Wiki Posts
Search

Name in Profile on Delta

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Name in Profile on Delta

Anyone know who you can contact or what department to contact if your tickets keep defaulting to the old way of your name?

My profile clearly has my middle name spelled out

But when a purchase a ticket, it defaults to just the middle initial, and it gives me no option to change it.

A call to Delta says that my middle name is spelled out and they end up fixing the ticket, but the fix isn't permanent as the next time I book it happens again.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just call DL customer service as appropriate for your status.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

2 hour hold time, today and I have reached out to them about this more than once.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:11 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
If you can still find a fax machine, I'd suggest giving that a try. It was the only way I could get them to switch my name from middle/last to first/middle/last.

Using Middle Name as First?

SkyMiles Name Discrepancy

SkyMiles CS Location
obscure2k and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Whats a fax?

I guess I will give that a try. I think my printer has an efax feature.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL DM
I finally signed up for TSA Pre and added my known traveler number to my Skymiles account today. My license and TSA Pre use my middle name, but my Delta Skymiles profile has no middle name at all. Will this prevent Precheck from applying next time I fly?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
On a somewhat related subject, I don't know when it started but sometime within the last year or so Delta has given you the option of selecting a prefix or courtesy title beyond "Dr.," "Mr.," "Ms.," "Mrs," or "Miss." There are a range of choices, ranging from clerical honorifics to military ranks.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:08 am
Suspended

1. Change your DL (and other air carrier profiles) so that they match your DL and name associated with TTP (Pre-Check, GE) exactly. While you will not routinely be denied Pre-Check, the better the name match, the higher your percentage will be. If everything is working, while there are occasional random and intentional Pre-Check denials, they are very few and far between. Most people with exact match, see 100% Pre-Check selection.

As to titles, do not do it. There is no reason for it and it has the potential for gumming up ticket names when you are booking or rebooked onto other carriers, especially overseas.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
As to titles, do not do it. There is no reason for it and it has the potential for gumming up ticket names when you are booking or rebooked onto other carriers, especially overseas.
I don't see how "Dr." or whatever will cause an issue when "Mr." doesn't.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I don't see how "Dr." or whatever will cause an issue when "Mr." doesn't.
Don't use "Mr" either. Titles are not required by any IATA protocol and when tickets are reissued can easily cause problems, particularly overseas and particularly when the staff are not necessarily English-proficient.

E.g., MR JOHN SMITH is reissued as:
MRJOHN SMITH or MRSMITH JOHN and the staff (or even border types) reviewing docs., don't see a name match.

If your name is JOHN SMITH, stick to JOHN SMITH.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Often1
Don't use "Mr" either. Titles are not required by any IATA protocol and when tickets are reissued can easily cause problems, particularly overseas and particularly when the staff are not necessarily English-proficient.

E.g., MR JOHN SMITH is reissued as:
MRJOHN SMITH or MRSMITH JOHN and the staff (or even border types) reviewing docs., don't see a name match.

If your name is JOHN SMITH, stick to JOHN SMITH.
My problems over the years have been with middle names and Jr.

Any good counsel in that regard?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
My problems over the years have been with middle names and Jr.

Any good counsel in that regard?
Same problem here with the Jr. A few weeks ago in ATL arriving from MBJ, when I went to the GE kiosk and it kept saying I wasn't enrolled (I most definitely am). I ended up going to a CBP Officer who told me that DL had my name incorrect in relation to my passport i.e XXXXJR instead of XXXX JR. I called DL and they said they fixed it but voila it's back to what it was. CBP told me it must be an exact match. I'll take any advice as well.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by FLYPWM
Same problem here with the Jr. A few weeks ago in ATL arriving from MBJ, when I went to the GE kiosk and it kept saying I wasn't enrolled (I most definitely am). I ended up going to a CBP Officer who told me that DL had my name incorrect in relation to my passport i.e XXXXJR instead of XXXX JR. I called DL and they said they fixed it but voila it's back to what it was. CBP told me it must be an exact match. I'll take any advice as well.
At one time, the DL system routinely concatenated the first name and middle name(or initial) as one block and the last name and suffix as one block.

Looking at some recent correspondence and BPs from DL they are now consistently keeping my middle name separated from my first name, but they are omitting the Jr. This is consistent with the Secure Flight Passenger Data section of my profile, which lacks any prefix/title data and omits my Jr. Have not had any GE problems with this.

This change may have been at the suggestion of a DL representative, I just don't recall. I do have older BPs (into early 2014) that show my name as SHIBjr. Suffix appended to last name and in lower case.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by FLYPWM
DL’s systems are awful at handling the suffix on my name (III). It is on my passport, so I added it to my DL profile. It’s always a mess for all sorts of random things in DL’s system - eg online ticket exchanges, using vouchers online, award tickets (i.e. if I want to redeem an award ticket for myself, I have to say I am not traveling and then enter all my info manually as a third party or it says my name and profile mismatch), etc.

I have never added the suffix to my UA or other profiles.

All that said, I have never had an issue once with PreCheck or GE on any airline, with or without suffix in my name on the ticket.

Side note, but I thought GE should work regardless - at worst you should have to enter your flight info manually at the kiosk if it can’t find a match to you with your inbound flight. You can even pull up your membership by hand typing your passport number if it can’t find/read your passport (that is my SOP for accessing the GE kiosk anyway). I have never heard of the GE kiosk saying you ‘weren’t enrolled’ due to airline ticket info.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

DL’s systems are awful at handling the suffix on my name (III). It is on my passport, so I added it to my DL profile. It’s always a mess for all sorts of random things in DL’s system - eg online ticket exchanges, using vouchers online, award tickets (i.e. if I want to redeem an award ticket for myself, I have to say I am not traveling and then enter all my info manually as a third party or it says my name and profile mismatch), etc.

It's not just Delta. Businesses, the government and most people don't know how to handle suffixes. For example if your full legal name is John Smith III then you're actually John III, not Smith III.

Personally, I always feel sorry for those with multiple Christian or middle names, let alone a double-barrelled (or triple-barrelled!) surname. Their names never fit, particularly on printed forms with boxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.