China Travel Visa Question

Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Since we have 2 separate tickets, I expect DL will see our destination as China until I show them otherwise.

I guess assessing the risk comes down to how common our situation is. It seems we'll need some level of intervention by an agent since Timatic isn't going to automatically say we're okay without a visa.

​​​

​​​​​
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by work2fly
Since we have 2 separate tickets, I expect DL will see our destination as China until I show them otherwise.

I guess assessing the risk comes down to how common our situation is. It seems we'll need some level of intervention by an agent since Timatic isn't going to automatically say we're okay without a visa.

​​​

​​​​​
The problem is the name China uses. Transit without visa. This causes a lot of agents to believe you must be connecting in the airline sense. (Under 24 hours) I got my visa because of how much a pain it was checking in. Also why I know Chinese visa doesn't expire when passport does as passport expired a few months later.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
I'm looking for recent experience flying DL and utilizing TWOV - specifically from LAX.

Our plans are as follows:

Fly LAX-PVG (DL) non-stop, arriving at PVG at 6:30pm on the 18th. We'll leave PVG for NRT (JL) at noon on the 22nd. We return to PVG at noon on the 26th and will return to LAX (DL) later that night.

We'll bring hard copy of all tickets and hotel reservations (both Shanghai and Tokyo) and a printout of the relevant TWOV rules from Timatic.

Is this a simple enough situation such that we shouldn't expect any issues from DL staff in LAX?

FWIW, getting Chinese visas probably wouldn't be too difficult for us, given our close proximity to SF. However, our passports expire at the end of 2019, and ideally we'd apply for 10 year visas after the new passports are issued, so as to get more use from them.

Thanks in advance.
This itinerary qualifies for TWOV. The key to success is to give yourself plenty of time (an extra 60-120 minutes) in LAX to allow time for an expert agent to help you check in. You hopefully won't need the extra time, but if you allow for the possibility of a temporary issue at check in, you'll have a more relaxing experience.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Just to verify I am traveling to Beijing from the US with an outward flight booked 48 hours later to South Korea, and then return to Beijing after 3 days for 36 hours and have a return flight to the United States.

Based on my understanding of the travel waiver visa and Beijing have a 72 hour option I should be ok to just get a onward travel visa stamp upon arrival in Beijing in both directions?

(Yes I have a US Passport)
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Just to verify I am traveling to Beijing from the US with an outward flight booked 48 hours later to South Korea, and then return to Beijing after 3 days for 36 hours and have a return flight to the United States.

Based on my understanding of the travel waiver visa and Beijing have a 72 hour option I should be ok to just get a onward travel visa stamp upon arrival in Beijing in both directions?

(Yes I have a US Passport)
Correct. Note it's 144hr now.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

​​​

​​​​​
I am in China now, having used TWOV to enter. Flew in on DL from the US. Will be flying out on LH to Europe. As risk alleviation on my part to ensure I didnt have an agent try to deny boarding in the US becuase they were confused, what I did was I called DL a couple months prior and had an agent verify that Id be good to go with TWOV and then had the agent place a note in the reservation that I would be using TWOV but had a departure on another airline.

You will be asked for a printout of your outbound itinerary both at check-in with DL since they wont be able to see the outbound reservation and you will need the printout of the outbound itinerary (with the airline confirmation number) when processing the TWOV line upon entry into China.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Oct 2, 2018 at 9:13 pm Reason: Fix Typos
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Also note the TWOV line at PVG is usually long and slow. You don't get to use the regular lanes that those with visas get to use. If lucky two agents will work the line, most times just one.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

I am in China now, having used TWOV to enter. Flew in on DL from the US. Will be flying out on LH to Europe. As risk alleviation on my part to ensure I didnt have an agent try to deny boarding in the US becuase they were confused, what I did was I called DL a couple months prior and had an agent verify that Id be good to go with TWOV and then had the agent place a note in the reservation that I would be using TWOV but had a departure on another airline.

You will be asked for a printout of your outbound itinerary both at check-in with DL since they wont be able to see the outbound reservation and you will need the printout of the outbound itinerary (with the airline confirmation number) when processing the TWOV line upon entry into China.
Honestly, this step probably didn't make a lick of difference wrt your permission to board. The only resource that matters is TIMATIC on the day of departure.

@flyerCO: I, personally, wouldn't want to tote around 2 passports for 9 years. Since vincentharris has a TWOV compliant itinerary, I think it makes sense for him to use TWOV this time.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moondog
Honestly, this step probably didn't make a lick of difference wrt your permission to board. The only resource that matters is TIMATIC on the day of departure.

@flyerCO: I, personally, wouldn't want to tote around 2 passports for 9 years. Since vincentharris has a TWOV compliant itinerary, I think it makes sense for him to use TWOV this time.
I can't disagree on tgat point. However 1)the TWOV line is usually long and slow, and most importantly 2)it eliminates issues with agents at checkin. While I always got onboard, in all but one case I had to argue. I believe MSP was even denied boarding once.

Thus IMO it's way to much hassle/risk compared to bringing a 2nd passport. Also you only need it for trips to China. Don't have to haul it everywhere.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:16 pm

1)the TWOV line is usually long and slow, and most importantly
I don't pay much attention to lines any more because I've been using the electronic gates for the better part of a year. Furthermore, I have never entered China without a visa or rp. That having been said, in the long thread in the China forum, many people seem to prefer TWOV based on the belief that the lines are shorter. I never questioned this because TWOV volumes are not especially large in the grand scheme (e.g. ~2000 per year at PVG).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moondog
I don't pay much attention to lines any more because I've been using the electronic gates for the better part of a year. Furthermore, I have never entered China without a visa or rp. That having been said, in the long thread in the China forum, many people seem to prefer TWOV based on the belief that the lines are shorter. I never questioned this because TWOV volumes are not especially large in the grand scheme (e.g. ~2000 per year at PVG).
AT least IME PVG TWOV line was always long and slow. PEK was not bad. My experiences were just under 2 years ago so YMMV today.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's no problem for the Chinese authorities, but there might be an issue with whether DL will permit you to board.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
AT least IME PVG TWOV line was always long and slow. PEK was not bad. My experiences were just under 2 years ago so YMMV today.
At SHA, TWOV is fast and easy (same line as others, but may take them a while to find the right stamp - at least it did the last time I was there). Try to avoid flying into PVG and fly into the more conveniently located SHA airport there, I suggest. Going to the city will be also much faster and cheaper from SHA vs. PVG.

PVG TWOV is slow (unlike transit that is pretty decent with the electronic passport readers).

PEK it's longish but better than PVG.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RealHJ
At SHA, TWOV is fast and easy (same line as others, but may take them a while to find the right stamp - at least it did the last time I was there). Try to avoid flying into PVG and fly into the more conveniently located SHA airport there, I suggest. Going to the city will be also much faster and cheaper from SHA vs. PVG.

PVG TWOV is slow (unlike transit that is pretty decent with the electronic passport readers).

PEK it's longish but better than PVG.
Love SHA over PVG. Only problem is that it has few international flights compared with PVG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.