Overheard on Your Delta Flight

Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta, AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold
Not Delta but on an American flight leaving CLT I was seated behind an older southern gentleman who obviously couldn't hear very well by the volume of his voice and volume of his phone. I could pretty much hear everything his wife was saying on the phone but he called her after boarding and told her they were pumping the tires up and beating on the engine with a hammer for some reason but we should be taking off shortly. The panic of his wife on the phone was absolutely hilarious.
wrp96 and Howste like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:17 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
This was a long time ago and I think actually on a WN flight, though some variation of it no doubt re-occurs on a semi-regular basis

FA: "... should you need additional light for reading please press the button above your head that has the picture of a light bulb on it"

(somewhere back in the plane a call button goes off): DING!

FA, in a joking manner: "shame on you"

(plane breaks out into laughter)
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:10 am
pmv

While quietly thinking (these seats on the 76 SUCK)
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I was boarding a flight at ATL a week ago and a couple approached the GA and asked if they could board with Zone Sky because the husband was a Platinum but they had zone 2. He showed his card and turns out he was a Platinum on AA.
this really needs to be in the DYKWIA thread. It’s an awesome fail
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Flight from MSP to ATL.
FA: we are ready to go but waiting to restock air sickness bags
then a long pause
FA: we expect a very bumpy ride since this plane and crew just flew up from ATL.
ME: you know that everyone now thinks that you used up all of the air sickness bags on the way up here, right?
FA: that’s not what I meant
wrp96, Howste and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JoelThomas
Guy on phone in MSP men's room, seemingly talking to his young daughter:

Man this place is busy today... No no, not the bathroom. The bathroom isn't busy - the airport is. A lot of people flying to all different places... No no, they're WALKING around the airport to get on the PLANES that will fly them.
Was this *the* *famous* men's room where the politician played footsie with the undercover cop?

A few years ago I was flying LIM-ATL and the FA asked me if I wanted "creipis" for breakfast. Took me a while to figure out that she was actually offering me crępes.
Well, crepes can be creepy.

Originally Posted by puck021
Flight from MSP to ATL.
FA: we are ready to go but waiting to restock air sickness bags
then a long pause
FA: we expect a very bumpy ride since this plane and crew just flew up from ATL.
ME: you know that everyone now thinks that you used up all of the air sickness bags on the way up here, right?
FA: that’s not what I meant
I find the "since the....crew just flew up from ATL" funny in that it suggests that ATL crew don't know how to fly very well. It might make sense during a blizzard.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

I find the "since the....crew just flew up from ATL" funny in that it suggests that ATL crew don't know how to fly very well. It might make sense during a blizzard.
For most of us in higher lattitudes, as you move from ATL towards the top of the map, you are going north.

For a few folks, you are going up.

For some in ATL you are moving away from the center of the universe.

Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We could also translate "flew up" as ascended to a higher altitude, which is a good thing to do at the start of a flight or when approaching a mountain. Of course, under this interpretation, an aircraft must then fly down to land.

Regardless, "from ATL" clarifies that the crew came to MSP from the South.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
This was several years back on a small regional jet, no first class and just one FA. I was in the window seat and a physician was seated next to me, on the aisle. We both noticed that the FA had what I think is commonly called a short arm. We talked how it was pretty remarkable since the FA had to perform the duties the same as anyone else.

The FA came around with the drink cart and managed everything smoothly. When the FA got to our row, the doctor ordered a soft drink. For some reason it was hard popping the tab. After a few moments, and I sh_t you not, the physician said, "Can I give you a hand?"

The FA never blinked, popped the can and moved on. I've never seen anyone turn so red.

Last edited by boeingATL; Mar 16, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by boeingATL
This was several years back on a small regional jet, no first class and just one FA. I was in the window seat and a physician was seated next to me, on the aisle. We both noticed that the FA had what I think is commonly called a short arm. We talked how it was pretty remarkable since the FA had to perform the duties the same as anyone else.<br /><br />The FA came around with the drink cart and managed everything smoothly. When the FA got to our row, the doctor ordered a soft drink. For some reason it was hard popping the tab. After a few moments, and I sh_t you not, the physician said, "Can I give you a hand?"<br /><br />The FA never blinked, popped the can and moved on. I've never seen anyone turn so red.
In college I had a similar gaffe... I went into a local hotel chain to apply for a job interview and so I walk in trying to be funny I say I "hear y'all are short handed* as I was approaching the desk... He's pulling a packet of pre interview paperwork for me and I look down and sure enough dudes got 1 hand. Luckily I didn't have to interview with him.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: DL UA WN AMTK
The first time I flew DL proper, back in 2006 (I'd flown NW before then but this was obviously pre-merger), it was a red-eye flight from PHX-ATL. At the gate in PHX, some other college kids were wondering why the gate area was "so crowded for such a tiny plane." The "tiny plane" was an MD-80. I suppose this route was usually on a 738 or 752. I think they saw the T-tail and assumed it was a CRJ!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:46 pm

A few years ago I was flying LIM-ATL and the FA asked me if I wanted "creipis" for breakfast. Took me a while to figure out that she was actually offering me crępes.
Was it a Brazilian?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
At LGA Guy on the phone "Just got to JFK in the nick of time flight to Heathrow is in an hour"
GoAmtrak and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
At LGA Guy on the phone "Just got to JFK in the nick of time flight to Heathrow is in an hour"
Ouch. I've done the LGA/JFK mixup before...but my flight was just back to ATL so probably an easier recovery than that guy.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Alphazone
Was it a Brazilian?
Deleted: I read the question as "what's a Brazilian" and gave a NSFW definition.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 17, 2018 at 4:26 pm Reason: see above

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.