Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Purchase intra-asia flights through Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold

Can I purchase intra-asia flights from Delta? I have a $900 Delta eCredit that I want to use. I've been searching Delta.com for anything from HKG or CAN, but it looks like this isn't possible. I'm rather flexible as I'll be in the region on vacation for 2-3 weeks. Not so concerned about obtaining MQM/MQD/RDM, but that would be an added benefit if possible.

Terms: The face amount of this eCredit may be applied to the purchase of any ticket for passenger travel within the Delta system worldwide on Delta/Delta Shuttle/Delta Connection, Air France, KLM, and Delta designated codeshare flights. What are the available Delta designated intra-asia codeshare flights?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can certainly purchase DL operated intraAsia flights, such as NRT-SIN, as standalone tickets from DL and any intraAsia codeshares that are applicable. DL agents might be able to act like your travel agent and sell tickets on partner airlines even without DL segments on the same PNR.

However, I suspect you're really asking whether these partner operated intraAsia flights can be purchased from DL under the DL codeshare flight number (in order to use your credit). Unfortunately, in general this won't work unless you purchase these segments as part of a ticket that does include DL operated (for example TPAC) flights.YMMV: you need to call DL and ask about the particular routes that interest you.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
....What are the available Delta designated intra-asia codeshare flights?
There are lots of those yet they are only available to book by DL as connecting flights to/from DL operated flights. What is your O/D?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
There are lots of those yet they are only available to book by DL as connecting flights to/from DL operated flights. What is your O/D?
I begin the journey with one-way award travel PDX-SEA-HKG. I will tool around Asia for a few weeks before returning to PDX.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL GM
Can I purchase intra-asia flights from Delta? I have a $900 Delta eCredit that I want to use. I've been searching Delta.com for anything from HKG or CAN, but it looks like this isn't possible. I'm rather flexible as I'll be in the region on vacation for 2-3 weeks. Not so concerned about obtaining MQM/MQD/RDM, but that would be an added benefit if possible.

Terms: The face amount of this eCredit may be applied to the purchase of any ticket for passenger travel within the Delta system worldwide on Delta/Delta Shuttle/Delta Connection, Air France, KLM, and Delta designated codeshare flights. What are the available Delta designated intra-asia codeshare flights?
I've purchased HKG-PVG on delta.com but operated by MU a few times, don't recall if it had a DL codeshare #. Last time I purchased HKG-PVG-NRT on delta.com with HKG-PVG flown on MU metal and PVG-NRT on DL metal. I think a flight like that might work. Guess it depends where you're headed within Asia. You may be better off trying to call on this one because I'm guessing the website won't be too cooperative.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME delta.dumb tends to say that a lot of routes (for instance to smaller cities in Europe) aren't served, but when I call, a DL DM agent can put together a ticket using flights (sometimes DM codeshares) operated by AF/KLM.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Guess it depends where you're headed within Asia. You may be better off trying to call on this one because I'm guessing the website won't be too cooperative.
I'm really flexible. I'm looking at DPS, BKK, PQC, PEN, TPE, KUL, HKT, CAN, SIN, MNL, CEB, SGN, HAN, KHH, BKI, VTE, MLE, REP. All I can find on delta.com is NRT-SIN & NRT-MNL. I guess I'll have to call this one in.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:24 pm

I'm really flexible. I'm looking at DPS, BKK, PQC, PEN, TPE, KUL, HKT, CAN, SIN, MNL, CEB, SGN, HAN, KHH, BKI, VTE, MLE, REP. All I can find on delta.com is NRT-SIN & NRT-MNL. I guess I'll have to call this one in.
I would definitely recommend calling, especially if you're looking to/from HKG where DL just isn't going to have any intra-Asia presence. They should be able to price together some flights for you that hopefully work for your eCredit. MU to China, CI to TPE or VN to HAN, SGN or BKK (via SGN) are potential ST partners that might work. I know I've gotten DL to price out MU flights on DL tickets so CI or VN should also be possible, though I don't know if your credit would work. If you use your credit flying out of airports other than HKG your options expand a bit. KLM has a direct flight from SIN to DPS for example.

I did a trip like this last August. NRT, SIN, BKK, HKG, PVG back to NRT. All SkyTeam except SIN-BKK and BKK-HKG which I flew F on Thai Airways using up the last of my UA miles. Starting in HKG is going to limit your flight options on SkyTeam airlines, but it does help that you're much more centralized within Asia. If DL will price out flights on VN as a codeshare, you'd be able to knock out quite a few of your targets.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta has 5th freedom rights to sell NRT-SIN/MNL. For a DL-coded/MU-operated PVG-DPS flight as a stand-alone? Forget it.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:28 pm

IIRC DL used to be able to sell NRT-ICN, NRT-KUL etc. as stand alone flights, but they tended to not offer much below FULL Y/FULL J inventory in order to preserve it for married segments with DL TATL flights. I suspect NRT-SIN is the same situation.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Broadly speaking without looking into details, I assume that DL inherited from NW broad 5th freedom rights to/from Japan, Hong Kong, and many other parts of Asia. However, I doubt DL could sell a codeshare intra-Asia partner flight as its own. Other than NRT-MNL/SIN, does DL even publish intra-Asia fares other than the token Y/B placeholders?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC DL used to be able to sell NRT-ICN, NRT-KUL etc. as stand alone flights, but they tended to not offer much below FULL Y/FULL J inventory in order to preserve it for married segments with DL TATL flights. I suspect NRT-SIN is the same situation.
It is weird, looking at NRT-SIN one way right now, the cheapest Y fare is $2289 USD and books into H and is like that the rest of the calendar year. D1 is $3034 one way and books into J. As recently as last year, I had booked NRT-SIN stand alone for $600 in discount J but that seems to be completely out the window. Looks like PVG-NRT is still available for fairly cheap one way, coach books into Q and I've gotten an opup on that route every time I've flown it.

DL almost completely divesting itself of stand alone intra-Asia routes is unfortunate because I can't say I'm really fond of their mainland China partners.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Broadly speaking without looking into details, I assume that DL inherited from NW broad 5th freedom rights to/from Japan, Hong Kong, and many other parts of Asia. However, I doubt DL could sell a codeshare intra-Asia partner flight as its own. Other than NRT-MNL/SIN, does DL even publish intra-Asia fares other than the token Y/B placeholders?
DL can only sell DL codeshare flight numbers if it's in connection with an actual DL flight. Thus SIN-NRT on DL and then NRT-PEK as DL codeshare on MU/CZ is fine. However SIN-PEK directly, using a DL codeshare number isn't.

They also will sell some of partner's fares. ie I've bought many a KLM SIN-DPS or KLM KUL-CGK fare directly from DL. However DL won't sell a GA SIN-DPS fare. Really just depends how close the partner is. I don't believe they'll even sell MU fares.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Don't forget that you can often put together a trip on multiple airlines, including non-Sky Team airlines, through ITA Flight Matrix, copy the flights and paste into Book with Flights, which will give you an option to book through Delta. Does that make sense? See here: A New Way To Book Flights Directly From ITA Matrix - The Frequent Miler
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
KLM has a direct flight from SIN to DPS for example.
KLM also flies between Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta.

Ethiopian Airlines, which is Star Alliance, also flies between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.