Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Third MQM Award Level for Reserve/Plat Cards (targeted)

New Third MQM Award Level for Reserve/Plat Cards (targeted)

Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:41 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Look, just save everyone some time and report back after you sue Amex and let us know how it worked out.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by vbjd1111
Just received a notice that in addition to the existing 15K MQM awards for $30K in spending (one at $30K level, another at $60K level), there will be another 15K MQM award at $90K. Clicking to the website via the link, it says that this is "for 2018" which may indicate it's a one timer.
Thanks for posting this. I searched my email archive and found the email dated 3/26/2018. At first I was excited and then I remembered the $250,000 waiver threshold.

For the last three years my wife and I have each had Delta Reserve cards. We would use her's until the spend hit $60K. She would "gift" the Bonus MQMs to me. After we spent $120K we would start using another card. Those Bonus MQMs made it very easy to maintain my DM status, even as my BIS miles gradually declined. This year we switched after $30K spend on her card.

I am now have about 72K MQMs and about $25K spend on my card. Can easily qualify for PM, but I am seriously considering putting my card in the drawer, putting the next $35K on my Sapphire Reserve and not flying on Delta for the rest of the year. I have used Delta almost exclusively for nearly 20 years. Was GM for the first year or two, then PM and DM for the last 9 years. Old habits are hard to let go of, but the $250K waiver threshold is a deal breaker. And I won't let the targeted offer lure me into using the AX just to get a bunch of roll-over MQMs while I remain at DM.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
I checked with AMEX today on this since our last statement had exceeded $90,000 of spend for 2018. She said the offer is on a solicitation basis and not for all cardmembers.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Why hasn't Am Ex taken down that page? Seems like a simple fix, especially since they aren't honoring the offer for non-targeted members.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:59 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
I got it!

Spend last year: $60087 (+ fee)
Targeted with original email
Reminded in late August via email
Cleared $90k threshold earlier this month and put card in drawer
Statement closed yesterday
MQMs and RDMs posted to my account today

NOTE: posting was automatic there was no option so gift the MQMs to someone else as there is when crossing the other thresholds and no page on delta.com to make that choice.
JayTeaBee likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Plat AmEx sent me something similar at the beginning of the year
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Originally Posted by kpbadger
I got it!

Spend last year: $60087 (+ fee)
Targeted with original email
Reminded in late August via email
Cleared $90k threshold earlier this month and put card in drawer
Statement closed yesterday
MQMs and RDMs posted to my account today

NOTE: posting was automatic — there was no option so gift the MQMs to someone else as there is when crossing the other thresholds and no page on delta.com to make that choice.
I also had the same situation - I got the original email in March, received an email about a month ago that I was at $82k of spend and was close to getting the bonus. I crossed $90k spend this month and the 15k MQMs automatically posted to my account with no chance to have a decision to either keep or gift them.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Skymiles
MQM gifting

Originally Posted by Renes Points
You can only gift MQMs from Reserve cards. There should be no restriction on the 3rd spend bonus so yes it should be possible to give all 45,000 to someone else.
Im at my $60k+ on DR but likely wont make the $90k spend. Am I wrong or do gifted MQMs not count toward Medalion status?
If I my wife throws me some MQMs are they just wasted if the goal is using them to secure Plat?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Chubbahill

Im at my $60k+ on DR but likely wont make the $90k spend. Am I wrong or do gifted MQMs not count toward Medalion status?
If I my wife throws me some MQMs are they just wasted if the goal is using them to secure Plat?
They definitely count.

If they didn't, what would be the point of gifting them?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by josephstern
They definitely count.

If they didn't, what would be the point of gifting them?
Thx, I was under the impression that gifted MQMs didnt count toward status, but that makes no sense.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Did anyone targeted for the 3rd MQM Boost get theirs early? As in before they qualified? I have a Delta Platinum Amex and received the promo in March, hit my first bonus May, second bonus in September and received a reminder about the third shortly after that. I just received the third but my records, Delta's SM spend tracker and my last Amex statement + new transactions all = $66.5K, so well short of the $75K required for the 3rd Plat boost. My statement closes on the 25th and my MQM's reliably post on the 27th but these posted on the 10th. My airfare is booked through EOY and I prefer to put my hotels on my Chase Ritz Visa if possible so I'd like to stop using it if this is going to stick. I'd also like to change paying my property taxes from Plastiq next month to the regular method to avoid those fees. Any thoughts on this? Or should I keep going to make sure I get and keep it?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by vbjd1111
Just received a notice that in addition to the existing 15K MQM awards for $30K in spending (one at $30K level, another at $60K level), there will be another 15K MQM award at $90K. Clicking to the website via the link, it says that this is "for 2018" which may indicate it's a one timer.
I'm guessing this is targeted, as I didn't receive it
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bergamini
Did anyone targeted for the 3rd MQM Boost get theirs early? As in before they qualified? I have a Delta Platinum Amex and received the promo in March, hit my first bonus May, second bonus in September and received a reminder about the third shortly after that. I just received the third but my records, Delta's SM spend tracker and my last Amex statement + new transactions all = $66.5K, so well short of the $75K required for the 3rd Plat boost. My statement closes on the 25th and my MQM's reliably post on the 27th but these posted on the 10th. My airfare is booked through EOY and I prefer to put my hotels on my Chase Ritz Visa if possible so I'd like to stop using it if this is going to stick. I'd also like to change paying my property taxes from Plastiq next month to the regular method to avoid those fees. Any thoughts on this? Or should I keep going to make sure I get and keep it?
Yes, I got my 3rd bonus early. No notification of anything, just showed up in my account when I was still about 8-9k short of 90k on the Reserve. Was tempted to stop but I figured it would be safest to keep going (and was also secretly hoping that it might trigger an accidental 4th bonus -- it didn't). Hard to say how to proceed, depends on your risk tolerance. For me I was really relying on the extra MQM boost this year so I wanted to be 100% sure my bases were covered.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nkedge
Yes, I got my 3rd bonus early. No notification of anything, just showed up in my account when I was still about 8-9k short of 90k on the Reserve. Was tempted to stop but I figured it would be safest to keep going (and was also secretly hoping that it might trigger an accidental 4th bonus -- it didn't). Hard to say how to proceed, depends on your risk tolerance. For me I was really relying on the extra MQM boost this year so I wanted to be 100% sure my bases were covered.
That's pretty much how many I'm short. I guess I will be safe rather than sorry, like you did.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
IIRC there was an incident a few years (without the third boost promo) where a lot of people got an unexpected extra boost -- and there was speculation or a report that a batch job accidentally got run a second time or something like that. On my phone now, will try to dig up some thread pointer later unless someone beats me to it.

Anyway I wonder if that happened again (we'd probably need a few more data points first).

My recollection is that they subsequently reversed the "bonus".

Last edited by Zorak; Nov 12, 2018 at 8:12 am Reason: autocorrect damage

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.