Worst reason for a delay

Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:37 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Had a flight on DL this year delay from 8 PM to 9:30 AM because the power went out at the NY Approach Control and our crew timed out.

Had a flight on AA last year delay because a passenger fell into the bulkhead between Y and F while deplaning and he knocked it loose from its mountings and maintenance couldn't figure out how to put it back in place.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: MilagePlus
Bumping this back up....

Not really the worst reason but I didn't want to start a whole new thread.
1) is there a compensation thread here? Like how to ask for one, who has asked, for what reasons, etc. I was searching for one but couldn't really find anything.
2) DL 1986 (IAH-ATL) MD-88. Plane wouldn't take on water for the lavs. Mechanic got it fixed, they say we will have water on the plane for the flight .During the flight the water doesn't work. So the FAs put bottles in the lavs to wash hands. They said the water would work, but it didn't. Can you even fly without working lavs? (One broken lav is one thing . But no working lavs is different)
3) It seems to me that Delta gives skypesos out like beads at Mardi Gras. From what I've read here some people are just credited miles while others complain for the pesos. So FT give me you thoughts. Should email Delta about the situation?
Old May 27, 2018, 8:54 am

May not relate to thread as it was important to me but I was on a 767 long ago atl to mco. I was one of the last to board sat down to buckle my seat and half my seat belt was not there. No idea what happened or if the passenger on the inbound just didn’t care... delayed us a bit while someone brought it and installed it.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:35 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by bkamdg
Bumping this back up....

1) is there a compensation thread here? Like how to ask for one, who has asked, for what reasons, etc. I was searching for one but couldn't really find anything.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...on-thread.html
Old May 27, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bkamdg
Bumping this back up....

2) DL 1986 (IAH-ATL) MD-88. Plane wouldn't take on water for the lavs. Mechanic got it fixed, they say we will have water on the plane for the flight .During the flight the water doesn't work. So the FAs put bottles in the lavs to wash hands. They said the water would work, but it didn't. Can you even fly without working lavs? (One broken lav is one thing . But no working lavs is different)
3) It seems to me that Delta gives skypesos out like beads at Mardi Gras. From what I've read here some people are just credited miles while others complain for the pesos. So FT give me you thoughts. Should email Delta about the situation?
The toilet doesn't need water to run. They're vacuum operated or use blue fluid. Not having water in the sink doesn't mean the lav is INOP. It just means you need to use bottled water or in most case moist towelettes. AFAIK there's no rule requiring any lavs on a plane. However I believe DL requires at least one to function . Was on MD AUS-ATL earlier this month. Only the one lav on right side in back worked. Again having no water doesn't mean the lav isn't functional.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flying an AA CRJ-200 from PHL-IND last year. We taxied out, got out to the runway, then had to turn back because while being pushed back we'd hit an orange traffic safety cone. We had to go back to the gate and the pilot and line supervisor mechanic went out to go look at the plane to make sure the orange traffic safety cone hadn't damaged us. Thankfully it hadn't but an extra hour on those planes feels like a year.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
DL2416 SLC-SFO last night was held ~10-15 minutes for 19 pax arriving from the delayed ORD-SLC flight.

So far this is fine, don't have any problem with it. (Although the FA said halfway through the wait "thank you all again for agreeing to wait" but it's not like we had any choice.)

After the 19 arrived and were on board, we still sat there for a while, and the FAs were going up and down the plane counting and then said we had a missing passenger -- according to the BP scanner we were full, but there was a seat empty.

There had been a whole bunch of seat swapping in Y before the delayed pax arrived so that several couples could sit together (some of which had apparently happened amongst the pax themselves in the gate area even before boarding) so they asked everyone to temporarily move back to their original seat so they could figure this out. Then asked if there were any kids with a purchased seat, who might be sitting in parents' laps.

Finally a guy came forward to say that one of their party was not traveling but they had scanned all of their BPs including the missing person's*. They found the BP in question, which was handed off to the GA, and we departed 30-40 minutes late (but with padding etc. we only arrived 10 minutes late).

*one of the F pax asked the FA "why would you even do that?" and the FA brushed it off as "sometimes you have so many BPs from different flights that you scan the wrong one by accident" but that explanation doesn't make a lot of sense, if you scanned someone else's BP, it would still get you onto the flight so you would have no reason to scan a second one. Feels like it would have to have been deliberate, so I wonder if someone was trying to pull a "AMEX cert companoin without primary traveler" fast one etc.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:39 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
someone probably wanted to keep the middle seat next to himself empty.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: delta, hilton
I sat on a plane for almost 3 hours waiting for the plane to defuel for a 30 minute flight.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
Back in the NWA mechanic slowdown days, they worked to rule, so any malfunction required service, delaying, like everything. A 30-minute delay because of a defunct flight attendant call button is one thing, but a 45 minute delay at MSP because a 1st class ashtray on a DC-9 needed service (despite no smoking allowed) took the biscuit.
Gavroch likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:03 am
Suspended

I was on an America West flight years ago (remember them??) when we were delayed 45 minutes because, according to the pilot, if we left on time, we would get there too early thanks to tailwinds..and if we did that, no gate would be available etc etc etc. I guess it was wait there, or wait here. They picked "wait here".
Old May 31, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I was on an America West flight years ago (remember them??) when we were delayed 45 minutes because, according to the pilot, if we left on time, we would get there too early thanks to tailwinds..and if we did that, no gate would be available etc etc etc. I guess it was wait there, or wait here. They picked "wait here".
That's pretty standard. ATL ATC will often hold planes at outstations to avoid overtaxing the airspace. I could see DL ground control doing the same to manage gate space.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
This isn't the "worst" reason but interesting one happened last night with a bunch of factors.

Delta flight 785, ATL to DAB, on a 1.5 year old A321. Supposed to takeoff (or at least depart) around 7:16 PM. Funnily this gate was right across from the flight I just came in on so I just stayed in the area. Departure time comes and goes and it was one of the gates under construction at the end of the B concourse, so I was wondering why the plane was there but no gate agents were around. Turns out the plane wasn't there yet, was 20 minutes delayed coming in from DCA. Around 7:20 we all board but then wait because we were waiting for people and there was a maintenance issue, so we waited. Maintenance had to be called back so they could look at the issue again and sign off that we were OK to go with the warning in the cockpit. The late people finally boarded as well so off we went, or so we thought, as it was rush hour for takeoff so we were about 15th in line. Finally took off and got into DAB about 40 minutes later than we were supposed to. Oh, and after the flight I saw the pilot inspecting the area where maintenance was working around lol.

I miss those 757's. The aircraft with the most issues I encounter with most airlines is the A321 for whatever reason.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
DL2416 SLC-SFO last night was held ~10-15 minutes for 19 pax arriving from the delayed ORD-SLC flight.

So far this is fine, don't have any problem with it. (Although the FA said halfway through the wait "thank you all again for agreeing to wait" but it's not like we had any choice.)

After the 19 arrived and were on board, we still sat there for a while, and the FAs were going up and down the plane counting and then said we had a missing passenger -- according to the BP scanner we were full, but there was a seat empty.

There had been a whole bunch of seat swapping in Y before the delayed pax arrived so that several couples could sit together (some of which had apparently happened amongst the pax themselves in the gate area even before boarding) so they asked everyone to temporarily move back to their original seat so they could figure this out. Then asked if there were any kids with a purchased seat, who might be sitting in parents' laps.

Finally a guy came forward to say that one of their party was not traveling but they had scanned all of their BPs including the missing person's*. They found the BP in question, which was handed off to the GA, and we departed 30-40 minutes late (but with padding etc. we only arrived 10 minutes late).

*one of the F pax asked the FA "why would you even do that?" and the FA brushed it off as "sometimes you have so many BPs from different flights that you scan the wrong one by accident" but that explanation doesn't make a lot of sense, if you scanned someone else's BP, it would still get you onto the flight so you would have no reason to scan a second one. Feels like it would have to have been deliberate, so I wonder if someone was trying to pull a "AMEX cert companoin without primary traveler" fast one etc.
Often groups or especially families hand all the boarding passes over at once, so if the gate agent isnt paying attention and is given 4 boarding passes but a group of three they may not notice.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: DL PM
Ok not a Delta flight, but KLM so maybe it counts ()? My Bristol-Amsterdam flight on New Year's Eve was cancelled after the 'push back tug slightly bumped the nose' of the EMB-190. Given it was an outstation and the evening of NYE, was cancelled. Props to KLM (especially the pilot) for how the handled the situation professionally and swiftly, but the poor driver of the tug!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.