Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL: Gate Check to layover or final destination?

Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓

DELTA 4326*Basic Economy (E)WASHINGTON-DULLES 9:44amDETROIT11:25amDELTA 3624*Basic Economy (E)DETROIT 12:03pmDAYTON, OH1:04pm*Flight 4326 Operated by SKYWEST DBA DELTA CONNECTION
*Flight 3624 Operated by ENDEAVOR AIR DBA DELTA CONNECTION
If my carry-on gets gate checked at IAD, will I get it back at DTW or DAY? On basic economy fare, so passenger will be last to board. Any advice is appreciated to avoid getting bag gate checked all the way to DAY.

Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:25 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
They would check it to your final destination. There would be no reason to only check it to your layover destination. Additionally if its a CRJ they will probably valet check your bags regardless. Delta allows carry on luggage in Basic Economy.
hokiebuy likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Usually when bags are gate checked, they're delivered to the baggage claim at the final destination. There's no realistic way for you to get it from baggage claim at DTW and then still make the DAY flight.
The only exception is usually small regional jets where they "valet" check all rollaboards and then deliver them back to the jetway shortly after arrival. Definitely on the ERJ 135/145s (If DL even flies them anymore), not sure about the CRJs, and probably not on the E170/190s.
hokiebuy likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Then how about avoiding rollaboards altogether? Carry a bag pack and a duffel bag, any chances of them forcing a gate-check on those items? Never seen United or American do it.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Usually when bags are gate checked, they're delivered to the baggage claim at the final destination. There's no realistic way for you to get it from baggage claim at DTW and then still make the DAY flight.
The only exception is usually small regional jets where they "valet" check all rollaboards and then deliver them back to the jetway shortly after arrival. Definitely on the ERJ 135/145s (If DL even flies them anymore), not sure about the CRJs, and probably not on the E170/190s.
No, I'm pretty sure that all RJs gate checks are returned at the jetbridge. All CRJs (2,7,and 9) are anyway.
hokiebuy likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
'Forcing' a gate check? A large fraction of my Delta flights - mainline or RJ - goes out with GAs asking for bags to check, free of charge. I don't think GAs discriminate on bag type at that point - they just want to check enough bags to avoid departure delays when carry-on space runs out.

If you don't want something gate checked stick to a personal item that fits under your seat.

Let me guess - this is throw away ticketing and your real destination is DTW not DAY, then perhaps onward on a separate ticket?
hokiebuy likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

I plead the 5th!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWads
No, I'm pretty sure that all RJs gate checks are returned at the jetbridge. All CRJs (2,7,and 9) are anyway.
That’s comforting to hear. DL 4326 is CRJ 200, operated by SkyWest.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:55 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
DELTA 4326*Basic Economy (E)WASHINGTON-DULLES 9:44amDETROIT11:25amDELTA 3624*Basic Economy (E)DETROIT 12:03pmDAYTON, OH1:04pm*Flight 4326 Operated by SKYWEST DBA DELTA CONNECTION
*Flight 3624 Operated by ENDEAVOR AIR DBA DELTA CONNECTION
If my carry-on gets gate checked at IAD, will I get it back at DTW or DAY? On basic economy fare, so passenger will be last to board. Any advice is appreciated to avoid getting bag gate checked all the way to DAY.

The bag will be given a pink tag at the gate for pick-up at the jet bridge in Detroit since the flight is on a CRJ. It will most definitely not be checked through to the ostensible final destination of Dayton.
hokiebuy likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
This was a good flight to purchase BE with both legs being CR2s so all seats are terrible and there are no middle seats as well as all bags being gate checked no mater what so your not really loosing too much as a non status pax.
hokiebuy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.