booked as part of a larger trip. If I try to book BOS-MSP, I see a T fare, and T9 shows on expert flyer. However, if I book BOS-MSP-HNL for that flight, everything disappears except H, which is significantly more expensive. This oddity only happens for the second BOS-MSP flight of the day, and not the first, as well as not happening if I book BOS-MSP the day before, in a multi-segment itinerary. Google flights even seems to think that if I go through a travel agent I can get a much better deal (though I can't pull this up on matrix or any OTA I tried).

The flight I was looking at - goo.gl/flights/rfpTN

On a side note - anyone had any luck with complimentary upgrades on the MSP-HNL leg to DeltaOne (I'm Diamond)? Debating using an RUC or just hoping.

Thanks!
Welcome to FT! What you are seeing is called married segment availability. Here is a thread from a few years ago that might help explain it:
Would Somebody Please Explain Married Segment Logic to Me?
Old Apr 7, 18, 4:53 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
It's called married segment logic. It doesn't matter what the individual bucket availability is for BOS-MSP and MSP-HNL segments. If you are booking a BOS-HNL fare, DL will have separate bucket availability for the married segments and that is what dictates which fare class you can buy. You need to search EF for the through bucket availability, not the individual segments. There can also be other factors as fares can have roundtrip purchase requirements, minimum stay, etc.
Old Apr 7, 18, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond
Thanks for the help - that makes sense. It looks like when it processes it as a stopover for the multi-day itinerary, the married segments don't apply. But that it automatically combines the same-day multi-segment itinerary, so it costs more even than the stopover fee. Is there anyway to force the same-day itinerary to count as a stopover? I'm guessing that's what google flights thinks a travel agent can do, but I'm not sure if it's actually doable.
Old Apr 7, 18, 5:47 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any layover longer than 4 hours on a domestic ticket creates a stop-over and a fare break (it won't be a married segment issue, but rather booking separate fares instead of a single one). In some cases, the separate fares may be cheaper than a through fare. Without further details on your itinerary, it's hard to really say what you are looking at.

Last edited by LBJ; Apr 7, 18 at 5:59 pm
Old Apr 8, 18, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by krypttohk View Post
Thanks for the help - that makes sense. It looks like when it processes it as a stopover for the multi-day itinerary, the married segments don't apply. But that it automatically combines the same-day multi-segment itinerary, so it costs more even than the stopover fee. Is there anyway to force the same-day itinerary to count as a stopover? I'm guessing that's what google flights thinks a travel agent can do, but I'm not sure if it's actually doable.
Married segment logic cannot be forced by anyone. Delta has programmed the systems to not allow the separate segments to be booked unless through availability is showing open. Also, calling Delta will get you no where. There are a number of threads discussing this situation. Many of them recent in the past few weeks.

Search this Thread