Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta A330-300 vs. Lufthansa 747-400

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:34 pm

Lufthansa's business class isn't a very good product all in all. FAs might be a touch friendlier on average, but that's never a guarantee. Aviation enthusiasts may appreciate the chance to fly a 747 though. Having spent plenty of time in Delta One on DL A330s but never having flown on a 747..that might just have me choose LH to be honest.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
I would fly the 747 upper deck if you can. Unless you are able to travel C cabin, it is a rare treat. The A380 is an alternative, but there is nothing like climbing the stairs IMHO. The Queen of the Skies has a grace all her own. I can't speak to the LH soft product, but DL's is quite good. I"m 5'6'' and I find the A330 comfortable, but the 767 in my experience is not. DL food is great in C, can't speak to LH soft product in C.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:24 pm

I faced a similar dilemma a few years ago. I had the choice of upper deck KE 747 or DL 767. Took KE outbound and DL return. Overall, DL's product was substantially better (only thing that KE did better was food) and based on consensus here (I have never flown LH), it seems DL's product is superior. Despite many shortcomings including incredibly hard seats and a very warm cabin with no vents, I absolutely loved the opportunity to be on the 747. The "wow" factor more than made up for any deficiencies. Opportunities to fly on a 747 will become rarer and rarer - if you have the opportunity to fly upper deck 747, you should take it.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Other than flying on the UD of a 747 if you have not done it (a + for LH) I would (a) go with the direct out on the DL 330, and then take either the (a) AF in 1-2-1 (better food/drink, as good of seat) or (b) DL on the A350 - which is a VERY NICE PLANE (higher humidity/pressure, good seats, very quite) depending on which had better flight times.

I am not dogging LH, they are a good airline, just NS+connection beats connnectionX2, when the options all have good/bad things about them. Have a good trip.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
In general, I don't think the Upper Deck is anything special, in and of itself. The side bins are nice and some airlines (BA, for example) have better configurations upstairs, but the novelty of getting on a staircase on a plane isn't remotely enough incentive for me to fly LH, which I think is inferior in pretty much every way.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My husband is of similar stature to the OP. He hasn't been on the DL A330s (though I have) but has been on the AA 77W which is a similar seat and was reasonably comfortable. Face it, at 6'4" you're at the height where you really need first class to be comfortable.
Since OP is with wife and child, he will likely have a stranger seatmate on LH, and personally that's something I like to avoid. (I agree that it's probably okay with a companion).

Also, I've never been that impressed with the LH soft product in J.
F is a different story, though.
But DL can be hit or miss too, so OP is probably right to not focus on those aspects.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your comments and feedback. My plan is to monitor the best prices over the next few weeks for:

1. Delta A330 non-stop from DTW to Rome (7/25/18) and Delta A350 from AMS to DTW after flight from Venice (8/4/18), and
2. Lufthansa 747-400 DTW>FRA>Rome (7/25/18) and Lufthansa 747-400 from Venice>FRA>DTW (8/4/18). This will be an early morning flight so I won't get to take advantage too much of the lounge.

Both have their pluses and minuses but we will be flying first/business class either way so it is not really a huge issue whichever way it works out.

I don't want to do Delta one way and Lufthansa the other way. I will have to decide when I pull the trigger before prices go up.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by flannbarr
Thank you to everyone for your comments and feedback. My plan is to monitor the best prices over the next few weeks for:

1. Delta A330 non-stop from DTW to Rome (7/25/18) and Delta A350 from AMS to DTW after flight from Venice (8/4/18), and
2. Lufthansa 747-400 DTW>FRA>Rome (7/25/18) and Lufthansa 747-400 from Venice>FRA>DTW (8/4/18). This will be an early morning flight so I won't get to take advantage too much of the lounge.

Both have their pluses and minuses but we will be flying first/business class either way so it is not really a huge issue whichever way it works out.

I don't want to do Delta one way and Lufthansa the other way. I will have to decide when I pull the trigger before prices go up.
What first class product are you considering? The AF777? If so I wouldn't hesitate to get that if I had a lot more money.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by KingBraden
What first class product are you considering? The AF777? If so I wouldn't hesitate to get that if I had a lot more money.
This. The entire thread I've been assuming OP is only looking for business class.

If OP is actually looking to fly international FIRST class, then the AF777 is the clear winner. And I suppose LH would be runner-up by default since DL doesn't offer int'l first class at all.

ETA: Just realized LH doesn't have IFC either on the 744 (only on the 748) - so if looking to first class, AF La Premiere would be the only (and best) option for OP.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
This. The entire thread I've been assuming OP is only looking for business class.

If OP is actually looking to fly international FIRST class, then the AF777 is the clear winner. And I suppose LH would be runner-up by default since DL doesn't offer int'l first class at all.

ETA: Just realized LH doesn't have IFC either on the 744 (only on the 748) - so if looking to first class, AF La Premiere would be the only (and best) option for OP.
La Premiere is not available on the flights I’m looking at. Business Class it is.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

La Premiere is not available on the flights I’m looking at. Business Class it is.
Darn, I was going to ask you to take pictures so we could live vicariously!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Darn, I was going to ask you to take pictures so we could live vicariously!
Sorry...back to my revised plan.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Update-I have decided to fly Delta business class/Delta One most likely on the A-330-300 nonstop flight from Detroit to Rome on 7/27/18 and then fly Air France from Venice to Detroit with a 2 hour layover in Paris on 8/3/18 (selected the 2 hour layover instead of the 4 hour layover). We will be on the AF 777-200 Business Class from Paris which appears to be a very nice plane.

In the end, it was hard to turn down the frequent miles miles from Delta. We have never flown on Lufthansa and don't plan to in the future so frequent flyer miles with them would be useless. The Air France flight leaves Venice at Noon compared to Lufthansa at 6:30am so that assisted in the decision making too.

Now, I am just hoping that prices come down on the Delta flight utilizing the new A-350 instead of the A330-300 but it was not be worth the wait as prices may increase. We are just a little more than 90 days out from the flight to Rome so I should probably lock in pricing soon.
gooselee likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update-I have decided to fly Delta business class/Delta One most likely on the A-330-300 nonstop flight from Detroit to Rome on 7/27/18 and then fly Air France from Venice to Detroit with a 2 hour layover in Paris on 8/3/18 (selected the 2 hour layover instead of the 4 hour layover). We will be on the AF 777-200 Business Class from Paris which appears to be a very nice plane.

In the end, it was hard to turn down the frequent miles miles from Delta. We have never flown on Lufthansa and don't plan to in the future so frequent flyer miles with them would be useless. The Air France flight leaves Venice at Noon compared to Lufthansa at 6:30am so that assisted in the decision making too.

Now, I am just hoping that prices come down on the Delta flight utilizing the new A-350 instead of the A330-300 but it was not be worth the wait as prices may increase. We are just a little more than 90 days out from the flight to Rome so I should probably lock in pricing soon.
Thanks for coming back to update! You will be happy with those flights - it sounds like you also prioritized price and schedule which are far more important than equipment in most cases.

My advice is that if the price is acceptable right now, just book the ticket and don't look back. You've got roughly 10 hours of time in the air each way, but multiple times that once you're on the ground. IMO your future energy is far better focused on all that ground time.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for coming back to update! You will be happy with those flights - it sounds like you also prioritized price and schedule which are far more important than equipment in most cases.

My advice is that if the price is acceptable right now, just book the ticket and don't look back. You've got roughly 10 hours of time in the air each way, but multiple times that once you're on the ground. IMO your future energy is far better focused on all that ground time.
Thank you for your comments. The price sure is not cheap but it is Europe in the summer so I should not expect miracles!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.