Wiki Posts
Search

Live from de-valued Delta One

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Alphazone
It's not correct, since there is a SFO crew base (though it is jointly managed with SEA base).
TPA, PHL, and PIT have a satellite FA base as well. Although I think the technical term is AFB (alternate flight attendant base). So I'm not sure what your point is.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by gDolan
Writing live from the dial-up-like connection here on the 6:15 JFK-SFO. 40/40 Delta One seats taken, now that anyone can upgrade. I think 18 cleared day-of-- almost half the cabin. 767-400 with 40 seats in Delta One -- that's 20 per flight attendant. Champagne has run out already. Toilets dirtying rapidly. Advantage over B6 long gone
As others have noted, the 764 flies with 4 FA's up front. You likely only saw 2 since 1 works each aisle, and the other 2 are in the galley plating, prepping carts or running food/beverage. The bit about the toilets being dirty is unfortunate, though probably has more to do with the particular individuals on your flight than the fact that business class was full. The cabin has 40 J seats because Delta thinks on certain routes they can sell 40 J seats. I used to fly JFK-LHR weekly back when the 764 was on that exclusively - Sunday and Thursday night business class would routinely go out full (with no upgrades clearing) and I never recall any cleanliness issues. I do understand frustration with so many upgrades clearing day of cheapening the experience of those who pay for it - hopefully a commensurate downgrade of food/beverage doesn't follow (though I've been told even before comp upgrades came to this route business class was always catered full, even if it wasn't sold full).
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:14 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

I never said they were a rare sight. I said I was surprised they would send such large equipment to SFO.
If you know they're common, why would you be surprised by them? I've taken widebodies from SFO to ATL/JFK more times than I can count.

I mean, if they only flew large equipment to stations with connections, how would they get them to the outstations in the first place in order to send them to hubs??? People move in both directions. You can't say it makes sense to use a widebody on SFO-ATL because of all the connections at the destination, but the opposite trip doesn't make sense.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Ridiculous. Who in their right mind would want to fly UA??!

And DL widebodies are common at SFO, that's a fact. You don't get to make up your own facts.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
That hasn't been the case in awhile. UA is doing away with first. Plus as noted even with F, no one is wanting to goto EWR. AA may get some stars, but the days of stars only flying F are gone. It's more a relic from before what J is today was around. It's not like F on AA even gets a better meal.
I can tell you for a fact that UA generates a much higher yield on EWR-SFO than DL on JFK-SFO. And AA commands higher yield even after factoring in the small cabin. SFO is far lower yielding for DL than LAX. And that's not even mentioning BOS-SFO, which is a financial disaster.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tphuang
I can tell you for a fact that UA generates a much higher yield on EWR-SFO than DL on JFK-SFO. And AA commands higher yield even after factoring in the small cabin. SFO is far lower yielding for DL than LAX. And that's not even mentioning BOS-SFO, which is a financial disaster.
What is/are the source(s) that validate your facts? Unless you have access to confidential financial data from the US3 this is not a fact. Its more likely just your opinion based on anecdotes.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:35 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
What is/are the source(s) that validate your facts? Unless you have access to confidential financial data from the US3 this is not a fact. Its more likely just your opinion based on anecdotes.
Actually this information is public.
https://data.transportation.gov/Avia...iguo/4f3n-jbg2

DL lags AA and UA in average fare on both NYC-SFO and NYC-LAX.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by bgriff

This table shows Y fares. It doesn't show premium cabin fares exclusively (or at all) and I assume that is where a lot of the margin is coming from for all carriers - last minute premium cabin sales.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by tphuang
I can tell you for a fact that UA generates a much higher yield on EWR-SFO than DL on JFK-SFO.
Well, if that statement were true, I wouldn't be surprised only because EWR-SFO is a hub to hub route for UA. SFO is not a DL hub.

DL has a much higher yield on their fortress hub non stops - check out how expensive ATL-SLC - the point is comparing hub-to-hub versus none - and based on anecdotal evidence - is hardly definitive, or even an apples-to-apples comparison.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Having flown the 767-400 recently on LAX-ATL that plane is a dump on the inside.
No clue on all the other parts people are discussing in this thread.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by gDolan
Writing live from the dial-up-like connection here on the 6:15 JFK-SFO. 40/40 Delta One seats taken, now that anyone can upgrade. I think 18 cleared day-of-- almost half the cabin. 767-400 with 40 seats in Delta One -- that's 20 per flight attendant. Champagne has run out already. Toilets dirtying rapidly. Advantage over B6 long gone
Just to be clear, you're angry that there are other people in Delta One with you?

...I can't with these people.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:07 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by gdolan
now that anyone can upgrade. I think 18 cleared day-of-- almost half the cabin.
awesome news!!!!!

Yay free upgrades!!!!!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
Having flown the 767-400 recently on LAX-ATL that plane is a dump on the inside.
That's true. The 777s are getting interior mods now, and the 764s are next in line. Hopefully starting next year.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

TPA, PHL, and PIT have a satellite FA base as well. Although I think the technical term is AFB (alternate flight attendant base). So I'm not sure what your point is.
"Small outstation" would be something like RNO. Not SFO with >10 daily frequencies, surely one of DL's top 10 domestic markets.

SFO, PHL, PIT have had international service by DL in the past decade, too.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:56 am

Well, if that statement were true, I wouldn't be surprised only because EWR-SFO is a hub to hub route for UA. SFO is not a DL hub.

DL has a much higher yield on their fortress hub non stops - check out how expensive ATL-SLC - the point is comparing hub-to-hub versus none - and based on anecdotal evidence - is hardly definitive, or even an apples-to-apples comparison.
Yes, exactly. a hub-hub operation that UA runs on EWR-SFO will always be more higher yielding than DL's hub-out station. I'm simply responding to the assertion that nobody would fly UA. DL dominates its fortress hubs more than any other airlines so it gets a huge yield premium, but UA will also get a yield premium (although smaller one) on its hub to hub routes. Nothing too scientific to it.

Airlines tend to do well on routes where they should do well on.

This table shows Y fares. It doesn't show premium cabin fares exclusively (or at all) and I assume that is where a lot of the margin is coming from for all carriers - last minute premium cabin sales.
Originally Posted by bgriff

I get my data from Db1B who does a 10% sample on all the fares. I'm pretty sure that's what the dot link generates the data from too. It includes all fares. If you look into the raw data, you will see some really high prices in there for JFK-LAX that can't possibly be y fares. Let's just say there is no way AA can average over $600 a ticket on JFK-LAX in y.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Ridiculous. Who in their right mind would want to fly UA??!

And DL widebodies are common at SFO, that's a fact. You don't get to make up your own facts.
I haven't seen a widebody on SFO-ATL in a while. I actually miss the 767s on that route. 739s are a horrible replacement IMO.

But, if I actually lived in SF and flew out of SFO, UA would be my airline. It's their hub and you can go lots of places non-stop. No one else comes close to them. But, I fly from SJC and I figured that most of the time, the time it takes to connect out of SJC makes up for the fact I don't have to get to SFO. Plus, I'm doing a lot of trips to SEA, which DL does non-stop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.