Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

USA Today: The number of Delta passengers who bought tickets with NRA discount: 13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Today: The number of Delta passengers who bought tickets with NRA discount: 13

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Please reread the post. Pbarnette was clearly not stating an opinion or view about southerners, but making the point that these are stereotypes.
He said the actions of the GA legislature seem to 'reinforce' the stereotype which to me seems like he's saying that it 'confirms' them. If someone responded and said 'Well your comments certainly seem to reinforce the stereotype of the amoral, degenerate big city liberal', I'd think that it'd be pretty clear what that person thinks about him and what his position regarding those stereotypes is. It's a rhetorical trick and it deserves to be called out IMO.

Now I don't know why this is dragged into these aggressive exchanges given that we're all aware that there's two very different views on guns and gun ownership which both have a lot of support in different parts of the population. There was a time when such disagreements could be handled without resorting to the type of dehumanizing rhetoric about 'the other side' that makes it sound like it's 1858 and Civil War is on the horizon.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:35 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Hey, here's a pro tip, if you get mad that people see your elected officials doing dumb stuff and then draw conclusions about the population, stop electing morons.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:29 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
How many of you would be outraged if Georgia gave Delta a tax break for giving a particular political organization a discount?

It blows my mind that political office can punish companies for exercising their first amendment.
You can be kicked off FlyerTalk for exercising your first amendment right, There is freedom of speech but not freedom of consequences.The GA legislature didn't prohibit Delta from voicing their opinion.

Company quits providing discount to questionable organization.
Government cuts off corporate welfare.

Win - Win
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by puddinhead
You can be kicked off FlyerTalk for exercising your first amendment right, There is freedom of speech but not freedom of consequences.The GA legislature didn't prohibit Delta from voicing their opinion.

Win - Win
Um...I suggest you re-read the First Amendment.

Yes, free speech comes with consequences...as imposed by other private citizens who may choose to boycott your business, socially ostracized and ridicule you, or otherwise exercise their own First Amendment rights to publicly and vocally disagree with you.

What the First Amendment very specifically prohibits is the *government* from infringing (or, by extension, imposing consequences) upon free speech, press, religion, petition, etc. The government itself does NOT have First Amendment rights - the First Amendment (and most of the Constitution and all amendments for that matter) serves very specifically to LIMIT the powers and abilities of government, not enable it.

All the same, infringing on DL's future expression of opinion is exactly what the GA legislature chose to do, IMO.*

*I am most certainly not a constitutional lawyer, and there is a complication of DL being a business and not an individual private citizen, but this still seems like a pretty clear case if DL wanted to make an issue out of it. (They won't, of course, because that would be bad for business.)
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee

*I am most certainly not a constitutional lawyer, and there is a complication of DL being a business and not an individual private citizen, but this still seems like a pretty clear case if DL wanted to make an issue out of it. (They won't, of course, because that would be bad for business.)

While I personally think it was one of the most disastrous rulings of the court in modern history, Citizens United essentially established that corporations have the same rights to free speech as individuals:

From: http://www.annenbergclassroom.org/sp...endment-rights

In the 5-4 decision in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, Justice Anthony Kennedy argued in the majority opinion that “we have long since held that corporations are covered by the First Amendment.”

“If the First Amendment has any force,” Kennedy wrote, “it prohibits Congress from fining or jailing citizens, or associations of citizens, for simply engaging in political speech.”
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
While I personally think it was one of the most disastrous rulings of the court in modern history, Citizens United essentially established that corporations have the same rights to free speech as individuals:

From: Annenberg Classroom - Speak Outs - Do corporations have First Amendment rights?

In the 5-4 decision in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, Justice Anthony Kennedy argued in the majority opinion that “we have long since held that corporations are covered by the First Amendment.”

“If the First Amendment has any force,” Kennedy wrote, “it prohibits Congress from fining or jailing citizens, or associations of citizens, for simply engaging in political speech.”
Ahh, I almost forgot about Citizens United.

But then it could even more directly be argued that the prevailing opinion from that case provides reasonably clear precedent upon which one could argue that DL's First Amendment rights were violated.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
He said the actions of the GA legislature seem to 'reinforce' the stereotype which to me seems like he's saying that it 'confirms' them. If someone responded and said 'Well your comments certainly seem to reinforce the stereotype of the amoral, degenerate big city liberal', I'd think that it'd be pretty clear what that person thinks about him and what his position regarding those stereotypes is. It's a rhetorical trick and it deserves to be called out IMO.
That would be true (maybe) if I hadn't posted "I don't believe that stereotype". Nice try though.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Um...I suggest you re-read the First Amendment.

Yes, free speech comes with consequences...as imposed by other private citizens who may choose to boycott your business, socially ostracized and ridicule you, or otherwise exercise their own First Amendment rights to publicly and vocally disagree with you.

What the First Amendment very specifically prohibits is the *government* from infringing (or, by extension, imposing consequences) upon free speech, press, religion, petition, etc. The government itself does NOT have First Amendment rights - the First Amendment (and most of the Constitution and all amendments for that matter) serves very specifically to LIMIT the powers and abilities of government, not enable it.

All the same, infringing on DL's future expression of opinion is exactly what the GA legislature chose to do, IMO.*

When did imposing taxes equate to squelching free speech?

if that holds up we all just got a lot richer!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC
So does arming teenagers with military grade weaponry.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC
Uhm...a squelching of free speech is exactly what the Georgia Legislature said they were going to do. This was essentially a bill of attainder
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:55 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by puddinhead

Win - Win
I hope you're not a lawyer
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by SCSA
Uhm...a squelching of free speech is exactly what the Georgia Legislature said they were going to do. This was essentially a bill of attainder
You have to feel for those GA legislators, caught between DL and the NRA. But they'll find a way to make everyone happy again, perhaps by making a big public show of rescinding the tax break but giving the money back in some lower-profile way.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
When did imposing taxes equate to squelching free speech?

It has nothing to do with taxes per se. It is about a government body taking punitive action against a corporation for exercising first amendment rights.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has nothing to do with taxes per se. It is about a government body taking punitive action against a corporation for exercising first amendment rights.
This. The damning evidence is Lt. Gov. Cagle's statement via twitter that imposing taxes (or removing the tax break) was in direct response to Delta's actions re: NRA discount. That suddenly and clearly connects the two actions to one another.

As a private citizen, how would you (FlyingBeanCounter) feel if the government told you they would not allow you, specifically, to take a mortgage interest deduction (or standard deduction, or EV tax credit, or whatever other element helps you out) unless you deleted an online post you made in which they perceived your support of some organization?

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I lived in ATL for 15 years......I stand by my statement that you cannot get a cheesesteak, pizza, or sub. Bella's in Smyrna is the closest thing I found for Pizza (at double the price of the NE mind you). It took me 10 years to find Bella's and I never did find a steak or sub.

Please don't insult my Pizza snobbery by mentioning Mellow Mushroom!

Yes you can get good food, but not like I grew up with.

Food < NE

Everything else < South
Different strokes, and that's okay.

Cheesesteak: Having worked in Philly for 2 years and going many places other than Pat's/Geno's after my first month there, I will concede the cheesesteak. Woody's in VaHi does comes close, though.
Pizza: I grew up on Fellini's, so that's my go-to for pizza aside from a few surprisingly good tiny neighborhood joints (Mo's on Briarcliff is particularly good).
Subs: Sub Base in Chamblee is a hidden gem. I won't insult you by championing Publix subs. They're solid daily drivers but if you want to take the top down and shift into the low gears, the little banh mi shops on Buford Hwy are excellent in a very different way.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by OHDL1
So...arming a teenager with a Glock 17/19 with a 30 round magazine as opposed to an AR15 with a 30 round magazine
would be ok since it probably wouldn't meet you definition of "military grade" weaponry??
It is a logical fallacy to say that, because you don’t legislate against all threats, that you can’t legislate against any.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.