Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

what to expect from Delta Business Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what to expect from Delta Business Class?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
PJs only on China or SYD routes
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
All TPAC flights get them, so that might have been a one-off error. SEA-CDG is TATL so no.
Only TPAC to China (including HKG) and Australia. D1 routes to Japan (incl. NRT) and flights to ICN do not get Delta One PJs (and we did not get them on NRT-DTW last year when I flew D1).

https://news.delta.com/delta-one-fli...a-destinations
Delta One customers flying between Seattle and Detroit to China will enjoy the airline’s light-gray cotton loungewear on board beginning March 15.The loungewear will be available on flights between Seattle and Shanghai, Detroit and Shanghai, Seattle and Beijing, Detroit and Beijing, and Seattle and Hong Kong. Customers will be able to choose from small/medium or large/extra-large sizes and are encouraged to take the outfits with them to wear at home, in their hotel or on future Delta flights.“Expanding our loungewear to China is just another way we are investing in the overall experience for our customers,” said Allison Ausband, Delta’s Senior Vice President - In-Flight Service. “When customers settle in with us on board for a long flight, we want it to feel like home, and expanding our loungewear service, complete with a full flat-bed seat and a Westin Heavenly duvet, is increasing comfort like never before.”
The loungewear was introduced in December 2015 for customers flying in the Delta One cabin between Los Angeles and Sydney and Los Angeles and Shanghai. It’s the latest in a number of enhancements the airline has made in the Delta One cabin.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 2mm, AA EXP mm, UA SL, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
There is a priority security line for transfers at NRT for business-class customers and delta elites though at times the line seems loner than the one for non-priority.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by salsa
There is a priority security line for transfers at NRT for business-class customers and delta elites though at times the line seems loner than the one for non-priority.
I've never understood the transfer security line at NRT. I've just come off an airplane where I've been screened and OK'd to get on it, funneled through a secure & quarantined hallway after getting off the plane at NRT, and now I have to get re-screened to catch my connecting flight two gates from where I arrived.

If I had gone through immigration/customs and out to the check-in area, I totally get that I would need to be re-screened, but I really don't get why on a transfer.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:20 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by anon2k2
If I had gone through immigration/customs and out to the check-in area, I totally get that I would need to be re-screened, but I really don't get why on a transfer.
Presumably you feel the same way about the procedure for international arrivals into the US?
In2ishn likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL PM
I've never understood the transfer security line at NRT. I've just come off an airplane where I've been screened and OK'd to get on it, funneled through a secure & quarantined hallway after getting off the plane at NRT, and now I have to get re-screened to catch my connecting flight two gates from where I arrived.

Ah but apparently DL can plant contraband on you on the way to NRT, doncha know?!

On a DL SEA-SIN flight with transfer at NRT as you described, DL metal all the way, traveling in J. Stuffed the SEA-NRT amenity kit in my bag before deplaning.

Got pulled from the security line at NRT because of the little black pen with the Tumi logo on it inside the Tumi bag.

It was a big problem, requiring a long delay. I explained I just got that thing from the Delta plane I just got off of and that she could keep it if she wanted to because I will get an identical pen on the SIN flight. No, no, she doesn't want to just throw it out. But she's not at all comfortable letting me pass with this thing DL gave me between SEA and NRT. She was very, very sweet and very apologetic about the delay and the kerfuffle, and she did eventually decide that my pen could safely travel with me, but reluctantly, and only after careful inspection, including taking the pen apart.

You never know what's going to set them off, but I never in a thousand years would have suspected the pen in the amenity kit would be it. 😂
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:27 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by skemet
Greetings,

New to the forums.

I have finally axxrued enough miles to get a Business CLass upgrade. My flight is Delta PDX - MNL via NRT. I have never flown Business Class before and don't really know what to expect/ For example, should I pack sleepwear, or is it a wrinkled clothes affair when it comes to lie flat bedding? Will I get priority when going through transfer at narita? I know I have to go through another security check point before boarding my flight to Manila. Do people tip the flight attendants?

Anything else would be appreciated. Sorry for sounding so naive.
Back to the original question perhaps?

If you like Japanese food, you can pre-book the Japanese meal for your PDX-NRT flight. You can also try to order it on board, but they often run out, so prebooking guarantees you'll get it. If you want to do that, it's under the special requests section of My Trips on delta.com, same place where you would request a vegetarian/kosher/etc. meal.

Otherwise there's not too many secrets to business class to discover, but it should be an enjoyable flight, especially for the first time. No PJs on Japan flights, as others have said, but if you want you could bring a change of clothes. There are fairly big bathrooms on the 767s that are used on the PDX-NRT route that have enough space to change in comfortably.

Most other things you might need will be provided. There will be a water bottle waiting at your seat when you board, and you'll be given an amenity kit with a toothbrush, eye shade, lotion, etc. I believe all Japan routes also get a pair of small, flimsy slippers if you want to use those.

If you happen to enjoy champagne, be aware that the sparkling wine you will be offered by the flight attendants during boarding is cheap stuff, but a better and more expensive real champagne is served once you are up in the air (because airlines don't have to pay duty on booze served in the air on international flights). So if you try and don't like the stuff they serve during boarding, it could still be worth giving it another shot after takeoff.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:32 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

In most places you have to reclear security for an international to international connection. The implication is that the connecting country (in this case Japan) doesn't trust the security procedures of the originating country (in this case the US, or the Philippines, depending on direction).

And more importantly, even if Japan does trust US security, they still have to screen you if they don't trust Philippines security, because passengers coming off planes from both places mingle in the same area as they walk toward transit security or immigration. So in theory if Philippines (or some other country, don't mean to pick on them but it was the example pertinent to the thread) security is deficient and someone is able to smuggle something they're not supposed to have onto the plane departing MNL, that person could hand it off to someone coming off the US flight in the area leading up to transit security.

Some airports, like AMS and FRA, are configured so that there are two options: passengers arriving from trusted countries like the US can be let out into the main terminal, similar to how you arrive on a domestic flight in the US except for that you would still need to clear immigration if you are going to leave the airport. Meanwhile passengers arriving from non-trusted countries are sent through a different channel and have to reclear security before they can take a connecting flight. But most airports aren't set up with those different channels, and the regulator in Japan would also need to have a structure in place for "trusting" other countries which may not exist now anyway.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:37 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Zorak
Presumably you feel the same way about the procedure for international arrivals into the US?
In the US you're basically landside once you go through immigration and you have access to carry-on bags. There's no way to allow those people back airside without a screen.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
S KEMET-

One unmentioned advantage of flying Delta one is the use of the club prior to departure and doing connections. Quite relaxing, generally good food (I don’t know the PDX club specifically) and I’m sure you’ll have access to a partner club in Manila.
it IS worth checking out the order in advance menu, or checking FT for current transpacific menus.
Enjoy,
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My impression is still that it's based on destination and/or stage length.

On a quick search I couldn't find anything definitive one way or the other but SEA-HKG is explicitly mentioned here:

https://news.delta.com/delta-one-fli...a-destinations
This does say that there should be PJs offered on SEA-HKG. It didn't happen on my flight last month, but the problem might have been just that we had a very bad purser.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This does say that there should be PJs offered on SEA-HKG. It didn't happen on my flight last month, but the problem might have been just that we had a very bad purser.
Ok, but my post that you replied to was from March, and the linked news article is two years old the more recent indications in the other thread are that they're gone.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Ok, but my post that you replied to was from March, and the linked news article is two years old the more recent indications in the other thread are that they're gone.
Yeah, I did notice the age of this thread and the linked DL press release. I was trying to figure out why I had somehow expected PJs on my flight. I find it strange that DL would announce and begin to (partially) implement a D1 amenity that's offered by a number of DL's competitors and then reverse course. I don't think there were any obvious quality or production problems with the DL D1 PJs.

BTW, isn't your flight just about ready to leave the gate?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yeah, I did notice the age of this thread and the linked DL press release. I was trying to figure out why I had somehow expected PJs on my flight. I find it strange that DL would announce and begin to (partially) implement a D1 amenity that's offered by a number of DL's competitors and then reverse course. I don't think there were any obvious quality or production problems with the DL D1 PJs.

BTW, isn't your flight just about ready to leave the gate?
Just flew SYD-LAX and back and they were not offered (and I forgot to ask). Did not see any other passengers with them either.

I knew 2 of the FAs well and think they would have offered them to me if they were loaded...

Hilariously, I have 1 pair of these from when I flew ICN-SEA in the back; the gate couldn't figure out how to clear my GUC despite empty seats up front, and the FAs felt bad and treated me very nicely in the back, including PJs. They're nothing special IMO and I rarely wear them due to poor fit.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by salsa
My theory on this is that all the D1 passengers disembark first, and they/we all follow the signs for business class security, resulting in a potential queue if there aren't other planes arriving at the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.