Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Comfort+ vs. First Class Upgrade Priority

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador

I have noticed over time that the Comfort+ and First Class upgrade lists generally do not seem to align. I would assume that time of request (e.g., when ticketed or when requesting a Comfort+ aisle/window at check-in) would be the tie-breaker, but the delta between the F list and the C+ list is greater than I would expect.

For example, on my flight for tomorrow, here is the upgrade list. I have bolded the names of the people on both the F and the C+ upgrade list. I have only included the first 11 people on F (there are currently 44 checked in and rising).

First Class:
1. Person 1
2. Person 2
3. Person 3
4. Person 4 (Me)
5. Person 5
6. Person 6
7. Person 7
8. Person 8
9. Person 9
10. Person 10
11. Person 11

Comfort+:
1. Person 4 (me)
2. Person 2
3. Person 9
4. Person 10
5. Person 11
6. Person 3

I have always assumed that the C+ upgrade list follows the same priority as the F list. But this doesn't seem to be the case. I can't think of any way that Person 3 can be both simultaneously above me on the F+ list and simultaneously below Person 11 on the F list. This would theoretically require (if I understand the upgrade priority to be correct) that the only difference be that Person 3 ticketed earlier than everyone else but didn't request the C+ upgrade until later, meaning everyone else from #2 on the list to #11 on the list is exactly the same as me:

1. Diamond Medallion
2. Booked on an H fare
3. Delta Reserve Card
4. No MQD waiver
5. Corporate booking
6. Tiebreaker - time of request

I just can't believe that this is the case.

Does anyone know how the C+ priority differs from FC priority and what would drive this difference?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:40 am

Just speculation... but a paid F ticket that got displaced due to flight problems that puts them at the top of the F list, but it still treats it as an upgrade for C+?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There could be people who are waitlisted for certificate/mileage FC upgrades. These would rank them higher than Medallion complementary upgrades. Since instrument upgrades don't apply to C+ upgrades, I would expect them to appear at their normal complementary level for C+. Person 1 could have simply opt-ed out of the C+ upgrade (along with 5-8).
orca15 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 18, 2018 at 8:49 am
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
There could be people who are waitlisted for certificate/mileage FC upgrades. These would rank them higher than Medallion complementary upgrades. Since instrument upgrades don't apply to C+ upgrades, I would expect them to appear at their normal complementary level for C+.
Duh, this. I forgot about RUCs. Person 2 and 3 (and, presumably 1) have obviously applied RUCs on lower fare class tickets. This thread can be ignored...
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Person 1 and Persons 5 through 8 could have already been "upgraded" to C+ or (unlikely but possible) they could have purchased C+.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Person 1 and Persons 5 through 8 could have already been "upgraded" to C+ or (unlikely but possible) they could have purchased C+.
That’s the obvious explanation for why someone is on the FC standby list but not the C+ list. This thread is more concerned with why names on *both* lists (in bold in the OP) would be in different orders.
Does RUC really make sense though? Don’t those only/primarily go to Plat/Diamonds, who would likely already be in C+? Or if not they’d be high on the C+ list anyway.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: NW GE
This is actually an interesting observation and one which could be used to determine the relative rate of upgrade certificates on a given route.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon

That’s the obvious explanation for why someone is on the FC standby list but not the C+ list. This thread is more concerned with why names on *both* lists (in bold in the OP) would be in different orders.
Does RUC really make sense though? Don’t those only/primarily go to Plat/Diamonds, who would likely already be in C+? Or if not they’d be high on the C+ list anyway.

This is an ATL -> West Coast route so C+ is usually sold out 3-4 weeks before the flight. If I'm on a lower fare class like Q or K (and especially before I got the Reserve card) I'd usually be at least 5 down on the C+ list as a diamond, sometimes as far down as 10-15. If I had to guess, everyone on the F upgrade list I highlighted except for Person 3 is a diamond - Person 3 is likely the dividing line to Platinum (using a RUC).
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ethernal
Duh, this. I forgot about RUCs. Person 2 and 3 (and, presumably 1) have obviously applied RUCs on lower fare class tickets. This thread can be ignored...
Originally Posted by Lyaec350
This is actually an interesting observation and one which could be used to determine the relative rate of upgrade certificates on a given route.
I agree, although it seems obvious in hindsight it hadn't really occurred to me either so I found it to be a useful thread anyway
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:31 am
Original Poster

For what it's worth, no one ended up clearing into F... and no one ended up clearing into Comfort+ (filled up with standby list folks)...
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You should've cleared into C+. Were there only middle seats left and the standbys got put in there? Either way, if you're on the C+ upgrade list you should've cleared especially as #1 and should've asked/said something to the gate agent as to why they didn't clear upgrades.

Seen reports of this before as well, where they don't process the C+ list and instead put standbys into there.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
You should've cleared into C+. Were there only middle seats left and the standbys got put in there? Either way, if you're on the C+ upgrade list you should've cleared especially as #1 and should've asked/said something to the gate agent as to why they didn't clear upgrades.

Seen reports of this before as well, where they don't process the C+ list and instead put standbys into there.
Two were middle seats, one person cleared into 10C (which is always reserved until day of departure). I only had window/aisle selected so it is unclear as to how far down the list they would have had to go to get into middles. Given that there were 3 seats available (instead of the usual 2) I would optimistically assume that the person that went into 10C was in fact a W ticketed passenger that had not selected a seat, but it is equally likely that Shena was at play.

I'm not sure what value there would have been in confronting the gate agent about it. The standbys had already cleared by the time I got to the gate. It is highly unlikely that she would have unseated them and put me in their place.

Even when #1 on the C+ upgrade list, I never expect C+ because the standby list seems to magically take priority. I've complained about this in the past.

An aside, this is the reason I fly AA to PHX and UA to SFO. Doesn't hurt that the AA tickets are $400-500 cheaper too.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I don't understand the C+ upgrade list. I have been upgraded from main cabin to C+ without having actually been listed on the C+ list. Then, as we found out in DTW in January when we asked to be cleared into C+, the GAs weren't going to clear any upgrades from main cabin to C+, presumably to accommodate their co-workers. They begrudgingly upgraded us.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ND76
I don't understand the C+ upgrade list. I have been upgraded from main cabin to C+ without having actually been listed on the C+ list. Then, as we found out in DTW in January when we asked to be cleared into C+, the GAs weren't going to clear any upgrades from main cabin to C+, presumably to accommodate their co-workers. They begrudgingly upgraded us.
The C+ upgrade list is a joke. I think I've cleared maybe 3-5 times as a Diamond via the C+ upgrade list (out of probably around 75+ opportunities). Not that it's much better but my F upgrade rate is higher than my C+ upgrade rate. I actually got a reserve card in hopes of increasing my odds - but it tends to just mean that I end up as #1 on the C+ upgrade list instead of #5 .

It's frustrating because I feel like people dismiss how important the extra 3" or so is to some people. I'm 6'4" so sitting in Y- causes actual physical discomfort to my knees, especially if the person in front of me tries to recline. It also limits my ability to get work done.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by ethernal
It's frustrating because I feel like people dismiss how important the extra 3" or so is to some people. I'm 6'4" so sitting in Y- causes actual physical discomfort to my knees, especially if the person in front of me tries to recline. It also limits my ability to get work done.
The free alcohol is the main attraction for me. I think I sat in main cabin once last year; and I didn't use any of my free drink e-chits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.