Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MQD cancelled on cancelled flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

MQD cancelled on cancelled flight

In flying the family home internationally for the holidays, we purchased J on DL ticket stock to increase our spend(MQD) and miles(MQM) to make GM status for the kids. Unfortunately our first leg had mechanical problems and was cancelled and we were re-reouted to LH/UA. At the time of the flight, the DL agent on the phone said that the status would be taken care of because it was not our fault and we purchased the tickets with DL.

Now 3 months later and multiple phone calls to Skymiles, transfers to customer service, referral to customer service website with webform completion, referral to DL/AF partnership office, their flat response is "you didn't fly with Delta so you do not get the MQM or MQD". We were offered the opportunity to pay several hundred dollars per person to buy the status for the kids.

When this happened in the past, they always gave the credit as if we flew the flight.

Delta still got the money, Delta failed to provide the flight and rerouted us, shouldn't we still get status? When did this change happen? Why? Has it happened to others?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the flight status still show as "OPEN" in the receipts? That may be inhibiting the credit. If they could change it to "FLWN" it might go through. It would remove any residual value from the ticket.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 27, 2018 at 8:08 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by trnflyr
In flying the family home internationally for the holidays, we purchased J on DL ticket stock to increase our spend(MQD) and miles(MQM) to make GM status for the kids. Unfortunately our first leg had mechanical problems and was cancelled and we were re-reouted to LH/UA. At the time of the flight, the DL agent on the phone said that the status would be taken care of because it was not our fault and we purchased the tickets with DL.

Now 3 months later and multiple phone calls to Skymiles, transfers to customer service, referral to customer service website with webform completion, referral to DL/AF partnership office, their flat response is "you didn't fly with Delta so you do not get the MQM or MQD". We were offered the opportunity to pay several hundred dollars per person to buy the status for the kids.

When this happened in the past, they always gave the credit as if we flew the flight.

Delta still got the money, Delta failed to provide the flight and rerouted us, shouldn't we still get status? When did this change happen? Why? Has it happened to others?
This is absolutely unacceptable. Ask for Original Routine Credit.
trnflyr likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the questions and outrage "unacceptable", DL reps say it was not flown on DL (or skyteam at that) and credits will only be given for flown on DL/ST. They just keep giving the run around.

To add insult to injury, the LH/UA flight was delayed which led to a missed connection, and overnight stay, and rerouting to SQ. It was a nice SQ flight but 40 hours later and no MQD and MQM and lower status for the kids.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
Original routing credit or ORC is what it’s typically called. Definitely ask for this if you haven’t already (though it sounds like you may have). Check the receipts as mentioned before to see if it’s OPEN or FLWN. I’ve asked for ORC and received it in a similar situation as you but it was years and years ago.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

I just checked the online receipts. Receipt status is showing "EXCH". I assume that means exchanged. I would guess that is what they use for routed onto a different airline.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by trnflyr

Maybe try the SkyMiles Team on here? or write snail mail to Sandeep Dube or whomever runs the SkyMiles program?

Basically, by flying another carrier, you wiped out the MQD. I would have insisted DL or another partner that gives the credit, as what a rogue agent says they cannot always enforce (as you are seeing play out) and their system doesn't give credit for non-alliance partners.

The only time I have accepted DL reroutes on a non-ST carrier is when its an award...because there's no frequent flyer credit anyways. Every other time, there is ALWAYS a Delta, partner, or Delta codeshare option that they can somehow put through (or I can wait a little bit for).
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
I had a situation two years ago when flying from SFO>SEA>ICN, when the inbound E175 to fly the SFO>SEA sector had a cockpit door which opened on the flight and wouldn't close or lock. So with the delay while DL try to fix it and then ultimately substituted another E175 which was going to make me miss the SEA>ICN flight, DL booked me on a direct SFO>ICN flight on UA, leaving within the hour, in economy class as that was what I was booked in, and I received the MQMs, which UA awarded, and the MQDs as if I had flown the original DL flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.