Community
Wiki Posts
Search

38 minute to change planes BNA>MSP>ANC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by rylan
For some reason DL schedules a lot of <50 min connections there...
The reason is because that's what the vast majority of customers want. For business travelers, time is money.
pvn and jrmatt like this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

I had checked and it is cost prohibitive to rebook at this point. I rephrased the question to be more clear. I would never purposely choose a short layover. I can tell just by looking at the MSP map, running through MSP would be preferable to running through Atlanta. Had to run through Atlanta airport in May because of a delayed flight. Made it but it was so bad i swore i would drive to atlanta the next time and i no longer act like my friends are crazy who drive to Atlanta to catch a plane.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jrmatt
I had checked and it is cost prohibitive to rebook at this point. I rephrased the question to be more clear. I would never purposely choose a short layover. I can tell just by looking at the MSP map, running through MSP would be preferable to running through Atlanta. Had to run through Atlanta airport in May because of a delayed flight. Made it but it was so bad i swore i would drive to atlanta the next time and i no longer act like my friends are crazy who drive to Atlanta to catch a plane.
What we’ve been trying to tell you is that DL may allow you to be rebooked to an alternate option with a better layover at no cost to you, especially if the change was large enough. One area DL often shines is in flexibility and re-accommodation following schedule changes, while waiving change fee and fare differences. Look up possible alternate itineraries, and call and ask to be put on one of those flights. Just tell them you’re uncomfortable with a really tight 38 min layover. If the first agent balks, just say “thanks, I need more time to consider my options” and call back a little while later and ask again.

As I pointed out early in the thread, there is an option via SEA with similar departure and arrival times. Ask Delta if they’ll reaccomodate you on that due to the schedule change. The worst they’ll do is say “no” and you’re in no different of a place then you were before calling.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:27 pm

If Delta books close connections in different concourses then they should be responsible to shuttle those passengers in the Porsche to the next gate. I am not the one doing the scheduling or gate assignments. As a passenger I met Delta's terms and conditions by booking on a single ticket and now its Delta's responsibility to ensure that I make the flight.

I have a 45 minute connection in MSP in a few weeks and I hope that Delta has this worked out. I don't see why I should not be able to make the flight unless there are IRROPS. As I have low vision and Neuropathy I requested the wheelchair service especially on such a tight connection. If I am rebooked to a new flight then Delta would be responsible for meals and to compensate me for the delay as I was not the one who decided to make the flight connections close.

Yes I agree to check the application for rebooking and doing it yourself so as to prevent any further delay when arriving but I think Delta takes some responsibility here as well.
jrmatt likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

I have already checked about rebooking and i am aware of all my options regarding rebooking, alternative flights, overnight layovers, etc. My question was about experiences at MSP regarding tight layovers and lengthy gate distances at MSP. I apologize for not being more clear in original post. I dont know how i can be any more clear now. I guess it isnt a waste for people to continually post about rebooking, it might help someone else in the future. Some comments have been very insightful and on topic (thank you) while others are berating. Very sad.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS, DL GM, AA, HH Plat, IHG
I have already checked about rebooking and i am aware of all my options regarding rebooking, alternative flights, overnight layovers, etc. My question was about experiences at MSP regarding tight layovers and lengthy gate distances at MSP. I apologize for not being more clear in original post. I dont know how i can be any more clear now. I guess it isnt a waste for people to continually post about rebooking, it might help someone else in the future. Some comments have been very insightful and on topic (thank you) while others are berating. Very sad.
FYI, I do IND to ANC at least twice a year, and have for a decade -- always try to go through SEA, but sometimes MSP. Transit MSP 4-6 times/year on other trips. Because of my experiences connecting at MSP, I never feel comfortable with less than 55 mins, but have sometimes done it without too much trouble at around 40 mins -- but only because I was sitting up front, and I knew my way around. Exiting from the back can make for an iffy connect, if 40 mins or less. I try for a connect through SEA primarily because I really want to get out and stretch every 3-4 hours -- hate those 5-6 hour legs. Caution about arriving late in ANC if renting a car -- even though I'm Hertz Gold 5-star, I sometimes have extreme limited choice -- like one, and not one that I would have preferred -- when arriving after 10pm.
jrmatt likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by danielonn
If I am rebooked to a new flight then Delta would be responsible for meals and to compensate me for the delay as I was not the one who decided to make the flight connections close.
Delta isn't forcing you to fly that (or any other) itin. Don't like it, book longer connections. It really is that simple.
jrmatt likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Others here don’t know what you do and don’t know up front unless you state it up front. Posters were merely offering suggestions in response to what you posted and what your concerns were and offering work-arounds to your posted concerns. You expressed concern over the short layover, which was shortened by DL (not what you originally booked). Some of us chimes in with alternate schedules on DL that would involve longer layovers. You expressed concern about having to pay change fees to be rebooked. We explained that this may not be a factor, as Delta is often very flexible. Many of us have successfully managed to get rebookings at no cost in these same types of situations, including layovers being shortened to connections that meet MCT, but are still somewhat risky.

If you’re content with the schedule and prefer it for other reasons (earliest arrival, etc) and would prefer this then that’s your preference and there’s nothing wrong with that. Hopefully the layover in MSP works out and you get to enjoy your trip in ANC with no issues.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
It's a toss up depending on the conditions at the airport that day you fly. Overall very doable. Do not underestimate the advantage of the golf carts. Anyone can use them and I often do for very tight connections. Easy to flag down.
jrmatt likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pvn
Any reason you didn't post in those threads instead of starting a new one?

1) get off first plane
2) walk to 2nd filght
3) board

You'll probably make it, but there are never any guarantees. As ijgordon said, it's not really clear what sort of information you're looking for.
Or, if the first flight was slightly delayed, do the following:
1) get off first plane
2) run to 2nd flight
3) board
jrmatt likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:20 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Yes, you might have to run. Of course, even with a 2 hour connection you might take a delay and have to run.
jrmatt likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
If you think rebooking is “cost-prohibitive,” then it sounds like you are not aware of your options, because it is very, very likely Delta would change your flights to the SEA connection for free.

Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: SM/Marriott/Hilton - Diamond
Occasionally I arrive at G22 and depart at G22 (happened 3 times or so...all when I had a 2+ hour layover). Today I arrived at G20 and departed A2. On a really unlucky day I end up at G4 and depart out of B12 with a 40 minute layover. That stinks but it's doable even without moving walkways or trams (I don't use them, especially moving walkways) but it's a hike. MSP is large and navigating it doesn't make a lot of sense if you're not there often. 38 minutes is doable but won't be fun.
jrmatt likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:07 am

Some comments have been very insightful and on topic (thank you) while others are berating. Very sad.
I agree that some people here have been quite disrespectful to you. That makes me sad, too. Your original question was posted on a "Flame Free" area of FlyerTalk. Sadly, some people here aren't willing to moderate their attacks when a "Flame Free" thread gets transferred into a different section of the forum.
jrmatt likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
I’ve actually missed a connection at MSP from a flight that came in on F and was departing in B. My flight was originally a 1.5 hour layover, but was delayed an hour coming in so it ended up being ~30 min ‘layover’

that said, I’ve also been on the BNA->MSP flight several times....if all goes normal you should get in 20 minutes sooner that the listed arrival time
jrmatt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.