Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live from de-valued Delta One

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by live5
Just to be clear, you're angry that there are other people in Delta One with you?
These will be the same people complaining when the renovated 777s and 767s, once the new Delta One suites are installed, have less business-class seats and their global upgrade certificate didn't clear.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
True. But, UA does make money on their SFO operation. I wonder what will happen when AS optimizes their operation there?
Ironically, over in the Alaska forum, there's handwrniging that SFO is going to be forgotten and die a slow death.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
And it's not just that the cabin was full - his issue seems to be with *how* it got full - and with whom. Apparently he feels that people who pay to sit up front don't drink champagne or use the restroom....
Do we know for sure that the beverages are being catered for full cabins? Aren’t the upgrades all at the gate? Maybe some beverage catering hiccups in the early days?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:09 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
And it's not just that the cabin was full - his issue seems to be with *how* it got full - and with whom.
There's also a very good chance he doesn't actually know how many of the J pax were upgrades or is massively exaggerating
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
As long as the paid D1 customers get their choice of meal first then all is well.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
As long as the paid D1 customers get their choice of meal first then all is well.
If that's the standard then it better be by elite status first.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Most of the SFO/JFK are on equipment with J seating similar to the AA cabin. And as much as I don't love the DL 764, I do love (1) that the large cabin size means these planes often have a greater likelihood of a low paid fare up front, and (2) the single seats (especially every other window row) are nice and private. The DL SFO lounge experience is also superior (although I do like the AA SFO agents).
1) actually AA has some really cheap J fares on JFK-SFO. UA has some really cheap J also, but that's more due to how many flights they have. DL only has lower prices on those less popular flights. I've found low fare AA flights throughout the day.

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
It would be helpful to see the metric and how that helps determine overall profitability for these flights. We do know that DL has a higher market cap than both AA and UA, so they must be doing something right.
I was just saying that UA has higher yield on NYC-SFO, which should be quite obvious. They dominate most of the transcon out of SFO aside from ATL/CLT/FLL.

I just found it incredulous that someone further up the thread is surprised people would pick UA over DL on NYC-SFO/LAX. For LAX, they are comparable in yield (which makes sense given they are both hub to hub). For SFO, they probably have the best margin.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by tphuang
I get my data from Db1B who does a 10% sample on all the fares. I'm pretty sure that's what the dot link generates the data from too. It includes all fares. If you look into the raw data, you will see some really high prices in there for JFK-LAX that can't possibly be y fares. Let's just say there is no way AA can average over $600 a ticket on JFK-LAX in y.
I just grabbed a few quotes from AA.com for JFK-LAX for the next couple of days, and the fares range one-way from JFK-LAX between $477 and $804 between tonite and Monday in coach. The $804 is showing as a flexible fare in H (not even the full Y fare) just on the nonstops. And remember, historical fare data are not based on just non-stop flights. It's based on the booking cities, which means any available, legal connection as well. So yes, AA can in fact average over $600 a ticket, based on every single historical booking fare.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I just found it incredulous that someone further up the thread is surprised people would pick UA over DL on NYC-SFO/LAX. For LAX, they are comparable in yield (which makes sense given they are both hub to hub). For SFO, they probably have the best margin.
I find it surprising that someone would chose to fly UA on XXX-YYY where XXX and YYY are any city in the world.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
I wouldn't call that a J cabin
Agreed that was more like Y with a meal added in.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Do we know for sure that the beverages are being catered for full cabins? Aren’t the upgrades all at the gate? Maybe some beverage catering hiccups in the early days?
DL always caters for a full flight . Allows for last minute sales, with added benefit of allowing last minute upgrades to get full service. Likely (though no way to prove) also allows for lowers catering costs. Much easier for catering company to load one defined load then to have to constantly shuffle it around for each flight. If nothing else the catering company would still need to order supplies assuming a full flight even if they only get told to do a half load.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Delta has some big contracts on Wall Street. Also, I believe NBC and Fox News Channel use Delta, as a couple of their TV personalities fly weekly between Los Angeles and New York in Delta One.
This is what I was trying to get at. AA F isn't considered to be this highly better product than DL D1. A lot of high level execs/stars prefer DL. The onboard service and for some fact that it's a widebody is a huge plus. Also note that DL treats VIPs to private holding areas and other benefits we don't ever see.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium

I think some depends on where you are going? I remember flying into JFK for a trip to Wayne, NJ. That made no sense and it wasn't my idea. A lot has to do with where you are going to be going around NYC. Unless you are going to somewhere that is equal from EWR and JFK, there are reasons to pick one airport over the other.

But, it does make sense logically in that you have SFO - EWR - Europe and EWR - SFO - Asia as possibilities. UA has it coming and going and that's really unique to SFO for UA.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I find it surprising that someone would chose to fly UA on XXX-YYY where XXX and YYY are any city in the world.
There's so many reasons one would do that. One, if they want to get there more reliably and on time (UA irrops handling beats the pants off DL irrops dysfunction), if they care about an actual usable FFP with normal level availability, far superior reservations phone service to DL, better CS, and so much more.

But I know, I shouldn't engage a troll..
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
One, if they want to get there more reliably and on time (UA irrops handling beats the pants off DL irrops dysfunction) ... better CS
At least on those points, the facts do not support your claim. Even the biggest UA fanboy would struggle to make that claim with a straight face.

You arguably have a valid point on FFP. I can't recall the last time I actually called a reservations line, so I can't comment on that one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.