Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL - Clear Relationship Expands: Now Use BiomeTrics to Enter SCs

Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum

This may have already been discussed as I'm usually late to the game, but I saw this article this morning:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ges/457611002/

Basically, DL has installed Clear biometric readers in all 50 SCs and you can now check in using your fingerprint. All Clear members with SC memberships have been automatically opted in to the program. Not sure how I feel about my biometric information being shared in ways I had not expected / explicitly authorized without my express approval.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
The use of Clear and my biometric info took me by surprise as well and I'm not sure how I feel about it, although it will speed up Sky Club check-in.

Additional details here as well:

Delta to Offer Biometric Check-in at 50 Sky Club Locations

Delta Air Lines announced the launch of Delta Biometrics at 50 locations across the United States.

Delta Biometrics is powered by Clear, a registered traveler program operated in association with the TSA, and supports a secure biometric check-in.

The program allows Delta Sky Club members with Clear to use fingerprints to enter all 50 Sky Club airport lounges operated by the carrier in the United States...

<SNIP>
This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by jspira
The use of Clear and my biometric info took me by surprise as well and I'm not sure how I feel about it, although it will speed up Sky Club check-in.
Not sure why it would speed up check-in.. all you need now is a boarding pass which requires a quick scan. It's Delta's choice that the boarding pass "requires" an agent to do the scan (could just as well be an automated gate/kiosk).

As is pretty much every other airport use (for passengers), biometrics are wholly unnecessary for this use case.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
Not sure why it would speed up check-in.. all you need now is a boarding pass which requires a quick scan. It's Delta's choice that the boarding pass "requires" an agent to do the scan (could just as well be an automated gate/kiosk).

As is pretty much every other airport use (for passengers), biometrics are wholly unnecessary for this use case.
Perhaps I was trying to see the bright side (because I overall agree with you about the use of biometrics in such use cases) but people do seem to take their time with getting out their boarding passes and such.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ethernal
Not sure why it would speed up check-in.. all you need now is a boarding pass which requires a quick scan. ...
I am in favor of a practical solution to end the long lines at club entrances... particularly those clubs where the help desk and the check in desk are one and the same.

Now that the clubs no longer require personal identification, the existing scanners only confirm the identity of the piece of paper (i.e., BP).

Perhaps DL fears that folks are gaming the system by giving copies of their BP to friends, who then enter a different club (or, perhaps the same club a bit later).

Or, perhaps, DL is implementing this new feature to advertise CLEAR.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Perhaps I was trying to see the bright side (because I overall agree with you about the use of biometrics in such use cases) but people do seem to take their time with getting out their boarding passes and such.
I'm not sure who is slower... the folks digging for their paper BP, or the folks fumbling to find the correct screen to display their BP on their cell phone.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:33 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Basically, DL has installed Clear biometric readers in all 50 SCs and you can now check in using your fingerprint. All Clear members with SC memberships have been automatically opted in to the program. Not sure how I feel about my biometric information being shared in ways I had not expected / explicitly authorized without my express approval.
I don't see how this new use case results in your information being shared with anyone new without your approval.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:37 am

I just had a rather humorous image of a workshop with the SkyClub customer experience team and the Delta Mobile App dev team rep getting into a discussion of whether they could make the boarding pass on the app load faster.. and deciding that it would just be much easier to create a biometric boondoggle than figure out how to make the app experience less terrible...

Perhaps DL fears that folks are gaming the system by giving copies of their BP to friends, who then enter a different club (or, perhaps the same club a bit later).
This is an easily solved problem by requiring folks that scan into too many clubs or the same club too quickly to show ID. I just can't imagine this is that big of a problem and seems like a big hassle unless you and your friends have an exceptionally long layover. In addition, it's not like they are getting rid of the option of using the boarding pass (nor do I expect them ever to - although I guess if enough people are tricked into using the CLEAR terminal they can bring the ID requirement back) so it doesn't even really solve the problem.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I am in favor of a practical solution to end the long lines at club entrances... particularly those clubs where the help desk and the check in desk are one and the same.
Agreed, this can be an issue. Maybe DL should have considered using electronic gates and self-scanning like they are piloting at a number of boarding gates in ATL. Personally, given all of the data breaches in the world, I am a little uncomfortable with too many companies having my biometric data. Seems like a set up for identity theft. Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by pvn
I don't see how this new use case results in your information being shared with anyone new without your approval.
Besides, even if CLEAR wasn't the one doing the authentication, people should realize that any time you share information with any party and it is stored in digital form then you should, by default, assume that it is at least pseudo-public information. If you care about your personal data or information, don't give it to third parties.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Not sure how I feel about my biometric information being shared in ways I had not expected / explicitly authorized without my express approval.
Fortunately, this program should be achievable without any sketchy information sharing. Your SkyMiles number is already linked to your CLEAR account if you're taking advantage of the Delta discount/free membership, which I assume most Medallion members with a Sky Club membership are doing.

If the kiosks are provided by CLEAR, all the validation of the biometrics is still happening in exactly the same way as any other CLEAR line (including both airport lines and other venues like stadiums or parties): your biometrics are validated by CLEAR against their own database using their own hardware and (presumably) private network. The only thing new here is that the kiosks will gain the ability to validate a current Sky Club membership from your linked SkyMiles account after the biometric login has occurred.

I think this is a positive improvement. As a software professional who deals with information security on a regular basis, I actually don't have any concerns about this new program.

(As an aside, CLEAR also announced recently that they're adding lanes for Seattle Mariners baseball games, which I'm possibly even more excited about...)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:57 am

"In addition, we may disclose the information to other third parties with your express consent, such as when you choose to use a service or participate in a program that we may offer jointly with another entity."
This means that you have consented to CLEAR giving Delta or any other entity your biometric data and that you consent when you use it at the SC. A lawyer would have to tell me whether they can disclose the information prior to obtaining consent. In other words, you consent if you use the system at the SC, but obviously they have already transferred all this information to Delta. I suspect the Delta security is as good or worthless as the security at every other corporation that has been hacked with ease such as Target, Home Depot, Equifax, etc. etc. You have to specifically ask that they delete your data when you quit Clear, but your data is now also on Delta's famously efficient and secure servers. I don't know how you would go about having that removed. Once it's hacked of course, you've lost that privacy forever.

Correction: I do not know if the information has been transferred to Delta. I guess it's possible that Delta has just given your SC membership information to Clear and the private information has not gone beyond Clear's servers.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:57 am

I've tried using CLEAR to enter the SkyClub on about a dozen occasions. In every.single.case it was slower than using my electronic (or paper) boarding pass.

And I have NEVER seen a single person use the CLEAR scanners in place of a boarding pass when boarding a flight. And I can't imagine it would do anything useful but slow the boarding process.

I suppose at some point the software or system latency could get to the point it's useful, but so far the only thing I find CLEAR useful for is getting to the front of the PreCheck line at DCA.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I just can't imagine that many people access Skyclubs with a membership, especially now that you have to have a same day DL BP. When they open up biometrics for Amex Plat/Reserve cardholders this will be a noteworthy story...
ijgordon and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta DM, Delta Reserve, Singapore Silver, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
CLEAR has been in use at the DCA and ATL B SkyClubs for a while now. It's definitely slower than just scanning your BP. The CLEAR fingerprint scanners are very finicky and they don't work when your hands are dry. At DCA the CLEAR agents often have a bottle of hand lotion at the ready when you go to the security checkpoint because they can't read your fingerprints.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.