Community
Wiki Posts
Search

History of Delta operations at DCA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
This is kind of a weird question, but if you're not willing to go get them to look up this sort of stuff, what are you doing with them? It seems the only point of hanging on to this sort of stuff is to archive it as reference material, right?
There are some NW schedules from 2000/2001 at archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000815...able/sked2.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20010701...able/sked2.pdf
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pvn
This is kind of a weird question, but if you're not willing to go get them to look up this sort of stuff, what are you doing with them? It seems the only point of hanging on to this sort of stuff is to archive it as reference material, right?
There are varying opportunity costs involved to go looking for old printed material.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:05 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by GUWonder

There are varying opportunity costs involved to go looking for old printed material.
right, I get that, but what situation is the person archiving this material planning for?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
right, I get that, but what situation is the person archiving this material planning for?
Have you ever seen the show Hoarders?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Anyone remember when DL had those 3 gates in the now (soon to be demolished) MWAA hanger? It was 757's basically all day operating out of those gates.
Here is a good video of the former terminal:

History of the Hangars:

https://ggwash.org/view/62960/buildi...tional-airport

Some pictures of the food court:

http://www.kernsgroup.com/portfolio/shop-3
readywhenyouare likes this.

Last edited by Jet Doctor; Mar 17, 2018 at 8:27 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My first flight on Delta was in 1981, DCA-ATL-MSY, which was a direct flight; we didn’t get off the plane in Atlanta. The plane was a 727-200.In those days, Delta was located in the now demolished North Terminal. The major tenant there was Piedmont; Delta was in a gatehouse accessed by stairs, which they shared with PanAm, National (those two merged around 1983) and Braniff.

I joined the Delta Frequent Flyer program in 1984.At that time, Delta flew from DCA principally to ATL, BOS and MEM, where their flights to DFW had to land due to the interpretation of the 750 mile rule in place then. I remember being on a direct flight DCA-BOS-YUL in the 1980s. They may well have had a non-stop to MSY then.

For me, the most interesting feature of the old North Terminal was Delta’s VIP room, which was as close to a speakeasy as I’ve ever attended. It was on the right side of the corridor as you headed out to the gate; it was behind an unmarked door; you either had to know the right door to knock on, or get a Red Coat who knew you to get you in. Liquor bottles were self-serve, sitting on a counter; the beer and white wine were in either ice buckets or a refrigerator. The Virginia ABC changed their regulations to prohibit self-service liquor at airline clubs circa 2006.

They added MCO at the end of the 80s when DL became the official airline of Walt Disney World and their new airside midfield concourse (together with a second N-S runway) opened at MCO.

When Delta was developing their hub at CVG, they didn’t initially have a CVG-DCA route; I think that started in the early 90s, when they pulled out of the DCA-MEM route. Delta started flying the former PanAm shuttle possibly in 1991.

The new “Interim Terminal”, which was created in a former hangar north of the North Terminal, opened in 1991. This was the location of the first proper Crown Room at DCA. When Delta moved over there they were flying 757s to DFW.

The terminal where Delta is located now opened circa 1997.

They acquired NW in 2008-09, and that is when they started flying to DTW and MSP and resumed the MEM route. Some of the RJ routes, such as GRR, MSN and DSM, they inherited from NW. I think they also flew to MCT for a little while. I think the only RJ route they added was LEX, and there were political considerations in that route. They swapped their RJ slots to AA for some of US Air’s excess capacity at LGA; they ended their really nice DCA-BOS shuttle as a result.

Delta started flying from IAD to SLC in 1987 when they bought Western Airlines. I’m not sure when they moved this route from IAD to DCA.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by WWads

The flight does serve Rand Paul and surrounding House members.
Rand lives in Bowling Green, I don't know exactly what side of BG he lives in but BNA is over an hour closer by driving(1:30 vs 2:30)

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I am taking a risk relying on my US geography, but I believe all those are US state capitals, which points to government contracts...
Frankfort is the capital of Kentucky, however it is closer to Lexington than Louisville.

Originally Posted by WWads

If the slots are beyond-perimeter, AUS would be my candidate. I could also see cities like IND, BNA, and MSY in the mix.
AUS would strike me as the top candidate, although SEA as mentioned up thread also makes a lot of sense.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:20 am
Suspended

I find it interesting that articles still mention the terms "commuter flights" or "commuter terminal". Those largely don't exist anymore. A regional jet is not a commuter aircraft and that's what the new terminal at DCA is designed for. A flight on American Eagle on a regional jet from DCA-JAX is not a commuter flight.

About the only examples of commuter airlines left in the US are PenAir, Cape Air, and Mokulele. And I suppose Janet should you be fortunate enough to have such a security clearance.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I find it interesting that articles still mention the terms "commuter flights" or "commuter terminal". Those largely don't exist anymore. A regional jet is not a commuter aircraft and that's what the new terminal at DCA is designed for. A flight on American Eagle on a regional jet from DCA-JAX is not a commuter flight.

About the only examples of commuter airlines left in the US are PenAir, Cape Air, and Mokulele. And I suppose Janet should you be fortunate enough to have such a security clearance.
Word definitions can be controversial but in general, 'commuter' and 'regional' seem to be interchangeable, and mean a short flight (less than 750 miles?) on an aircraft with less than 100 seats.

If you think the terms are different, please elaborate why. I only know them from general use, which I'm happy to say could be technically incorrect.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:42 am
Suspended

Word definitions can be controversial but in general, 'commuter' and 'regional' seem to be interchangeable, and mean a short flight (less than 750 miles?) on an aircraft with less than 100 seats.

If you think the terms are different, please elaborate why. I only know them from general use, which I'm happy to say could be technically incorrect.
A commuter airline (or bus, train) passenger is someone who routinely takes the same flight

1. One that travels regularly from one place to another, as from suburb to city and back.
2. An airplane or airline that carries passengers relatively short distances and often serves remote communities and small airports

The OAG also defined commuter flights as being under 100 miles. That certainly doesn't apply to most regional jets. Regional airline is also a silly name as they are used on some very long flights such as IAH-Canada. Some flights can last nearly four hours. Just refer to them as the cheaper contract carrier. That would be far more accurate.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I know people that regularly commute on planes with distances well over 100 miles. In fact the difference in commute time is not very significant from 100-500 miles IMO, because the flight bit is the quickest part of it all.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:57 am
Suspended

I know people that regularly commute on planes with distances well over 100 miles. In fact the difference in commute time is not very significant from 100-500 miles IMO, because the flight bit is the quickest part of it all.
Ok. My point still stands that calling a facility that houses jets that can take passengers, many connecting, 500-1500 miles a commuter terminal is downright laughable. Delta doesn't refer to Concourse B/C in DTW as their commuter terminal and it serves the same purpose of AA's future regional jet terminal at DCA.

Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:50 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
[left]

Ok. My point still stands that calling a facility that houses jets that can take passengers, many connecting, 500-1500 miles a commuter terminal is downright laughable.
Because you insist on using a narrow, convoluted definition of the word that nobody else uses? OK.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Lord. Can y'all chill for once?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
AUS would strike me as the top candidate, although SEA as mentioned up thread also makes a lot of sense.
The problem I see with DL trying DCA-SEA is that AS already runs it 2x daily. I'm not sure that DL is willing to be the underdog against AS on that sort of route. Maybe if DL made it a D1 route, with O/D timing, but then DL would need some serious demand from HVCs.

AUS on the other hand is only competing against WN. There's definitely room for a legacy to enter (a CS100 could be perfect).

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Mar 18, 2018 at 9:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.