Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

WSJ Article “JFK Turf War”; Delta expansion plans, or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

Delta has no plans to expand T2, wants to expand T4 to the west.

https://apple.news/ANNTWGX8tTxqMW4h2paQrog

Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Terminal 2 is an awful experience, I would much rather see T4 get expanded and a second SC added along with more gates for DL + SkyTeam partners. It's too bad AF and KE are part of T1 ownership, I would love to see T4 expand a lot and see all of JFK's partners move to a much bigger T4.

Maybe the long game is to expand T1 east and T4 west and connect T1, 2 and 4 post-security? That would be cool.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by manacit
Terminal 2 is an awful experience, I would much rather see T4 get expanded and a second SC added along with more gates for DL + SkyTeam partners. It's too bad AF and KE are part of T1 ownership, I would love to see T4 expand a lot and see all of JFK's partners move to a much bigger T4.
They need to fix security before they expand anything else at T4.
cmx, Occupationalhazard and ryanm like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
The only positive thing about T2 is that it is relatively compact and once you clear security you can get to your gate quickly if necessary. T4, not so much.
cmx likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd be happy with a CLEAR lane at T4. As it is I clear (pun fully intended) security at T2 and then hop the Jitney over.

O/H
cmx likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by manacit
Terminal 2 is an awful experience,
T2 is fantastic. Pre-check line is always short, Sky Club is never overcrowded, you're always two minutes from your gate. I hate T4.
jdrtravel and MCO Flyer like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:41 pm

Let's see what the mafia has to say about this
tonypct likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ty97
T2 is fantastic. Pre-check line is always short, Sky Club is never overcrowded, you're always two minutes from your gate. I hate T4.
+1. T2 is perhaps uglier, but better in all other respects.
The Skyclubs are bigger in T4 (I think, haven't been in the T2 one in a while) but not sure that makes a difference.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I see nothing special about T4 as it is ugly to me, is always overcrowded, and way too big. T2 may not be the nicest terminal in the world but the SC is never over crowded and all the gates are close to each other but not too close to each other where there is no room in the terminal area. (cough cough LAX T3)
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Kacee
The only thing needed to fix T4 security is to increase staffing, as there are already something like 10 or 12 baggage x-ray lanes of which maybe 6 are ever open.

Well, and turning down the random secondary on the pre-check line so I don't get a pat down 25% of the time...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Delta has made JFK a mess. They should have built an entirely new terminal like AA did. At least T2 and T3 were connected and it wasn't nearly as bad as the bus ride and long walk to T4. Not to mention T4 is completely uninspiring. Nothing but white walls and yellow signs as far as the eye can see. Delta should be ashamed at their appalling lack of effort and creativity.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I really hope they don’t extend T-4 any further out. Is there something they could do in another direction?

As it is, the lack of any kind of moving walkway from the beginning of the Gates to the escalator down to baggage claim already sucks after a 5 hour flight from LAX that lands around midnight and seems to come in at/near the last gate. So It’s like a 10 minute walk already, encompassing 5 or so little sections of walkway with one or more out of service quite often, and then that final long walk to the escalator to baggage claim/air train.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
T4 sucks.....I have no issues with T2
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by High Technology
I really hope they don’t extend T-4 any further out. Is there something they could do in another direction?
If you look at an airport map, Pier B (the really long one that ends in the RJ gates) can't go any further, as it pretty much reaches the taxiways. Any extension would be to Pier A, which DL does not currently operate out of.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I like terminal 2 for the reasons others have stated, but I also actually like the look of it. I think it's now the oldest working terminal at JFK, and while it's not nearly as beautiful as the terminal 3 Worldport was, it still gives a nod to the midcentury modern jet age aesthetic, even if it may be a bit brutalist, and it's certainly more interesting than t-4. I love the very high ceilings and tall windows overlooking the tarmac, the simple beams holding up the structure, and also the square decor in the ceiling. The Sky Club is also pretty decent for the terminal, though it can feel a bit dark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.