Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Horrible Connection to Book?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
exit immigration at CDG at the time the SLC flight leaves is always a zoo. even in D1 I've waited 30-45 minutes in the "priority" line. i'd take the AMS connection, as such.

EDIT: i misread the OP as a 55 minute connection in CDG, not the actual1 hour and 55 minute connection. given the extra hour, CDG is the way to go definitely in this case.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:44 pm
Suspended

I think it could be a miscommunication
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I'd probably go with 1h55 via CDG. Even if emmigration is backed up (which does happen) that should be enough time to clear, and they're usually pretty good at holding the long hauls if it looks like a large number of connecting pax are delayed.

Bottom line though is either airport can be a crapshoot.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BenA
If you’re flying Delta One, you also get higher quality wine onboard for CDG flights vs AMS.
I thought only certain DL1 routes get enhanced wine - CDG-JFK and vv being one of them. CDG-SLC and CDG-AMS should get the same wine selections - not the enhanced wine.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by The Situation
My point was not about "gaming" the system, its about educating the customer (who has far less knowledge of how the system works than the supplier), about the high likelihood that there will be a schedule change between now and the date of the flight, and that it is 1) no reason to panic or have anxiety and 2) not a reason to go around complaining about how the airline is out to screw you. I am certainly not implying that OP would do either, but I have seen enough threads about it and talked to enough people, that I think it is wise to view the situation in the manner I described.
I don't consider it educating the customer to advise them to take a riskier routing when there is pretty much zero possible upside. Sometimes the simple answer is the correct answer and all that muddying the waters with talk of reschedules does is, well, muddy the waters.

OP: I would route via CDG.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:07 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I don't consider it educating the customer to advise them to take a riskier routing when there is pretty much zero possible upside. Sometimes the simple answer is the correct answer and all that muddying the waters with talk of reschedules does is, well, muddy the waters.

OP: I would route via CDG.
A lot of people don't really consider it much of a downside risk and consider the upside extremely valuable (if this weren't the case, you wouldn't see people talking about it!)
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
A lot of people don't really consider it much of a downside risk and consider the upside extremely valuable (if this weren't the case, you wouldn't see people talking about it!)
Flights matter. There is no upside for this itinerary. The OP is already taking one of the two best possible routings.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:38 pm
pvn
Suspended

ok, even in that case, saying there is "zero upside" is wrong, some people value avoiding CDG, some people value shorter connections and don't want to sit around an extra hour, etc. People have different tolerance for risk and different value on their time, etc.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:39 pm
pvn
Suspended

And it's worth noting that most of the people suggesting the shorter connection for the possible ability to change routings were mostly talking in the general case.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'd go against most, and say AMS. I find easier and quicker to get through immigration and less prone to delays. AMS has egates that US passport holders can use for exit immigration. Thus you're through in seconds. Plus there's a seasonal KLM flight to SLC, providing backup if it's operating when you travel.
bonoman likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
ok, even in that case, saying there is "zero upside" is wrong, some people value avoiding CDG, some people value shorter connections and don't want to sit around an extra hour, etc. People have different tolerance for risk and different value on their time, etc.
It would help if you didn’t exclude words from “pretty much zero upside” to make it seem a more definitive statement.

At any rate, I stand by it. The OP has identified the two best possible routings. While I don’t want to say that there is zero possibility that a schedule change would open better ones, it is pretty close to zero.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Agree, in this case if you book AMS and a schedule change breaks it, you'll be choosing a longer connection at AMS or going back to CDG. So why bother?

I'd go with CDG, not as bad as it used to be and I like to have some buffer time if possible, as I happily spend it in the lounge if I don't need it.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I would connect through Kinshasa in the Congo before I opted for Paris. In your case, I'd take AMS without question.
bonoman likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I thought only certain DL1 routes get enhanced wine - CDG-JFK and vv being one of them. CDG-SLC and CDG-AMS should get the same wine selections - not the enhanced wine.
I can at least confirm, from recent experience flying two Delta One routes within a few weeks of each other, that SEA-CDG received enhanced wine, while SEA-HKG did not. That said, it wouldn’t surprise me if this was another example of Seattle getting special treatment...
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
My vote would be AMS too. A brisk walk may be necessary, but passport control is a cinch and you have convenient lounges on both the Schengen on Non sides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.