Search

Using GUC to IAS - Jan '19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Using GUC to IAS - Jan '19

I need to fly OKC-IAS in January 2019 and want to use GUCs for D1 upgrades,

The DL web will not show me flights through to IAS but cuts me off at OTP. Will my best choice land on buying a separate ticket for OTP-IAS-OTP?

If DL can get a through ticket using DL medal to AMS/CDG (likely through MSP to get the 333), will the price be too high for a unified ticket? Will the GUCs apply OTP-IAS-OTP flying AF/KLM out CDG/AMS?

I have never been to IAS and my last OTP trip was over 20 years ago.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:54 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Find an itinerary on ITA and then either call or use www.bookwithmatrix.com to book it .
bgriff likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you tried calling DL to ask whether the DM agent can put IAS segments on a DL ticket? Tarum is a SkyTeam partner, so this should be possible, although you might need a real live human travel agent to do it, which then leads to its own problems.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:23 am
Original Poster

I will call DL this morning but I was searching for insights from those who know this route since I was not clear on the options that allow GUCs on a unified ticket to IAS.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
ITA finds published Delta fares with a single component OKC-IAS, although it's certainly not the cheapest fare in the market.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you tried calling DL to ask whether the DM agent can put IAS segments on a DL ticket? Tarum is a SkyTeam partner, so this should be possible, although you might need a real live human travel agent to do it, which then leads to its own problems.
I called DL and was told that Tarom is not ST. I was also reminded that I must use KLM ex-AMS not AF-Ex-CDG to use GUCs to OTP.

DL could not do a unified ticket to IAS which translates into a long layover at OTP for Tarom to IAS . On the return I would spend the night at OTP to catch at 6 am KLM flight to AMS.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Xeno
I called DL and was told that Tarom is not ST.
Don't believe everything you hear:
https://www.skyteam.com/en/about/tarom/
bubbashow likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I called DL and was told that Tarom is not ST. I was also reminded that I must use KLM ex-AMS not AF-Ex-CDG to use GUCs to OTP.

DL could not do a unified ticket to IAS which translates into a long layover at OTP for Tarom to IAS . On the return I would spend the night at OTP to catch at 6 am KLM flight to AMS.
When did Tarom leave SkyTeam? Check again. It might help if you tell the DM phone agent the two letter code for this airline and maybe even the specific flight numbers if you can easily find this information yourself.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

Tarom is certainly SkyTeam. Maybe the agent meant GUCs aren't valid on Tarom?

That GUCs are good on AF only for the TATL portion is not new. It's documented.

I wouldn't go out of my way - and overnight in OTP is out of my way - to fly KL versus AF for the intra-Europe business product on a 2:45 flight. There are same-day returns possible, like IAS-OTP-BRU on Tarom + BRU-ATL-OKC on Delta. (That had a single-component AF fare, actually.) IAS-OTP-MUC-ATL-OKC, too.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Okay, I will be better informed when I call back but the central issue with Tarom was not the lack of using a GUC or getting credit but she was not able to book a unified ticket period. I thought in the past that DL would use the GUC as far as possible but then the fare would bump when they added flying economy to a city like IAS.

I thought the only way to make it back to OKC in one flying day was to fly Tarom IAS-OTP-CDG which is what DL suggested. The 3 hour flight to CDG is long enough that I would prefer to spend the night and might even try and connect with some friends in Bucharest. However, I will look at BRU and other connections.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
You may also want to check LCCs to IAS and just fly to another DL EU destination.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

I bought the ticket and have a new question. I was able to use GUCs on flights I had chosen. Only waitlist is OKC-MSP.

Edited to say my only choice on arrival is a 5:30 pm flight OTP-IAS.

Does anyone know if the VIP lounge in the domestic terminal allows free access for ST elite plus?

Last edited by Xeno; Mar 29, 2018 at 1:41 pm Reason: correct flight departure time
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:04 am
Original Poster

I bought the ticket and have a new question. I was able to use GUCs on flights I had chosen.

Does anyone know if the VIP lounge in the domestic terminal allows free access for ST elite plus?
I leave Monday for this trip that is now OKC-ATL-AMS-OTP with a few hours layover then Tarom on to ISA.

I think there is no PP lounge at OTP, so would the ST lounge let me in while I wait for my economy Tarom flight to ISA? I did use the GUCs so my DL/KLM ticket is D1.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I leave Monday for this trip that is now OKC-ATL-AMS-OTP with a few hours layover then Tarom on to ISA.

I think there is no PP lounge at OTP, so would the ST lounge let me in while I wait for my economy Tarom flight to ISA? I did use the GUCs so my DL/KLM ticket is D1.
Why can't you use the Tarom lounge at OTP? You'll have access to it.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Why can't you use the Tarom lounge at OTP? You'll have access to it.
I did not know that was the case, thank you.

So it will not be an issue that I am flying into the international terminal and out of the domestic terminal on a Tarom economy ticket? In other words, is the Tarom lounge in the domestic terminal and if so does it advertise ST?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.