Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Third MQM Award Level for Reserve/Plat Cards (targeted)

New Third MQM Award Level for Reserve/Plat Cards (targeted)

Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I tried calling and no luck and rep was clueless.

Good way to encourage people with multi am ex cards to keep them and go the $250K spend now. In the past I used to put $220K in spend in betwween a business and personal reserve and platinum. If others are in the situation and get targeted they can get another 15K MQMS on the additional spend for the $250k.and not only meet the MQM requirement receive 115K MQM and only require 10K MQM in flying to remain diamond.

Wonder why they are targeting it?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
......If others are in the situation and get targeted they can get another 15K MQMS on the additional spend for the $250k.and not only meet the MQM requirement receive 115K MQM and only require 10K MQM in flying to remain diamond....
I read this offer as one time 15K MQM only. The max you can get with Reserve is 45K MQM.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
It's not very helpful for me. With Diamond now out of reach, there's no reason to pile up more MQMs. I fly high Gold to low Platinum, and an Amex MQM bonus ensure I won't miss Platinum even in a slow travel year. There's no longer any value for me in pushing farther. Chase Sapphire Reserve gets the bulk of my spend now.
And for those who want to stay with Amex, the regular Amex Platinum card comes with lounge access and 5x points (instead of 2x) on all airline (not just Delta) purchases.
JesseRohr and Seabilly like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by TerryK
I read this offer as one time 15K MQM only. The max you can get with Reserve is 45K MQM.
Sorry was referring to people that have both personal and business reserve and platinum am ex cards. If someone puts in $220K a year in spend on the four which would max out all eight MQM boosts that amounts to 100 MQMs. If someone in that situation decides to give Am Ex another $30K to meet the waiver and uses that Reserve card that will get them to exactly the $250K spend for the MQM waiver and a total of 115K MQMs.

But if someone is only flying Delta 10K miles a year there are cards that will give a much better return on $250K in spend than the benefits they'll get on Diamond as a delta for those few of trips.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
I was wondering where you were getting your math from, but looks like no one with the Business card is getting the offer so you are off by 15K MQMs.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Wonder why they are targeting it?
My GUESS is that since I have Reserve and Plat I am not a target. The thing is I would cancel the Plat that I have for my wife and get the Reserve for her. Oh well.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Can't say why I was targeted (if I was), but I generally hit the $60K spend target and then direct my spending elsewhere. I assume AMEX's algorithms are intelligent enough to discern that; perhaps they believe they have a real chance of enticing me to stay for an additional $30K of spending.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
Originally Posted by michellt
Received for my Plat (which has almost no spend this year) but not for my Reserve (which is at $50K already). Sounds like they want these cards in our wallets but the $250K waiver is ridic.
Neither have it, and for what its worth my spend so far this year has been fairly high
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vbjd1111
Can't say why I was targeted (if I was), but I generally hit the $60K spend target and then direct my spending elsewhere. I assume AMEX's algorithms are intelligent enough to discern that; perhaps they believe they have a real chance of enticing me to stay for an additional $30K of spending.
As soon as I reach the minimum spend for the MQM boost on any of my Am Ex cards it goes in the drawer until January 1, even on Delta purchases my chase saphire reserves gives a better return plus I have trip protection on the purchase. That's why I'm surprised I'm not targeted
Gig103 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Didnt get the email myself, tweeted at amex and they just pointed me to the website about the card. Busy day so havent bothered to call and poke more. Will be quite annoyed if i didnt get it -_-
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I got same offer too. I average about 70-75K/yr, so now I have to figure out how to find other avenues to spend :0. Not gonna be easy.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I was wondering where you were getting your math from, but looks like no one with the Business card is getting the offer so you are off by 15K MQMs.
I believe his maths are mostly correct.

30K - $60K - Reserve BIZ
45K - $90K - Reserve Personal
20K - $50K - Platinum BIZ
30K - $75K - Platinum Personal

125K total MQMs on $275K total spend.

DM without actually flying a single mile.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Maths work, yes. But, why?

(Mostly tongue in cheek - I know half the time these are purely academic arguments.)
TheHorta likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by TheHorta

I believe his maths are mostly correct.

30K - $60K - Reserve BIZ
45K - $90K - Reserve Personal
20K - $50K - Platinum BIZ
30K - $75K - Platinum Personal

125K total MQMs on $275K total spend.

Of course, as I have continually pointed out, the DM that doesn't actually travel represents little competition to the other DMs!
TheHorta likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm surprised they are even doing this. I thought the reason for increasing the MQD waiver to $250K was to "thin the herds" By giving an additional 15K MQMs won't this result in more PM, GM and FOs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.