Wiki Posts
Search

Miles trip to HNL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Miles trip to HNL

I am shocked. Maybe I haven't been to HI lately. Trying to check miles for a rt from NY to HI any time of year. Lowest is 94.000 pp. Am I doing something wrong???? Any info helpful.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ontheway
I am shocked. Maybe I haven't been to HI lately. Trying to check miles for a rt from NY to HI any time of year. Lowest is 94.000 pp. Am I doing something wrong???? Any info helpful.
You aren't doing anything wrong, most likely. DL uses "dynamic pricing" with miles and knows that a lot of people want to use their FF miles to go to Hawaii, and adjusts the mileage redemptions rates in line with supply and demand. Earlier this week I was helping my parents book tickets to Hawaii for the late summer or early fall from NC and they/we were seeing the same thing. 90,000 r/t economy, 300,000+ for FC if you wanted the HNL-ATL with lie-flats on the return. Even West Coast - Hawaii wasn't much better. 60,000 miles r/t for West Coast - HNL in economy, 110,000+ for FC r/t for a standard domestic 757.

If you care, have the ability, and for the amount of miles DL is charging, check the revenue fare and consider pay with miles. My parents ended up using their AmEx companion cert from NC to SEA to visit us en route and will hop off to Hawaii form here. As I was looking for SEA-Hawaii options, I noticed that the one-way fare on SEA-HNL was $580, so instead of them just burning 55,000 for a straight redemption, I convinced them to use 55,000 miles worth of "Pay with Miles" to take $550 off the price, so they're paying ~$30 out of pocket, but they'll still get the MQMs (they do have status so getting ~4,000 MQMs for 55,000 miles and $30 versus 0 MQMs for 55,000 miles and $5 works out well for them). On the return back to SEA I convinced them to go with HA in FC, as they wanted a daytime flight.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:50 pm

The only thing you did wrong was getting the miles on Delta.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you search using 'NYC' as origin, you will see there is availability out of EWR at 60K RT.

You could also book separate tickets for NYC-DEN and DEN-HNL for 49K RT total. (16K + 33K).
Looks like you could also combine NYC-SEA with SEA-KOA for 51K RT total (19K + 32K)
obscure2k likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 11, 2018 at 5:30 pm
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
The only thing you did wrong was getting the miles on Delta.
The 'lack of saver award' threads proliferate in the Alaska, American, and United forums, too.

The Southwest guys are still wondering when WN will actually fly there, what there will be for routes, and working double-time rationalizing why the lack of meals, Buy on Board, seat assignments and at-seat power is going to be great.

WN going to Hawaii
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ontheway
I recently booked east coast to OGG for 4 pax during Christmas 2018. Many of the flights were running 90,000 miles one-way in economy (both to HNL and OGG), particularly any of those utilizing a wide body. I was relieved to get out with 64,000 total for the outbound and return. Looking at the fares for purchase, the one-way legs were $900-1,200 (K fares and higher), so PWM at 90,000+ vs award at 34,000 wasn't worth the RUC (no D1 to OGG anyway) and MQM benefits to me. I'm keeping an eye on the fares, with the option of redepositing the award miles and switching to PWM if lower fare classes open up.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL does monthly 48-hour award flash sales on the second Tuesday of each month. They had one for Hawaii last September for 35K RT which covered Jan 8 through March 23. I've taken advantage of a couple of these in the past and it's a good idea to keep an eye on your inbox around this time (if you've signed up for DL promotional emails).
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:50 pm

[QUOTE=3Cforme;29512352]The 'lack of saver award' threads proliferate in the Alaska, American, and United forums, too.

Alaska and United frequently book PHL/HNL RT for 45,000 miles. American 40,000 miles. How often does Delta match these?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
[QUOTE=KenfromDE;29512898]
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The 'lack of saver award' threads proliferate in the Alaska, American, and United forums, too.

Alaska and United frequently book PHL/HNL RT for 45,000 miles. American 40,000 miles. How often does Delta match these?
Delta awards to HI are just absurd. Reason why I got an Explorer Biz cc and will use United to HI instead. Pretty good inventory for cardholders @ 45k RT.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by LBJ
DL does monthly 48-hour award flash sales on the second Tuesday of each month. They had one for Hawaii last September for 35K RT which covered Jan 8 through March 23. I've taken advantage of a couple of these in the past and it's a good idea to keep an eye on your inbox around this time (if you've signed up for DL promotional emails).
FWIW, I had a streak a number of years back where I always seemed to get the Hawaii trip for the very end of April or start of May, whether with miles or a rock-bottom paid ticket like a short-lived hub-attack fare. It's not a bad time to go, and one year I even made it to the May 1 Waikiki Shell concert with the Brothers Cazimero. I decided it was probably the lowest demand time in the year.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
[QUOTE=KenfromDE;29512898]
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

How often do AS and UA match Delta's award sales?

If the OP said he wanted to fly from PHL it might be relevant.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
It's not for me, I am trying to get free air for my son and daughter in law. My son told her "let's be honest, we can never afford to go to hawaii, it's just a dream." She and I are trying to make it work. It would have to be from NY or EWR. I do appreciate the flash sale info...we can try that too. I have a ton of British Airway miles but every time I've tried to use them for europe it costs more to use miles than to pay for the ticket. I tried to book hawaii on their website but it doesn't let you try that either. ughhhhhhhhhhh
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:58 am

Just checked JFK/HNL RT for early Oct. Using flexible dates, Delta was 94,000 to 180,000 miles for coach. Of course if connecting through ATL, you do get a meal in DL coach. Alaska was 35,000 RT! United and American 45,000. Granted this is not a few days before or after a holiday, but it gives a comparison. Can't wait to check out the DL award flash sales.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Just checked JFK/HNL RT for early Oct. Using flexible dates, Delta was 94,000 to 180,000 miles for coach. Of course if connecting through ATL, you do get a meal in DL coach. Alaska was 35,000 RT! United and American 45,000. Granted this is not a few days before or after a holiday, but it gives a comparison. Can't wait to check out the DL award flash sales.
As I mentioned upthread, if you just go across the river to EWR, there are awards available from 60K RT instead of the 94K from LGA/JFK. You can also combine an LGA/JFK-DEN award at 16K with a DEN-HNL award at 33K for a total of 49K RT. The 33K award availability is not great, but there is some there in October. Cash fares on DEN-HNL are available from $402 in main cabin. Cash fares from YYZ-HNL are also pretty good due to the exchange rate (from around $470 USD in main cabin). There are 8K one-way awards on JFK-YYZ and it's possible to do hidden city routing on return from HNL (HNL-LAX-JFK-YYZ).

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 12, 2018 at 9:53 am
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:03 am

What happens if you misconnect on 2 separate awards? You are right DL has a few 60,000 mile EWR/HNL and max.of 121,000 RT. The other airlines hold fast on same as JFK, 35,000, 45,000 & 45.000. Since I always make this run with wife, this is 30,000 to 50,000 more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.