FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   SkyClub Access - 5,000 miles ?! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1900201-skyclub-access-5-000-miles.html)

Delta Dude Mar 22, 2018 8:08 pm

SkyClub Access - 5,000 miles ?!

Recently, when calling in to change a ticket after a segment got cancelled due to mx, I got left with about a 6-hour layover in ATL. The agent apologized and said she would credit 10,000 SkyPesos to my account which I could use to take myself and a guest into the SkyClub.

This is not a thing, right? I feel like I would've heard of it already otherwise...

xliioper Mar 22, 2018 8:49 pm

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...nd-more.html#c

Single Visit Passes for a one-time fee of 5,000 miles
  • Available for purchase in-club at the check-in desk only, based on availability and club capacity

Delta Dude Mar 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 29556736)
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...nd-more.html#c

Single Visit Passes for a one-time fee of 5,000 miles
  • Available for purchase in-club at the check-in desk only, based on availability and club capacity

Thanks—I feel pretty stupid now for not being able to find that by myself!

MCO Flyer Mar 22, 2018 9:08 pm

Is this new? I've never heard of this before?

StayingHomeIsBetter Mar 22, 2018 9:32 pm

Oh gooodie... another way of increasing the size of the herd around the feeding troughs. :rolleyes:

Not a good option versus the $29 access fee for Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Members.

As for others, I guess it depends upon how much monetary value you assign to a Sky Mile.

gooselee Mar 22, 2018 9:32 pm

Basically trading $50 worth of RDM for a SkyClub pass.

Okay value if you have no other means and a pass would normally cost $59. Not as great if you have a DL Amex and can get in for $29.

mbowden19 Mar 23, 2018 9:51 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 29556816)
Oh gooodie... another way of increasing the size of the herd around the feeding troughs. :rolleyes:

Not a good option versus the $29 access fee for Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Members.

As for others, I guess it depends upon how much monetary value you assign to a Sky Mile.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong and this is FT so, I know somebody will shortly) they reduce it to 2,500 if you have/are Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Members.

ajggiant Mar 23, 2018 11:00 am

I'd pay the $29 and use the 10,000 miles to buy a bottle of Krug.

xliioper Mar 23, 2018 11:05 am

Originally Posted by mbowden19 (Post 29558424)
I think (correct me if I'm wrong and this is FT so, I know somebody will shortly) they reduce it to 2,500 if you have/are Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Members.

The web page does say that individual members can guest in companions for 2500 miles (or $29). Not clear if that also applies to DL Amex cardholders (or guests of Plat Amex cardholders).

bennos Mar 23, 2018 4:47 pm

Definitely a thing. I was proactively offered the option of guesting in (with Individual Membership) at $29 or 2500 miles twice in the last two weeks. While perhaps not the best use of miles, to me it's "in the noise" and therefore "free" vs spending actual cash. It's not clear to me if you can use the guest's miles to pay (which would be a good way of burning down low balance companion accounts).

Did not realize you could also use miles to pay for ticket change (and other) fees!

StayingHomeIsBetter Mar 23, 2018 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 29558690)
The web page does say that individual members can guest in companions for 2500 miles (or $29). Not clear if that also applies to DL Amex cardholders (or guests of Plat Amex cardholders).

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 29559872)
Definitely a thing. I was proactively offered the option of guesting in (with Individual Membership) at $29 or 2500 miles twice in the last two weeks. While perhaps not the best use of miles, to me it's "in the noise" and therefore "free" vs spending actual cash. It's not clear to me if you can use the guest's miles to pay (which would be a good way of burning down low balance companion accounts).

Did not realize you could also use miles to pay for ticket change (and other) fees!

You folks are talking about members bringing in guests for 2500 miles.

It is not clear from OP's post whether he is a club member.

lixiaojuventus Mar 23, 2018 7:54 pm

I just realized this also. In addition, it seems that Sky Club has the lowest membership fee if paid by miles: only 47k! In comparison, American requires a whopping 85k miles for an annual lounge membership, while United charges 70k (I am talking about general members.) It seems that this is a quite decent use for SkyMiles?

xliioper Mar 23, 2018 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 29559967)

Was responding to this post (not OP) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29558424-post7.html

bennos Mar 23, 2018 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 29559967)

It's part of the same enhancement (without quotes) that allows one to use miles to pay for more things that previously required cash. Whether it's 5000 miles for a non-member pass or 2500 for a guest, it's the same concept.

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus (Post 29560337)
I just realized this also. In addition, it seems that Sky Club has the lowest membership fee if paid by miles: only 47k! In comparison, American requires a whopping 85k miles for an annual lounge membership, while United charges 70k (I am talking about general members.) It seems that this is a quite decent use for SkyMiles?

Well, it depends on what you're comparing against. At $495 vs 47k, the redemption is just over 1cpm, which is sort of the baseline. If I used that 47k towards a partner J redemption, I'd probably get more value out of it, but if I mostly travel domestically then maybe the 47k is a good deal. What AA and UA charge is sort of irrelevant, since you can't use SkyMiles to pay for either.

lixiaojuventus Mar 24, 2018 12:54 am

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 29560565)
It's part of the same enhancement (without quotes) that allows one to use miles to pay for more things that previously required cash. Whether it's 5000 miles for a non-member pass or 2500 for a guest, it's the same concept.

Well, it depends on what you're comparing against. At $495 vs 47k, the redemption is just over 1cpm, which is sort of the baseline. If I used that 47k towards a partner J redemption, I'd probably get more value out of it, but if I mostly travel domestically then maybe the 47k is a good deal. What AA and UA charge is sort of irrelevant, since you can't use SkyMiles to pay for either.

Yes, you are definitely correct that the miles will be much more valuable if used for international premium cabin travels. I am just surprised that (assuming the baseline for each airline's mileage currency is 1 cpm) Delta's charge for the lounge membership is not expensive at all.