Skipping Leg of outbound flight

Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Skipping Leg of outbound flight

Friend called. He had a RT flight RDU- Sioux Falls connecting thru MSP. Return is tomorrow. They are going somewhere in MN and decided to skip the MSP-Sioux Falls leg and rent car at MSP and drive to their location. They spoke with a gate agent at RDU who told them their return flight is fine.

I was under the impression that if you skip a flight in the middle they could/would cancel the remaining legs. But, the gate agent said, no they can fly back tomorrow fine.

​​​I hope I am wrong? They plan on showing back up at MSP tomorrow for the final leg.

Last edited by NC_Girl; Mar 16, 2018 at 9:06 am Reason: Sp
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would not rely on that advice (GA may have misunderstood what they were asking or maybe was just clueless). I'd expect to be denied boarding when they just show up in MSP. I'd strongly advise they call DL to let them know what they are doing (unfortunately, they may find themselves hit with a big change fee).
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:23 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Yeah just showing up at MSP isn't going to work. Even if the gate agent somehow split their trip into two one-ways (which I don't think is possible) if they miss the FSD-MSP leg they will be cancelled on MSP-RDU.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They're going to be in for a nasty surprise when they get to MSP and find out they were marked as a no-show and the following segment canceled.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
They should check online to see status, but you are correct, it would be procedure to cancel the MSP-RDU segment. Once I had an outbound canceled by Delta for weather, and decided to rent a car one way. On the phone, the agent split the ticket into two one ways, keeping the return and refunding the outbound. But they were unable to rebook me in time on the outbound, it was not my choice. Also, it was a two segment trip. not four as in your friend's case.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Please tell your friends not to try this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please tell your friends not to try this.
Way too late for that, unfortunately. They've already missed one segment and would have to drive a long ways to avoid missing the next. Friend is going to be very sad when they get to the airport.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Yes, unfortunately it's too late.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:14 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
they need to call today and try to either get this fixed or buy new tickets. There's still some K bucket tickets left at $364, tomorrow they might be gone.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:31 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NC_Girl
Yes, unfortunately it's too late.
If they log into their reservation on DL.com, what do they see? Is there still a reservation there or has it been cancelled out?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by pvn
they need to call today and try to either get this fixed or buy new tickets. There's still some K bucket tickets left at $364, tomorrow they might be gone.
BE tickets are available for *only* $334.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I think the issue of concern is if they only want to take the MSP-RDU leg when their return is FSD-MSP-RDU. If they experienced some kind of IROP on the outbound, there is reason for them to rent the car as a one way and DL can protect the entire return itinerary. I doubt the airline will cancel MSP-FSD-MSP and allow them to just fly RDU-MSP-RDU without some kind of additional cost.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

I left him a message to call Delta but not heard back. It will be what it will be I guess. I'll try and update what happened.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by NC_Girl
I left him a message to call Delta but not heard back. It will be what it will be I guess. I'll try and update what happened.
Yes, please let us know the outcome!

In dealing with Delta he should try to avoid getting mad and yelling about the DL agent in RDU and generally blaming Delta for the whole thing. He is more likely to be treated with leniency if he admits that he may have misunderstood the RDU agent, didn’t understand the rules, etc.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:50 am
Original Poster

He called and spoke with an agent who told him that yes, he would have been denied boarding but that since his flight came into MSP a few minutes late was able to use that to make it ok for him to arrive at MSP today and use just the last leg.

Yes, being nice can go a long way... I learned a long time ago how important that can be.

Thanks for the advice... Spot on as usual !!
SanDiego1K likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.