Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booking C+/PE on a mixed DL/KLM itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton

I'm looking at a possible trip to Kenya for vacation in the Fall. The most logical itinerary for me to get there looks to be TYS -> ATL/DTW ->AMS on DL and then AMS -> NBO on KLM metal. In coach, the trip prices out just under $1200. The only other option available for direct booking through either website appears to be business class at > $10,000. I normally fly in C+/PE on this type of route, but it's not listed as an option. Looking at DL.com, I can book a flight TYS-AMS in C+ for ~ $350 more than main cabin. Likewise, I can book the C+ equivalent (economy comfort?) on KLM from AMS-NBO for about $180. Booking the two separately adds ~ $1000 to the cost for economy though, plus would leave my connections out of AMS unprotected in the case of IRROPS.

Would I be able to book this route for $1200 plus the ~$530 upfare through a phone agent? Would I be better booking coach first and calling in during the 24-hour period to buy up?

Would I be better booking this through DL or KLM? I would be using my DL SM account (GM status) if that matters. I'm curious how the two would differ in terms of MQM/MQD earnings, lounge access, and (however unlikely) upgrades.

I also see that the AMS-NBO route is a on 747. I might be tempted to bump up to business class on one or both legs if I could get the upper deck since I'll probably never have the opportunity again. Does anyone familiar with this route know how likely I would be to get a FCM (BCM?) offer from KLM for one leg? It looked like the fare difference was about $1600 for main -> business for AMS-NBO-AMS. That might be in my price range to book directly, but if there's a high probability of getting a good FCM offer I might roll the dice.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
KL does not offer a PE product; they have Economy Comfort (equal to DL's Comfort+)

You might want to check AF, as they have a dedicated PE product.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
I recently booked MSN-ATL-CDG-MAD, where the last segment is on Air France. Instead of booking a "through" comfort plus fare, I upgraded just ATL-CDG from the seat map after purchasing. CDG-MAD also shows exit rows available for a charge, so maybe a KLM flight would do the same. You can always book it through Delta and cancel in 24 hours if it doesn't let you pick the seats you want.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Flew upper deck KLM last week.

Very quiet, but it is 2X2 so there are no good seats. You either have to climb or be climbed over......

Bags will not fit in overhead, they have to be stored in the closet (which FA's are used to)

I was kind of excited about it, and it was fine, but I prefer other configurations
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, you can't currently buy C+ for routes that go beyond AMS/CDG.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...-transatl.html
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by rwoman
KL does not offer a PE product; they have Economy Comfort (equal to DL's Comfort+)

You might want to check AF, as they have a dedicated PE product.
Thanks. I flew the AF PE from DTW-CDG-ATL last Fall and it wasn't bad. It's not really a good option in this case though because AF doesn't fly to NBO. An AF itinerary either comes out as DL->ATL; AF->CDG; and then Kenya Airways to NBO or (I kid you not) connecting from ATL-CDG-AMS on AF and then the same KLM AMS-NBO flight. Taking a trip on three different carriers doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Originally Posted by blitzcon
I recently booked MSN-ATL-CDG-MAD, where the last segment is on Air France. Instead of booking a "through" comfort plus fare, I upgraded just ATL-CDG from the seat map after purchasing. CDG-MAD also shows exit rows available for a charge, so maybe a KLM flight would do the same. You can always book it through Delta and cancel in 24 hours if it doesn't let you pick the seats you want.
Thanks. Yes, I'll try and do that if I can although the link above suggested that might not be possible.

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Flew upper deck KLM last week.

Very quiet, but it is 2X2 so there are no good seats. You either have to climb or be climbed over......

Bags will not fit in overhead, they have to be stored in the closet (which FA's are used to)

I was kind of excited about it, and it was fine, but I prefer other configurations
Thanks for the trip report. I guess it would mostly be for the experience of flying in the upper deck of the 747 rather than the seats themselves. I've never flown on the upper deck before, and now it seems like the number of opportunities to ever do so are fading fast.

Originally Posted by LBJ
FYI, you can't currently buy C+ for routes that go beyond AMS/CDG.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...-transatl.html
Very odd, and sounds like that's been going on since February so not just a short-term thing. I would have to think this is costing DL money as most travelers to CDG/AMS are making a connection to somewhere else. It does mention there might be a way for TAs to work around it, so worth a shot calling in I suppose. If I can't get C+ or they want some outrageous price, are upgrades to C+ still possible on these TATL routes? I might route through DTW for a better shot at the upgrade if that's possible and I can't buy up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.