Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why two different experiences in F ATL-CTG-ATL?

Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM

Hello, I just got back from a trip to Cartagena, Colombia (CTG). I flew in F both ways. ATL-CTG was almost as good as TATL Delta One (except the seats were standard F). Champagne and juice were served as we pre-boarded. Every seat had an amenity kit, and a Westin pillow and comforter. Lunch was outstanding (and we got a printed menu); a choice between penne pasta and lacquered chicken. A wonderful apple, manchego and lettuce salad, shrimp cocktail, pretzel roll, and a choice of three desserts (caramel cake, ice cream sundae or a cheese plate). It was very different on the CTG-ATL flight. Just a thin, blue blanket and no amenity kit. When I asked for a pillow I was told there weren't any. No pre-boarding drinks. Lunch was not bad, but there were no choices. Everyone got a ham sandwich, a salad, and passion fruit cheesecake (which was very good). There may have been one other item but I forgot what it was. So my question is.....why such a difference in the F experience?

I am also wondering if this is the same experience in F for other northern South American cities, like BOG, UIO and LIM.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
pmrowczynski likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:04 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I'm not an expert, but, if I had to guess, I'd say that the ATL/CTG flight was a mistake, in that, the flight is on a B737-800. Do ANY B738 flights get Westin bedding? Amenity kits? The return flight sounds like an error in the other direction. NO CHOICE of meal in First Class?!? Seems very odd to me.

That said - - I'll be flying this same round trip <with a non-status> friend in May, so, I'm curious to know if this was paid F, or, a comp Medallion Upgrade? I'm hoping to get upgrades for both of us, but, I don't know how Medallion heavy it is. The problem for my companion is that we're on 2 different records, as, I'm overnighting in ATL, and we're meeting up the next morning to fly to CTG.

Last edited by davetravels; Mar 5, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Ham Sandwich!!!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Ham Sandwich!!!
Yeah, I was thinking about the cannibalism aspect!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:21 pm

I recently flew this route as well and wondered the same thing. ATL-CTG had pdb, tumi kit, westin bedding, choice of meal, etc but coming back was just a sandwich in FC.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm not an expert, but, if I had to guess, I'd say that the ATL/CTG flight was a mistake, in that, the flight is on a B737-800. Do ANY B738 flights get Westin bedding? Amenity kits? The return flight sounds like an error in the other direction. NO CHOICE of meal in First Class?!? Seems very odd to me.

That said - - I'll be flying this same round trip <with a non-status> friend in May, so, I'm curious to know if this was paid F, or, a comp Medallion Upgrade? I'm hoping to get upgrades for both of us, but, I don't know how Medallion heavy it is. The problem for my companion is that we're on 2 different records, as, I'm overnighting in ATL, and we're meeting up the next morning to fly to CTG.

I cleared T-5 as a PM for both segments. I think your companion needs to be on the same PNR in order to get upgraded.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by callaweii
I cleared T-5 as a PM for both segments. I think your companion needs to be on the same PNR in order to get upgraded.
The phone agent said - without my asking, because I thought the same thing you're saying - that, she linked the reservations so he could get an UG at the airport, if available, but, it didn't sound right to me.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
The phone agent said - without my asking, because I thought the same thing you're saying - that, she linked the reservations so he could get an UG at the airport, if available, but, it didn't sound right to me.
I think this is correct, however your friend will clear at a no status level, whereas if you were on the same PNR, you would have cleared together at your level (assuming there were two seats available at
the same time)
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
That's correct for comfort plus, but for first/business companion can be in the same or a different PNR. Only difference is the priority level and clearance timing.

See: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...html#companion
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I think this is correct. . . .
Thanx for that!

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
. . . . . however your friend will clear at a no status level, whereas if you were on the same PNR, you would have cleared together at your level (assuming there were two seats available at
the same time)
Originally Posted by SamOF
. . . . for first/business companion can be in the same or a different PNR. Only difference is the priority level and clearance timing.
Yeah, that part I know. So, with our reservations only linked, how do I go about getting my friend on the UG list at the airport?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM

I was upgraded both ways on my PE status. Four of us were upgraded ATL-CTG and five of us were upgraded CTG-ATL. I was upgraded on both flights one hour before departure. I did see the passenger seating chart in the F galley ATL-CTG. One person was identified as Diamond, one as Gold and seven as Platinum. I assume the rest had paid for F but of course I dont know that for sure. The flight was very pleasant both ways.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by jaimemayo

I was upgraded both ways on my PE status. Four of us were upgraded ATL-CTG and five of us were upgraded CTG-ATL. I was upgraded on both flights one hour before departure. I did see the passenger seating chart in the F galley ATL-CTG. One person was identified as Diamond, one as Gold and seven as Platinum. I assume the rest had paid for F but of course I dont know that for sure. The flight was very pleasant both ways.
Thanx for that! So, I guess there were still Medallions left on the UG list who didn't make it? I was hoping it would be a Medallion VERY LITE route, for my non-status companion. I guess that's asking too much out of ATL.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
This is exactly what happened to me on my ATL-CTG-ATL flights back in January. Full bedding & menus on the way down, not so much the way back. I'm guessing it's because DL only has 3 flights a week out of CTG, so it doesn't make sense for them to have extra pillows & bedding there. So they probably stock the pillows & bedding in ATL for both directions, and there isn't room on the plane for 32 oversized pillows & 32 Westin blankets. Thus, the flight down gets the full treatment, while the flight back gets the standard small pillows & blankets.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel

Yeah, that part I know. So, with our reservations only linked, how do I go about getting my friend on the UG list at the airport?
So what part didnt you know?

Any agent-phone, Twitter, airport, can request a companion upgrade on a separate PNR. The companion has a T-24 upgrade window, and then is automatically added to airport ug list just like you are.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF

So what part didn’t you know?

Any agent-phone, Twitter, airport, can request a companion upgrade on a separate PNR. The companion has a T-24 upgrade window, and then is automatically added to airport ug list just like you are.
I didn't know a companion on a different record could get upgraded. I'm shocked to find that someone on a different record would be automatically added to the upgrade list. Everything that's always posted here about records that are linked indicate to me that is a relatively meaningless action to link reservations. I travel 99.5 % alone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.