Northeast Weather Waiver - 3/2-3/3

Reply

Old Feb 28, 18, 3:18 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Northeast Weather Waiver - 3/2-3/3

High winds, rain, and possibly some snow forecast. Affected airports:
Boston, MA (BOS)
Hartford, CT (BDL)
New York Kennedy, NY (JFK)
New York LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
Newark, NJ (EWR)
Newburgh, NY (SWF)
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Providence, RI (PVD)
White Plains, NY (HPN)

----

Now, a "What would you do?" question. I'm scheduled to fly into LGA at 1:30 p.m. on Friday 3/2. Aircraft is CRJ-900. It's a quick weekend trip, so not a whole lot of leeway on dates. There is one earlier flight that day and a few later ones (all direct). Right now I'm thinking either keep things and hope for the best, or try for the 6:00 a.m. flight and try to beat the delays. Thoughts?
tlm_83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 18, 3:42 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM; AA EXP, 1MM
Posts: 3,322
Depends on your risk tolerance. Winds are forecast to reach 20mph sustained by 1pm Friday which, combined with rain/visibility, pretty much assures a pretty hefty ATC program. I'd lean toward trying to get on the 6:00am I think, as much as I hate 6:00am flights.

Last edited by ty97; Feb 28, 18 at 3:49 pm
ty97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 18, 3:46 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 116
I agree with the previous poster on the 6 am. Not sure where you are originating from, but say it was RDU. If Friday schedules are like today, your inbound aircraft is coming in from LGA. So, the 1:30 flight leaves you with at least a double exposure to LGA weather/ATC. The aircraft for the 6 am flight will have likely arrived the evening before (and if it doesn't, you don't have to wake up early).
ajggiant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 18, 3:47 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 2,181
LGA is a disaster on a good weather day and regional jets are the first to get cancelled / delayed so you're taking a pretty significant risk if you keep your flight as is.
ethernal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 18, 4:10 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Thanks for the responses. Looking at seating, the 6:00 a.m. flight is practically empty while the 9:30 a.m. flight (the one I'm scheduled for) is nearly full. Would that factor into cancellation at all, e.g. would they say "This flight is nearly empty, let's just cancel it instead of sending it into the storm."?

Looking at the weather graph for the day, winds are expected to go >50 mph after 2 p.m.
tlm_83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 18, 6:10 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Flight is from MCI to LGA by the way.

I notice that when I go to change flights, the only option it has for other flights is Basic Economy. I'm wondering if I'd lose my carry-on if I did that.
tlm_83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 18, 6:25 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: RDU
Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Posts: 922
Originally Posted by tlm_83 View Post
Flight is from MCI to LGA by the way.

I notice that when I go to change flights, the only option it has for other flights is Basic Economy. I'm wondering if I'd lose my carry-on if I did that.
I wouldn't be surprised if more people move to the earlier flight in an attempt to avoid the worst of the storm.

You will likely have to call to make this change. IME, delta.com really struggles with letting you making proactive Weather Waiver changes.
FlyerWx is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 18, 6:28 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 2,181
Originally Posted by tlm_83 View Post
Flight is from MCI to LGA by the way.

I notice that when I go to change flights, the only option it has for other flights is Basic Economy. I'm wondering if I'd lose my carry-on if I did that.
That's a weird issue. I'd call and have them change it rather than doing it on the website to make sure there are no issues.

Regarding the empty flight - there's a risk of cancellation, but if they cancel the 6 AM they're almost certainly going to ax the 9 AM too.
ethernal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 18, 6:38 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
That's a weird issue. I'd call and have them change it rather than doing it on the website to make sure there are no issues.

Regarding the empty flight - there's a risk of cancellation, but if they cancel the 6 AM they're almost certainly going to ax the 9 AM too.
I messaged them, and they said I would be in the same class of service when I switch flights. I may call to be sure though.
tlm_83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 18, 7:33 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 11,930
RJs are generally the first to get canceled when ATC starts reducing landing/takeoff slots due to weather... good idea to try to go earlier or get on mainline aircraft.
rylan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 18, 7:48 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle
Programs: DL DM; HZ PC; Natl Exec Elite; SPG; Amex Plat
Posts: 321
Urgh, I'm flying JFK-MSY on Friday, departing at 3PM and I can't really leave any earlier due to meetings in the early AM. This is a vacation, so it doesn't hugely matter if I get there a bit later on Friday - what would you do FT? Does it make sense to change to a connecting flight in ATL and hope that I can hop on something from JFK to ATL, instead of one of the three departures to MSY?

I'll be taking all of my meetings remotely anyway, so I can take them at a long layover in ATL and hop down to MSY? Is that too much?
manacit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 18, 9:12 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM; AA EXP, 1MM
Posts: 3,322
JFK-MSY is mainline so I'm less worried than if it was an RJ. I'd expect likely delays, but if you can tolerate getting to MSY a little later, I'd probably stick with what you have instead of adding ATL connection. However, since you have flexibility and there's waiver, worth looking at options at least. I would not change unless I could get confirmed seats on both JFK-ATL and ATL-MSY however. And if you do it, take an earlier JFK-ATL before the winds pick up midday.
manacit likes this.
ty97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 18, 6:47 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 11,930
I'd say its more of a factor of where your 319 is coming from on Fri and how delayed it will be getting to JFK. The wind is likely to be really screwing things up there as they're predicting 30mph+ from the north/northwest during the afternoon.
rylan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 18, 8:49 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: SPG GL, AA GL, Hilton GLD, IHG PLT
Posts: 2,577
I have a 7 am flight on Sat JFK-LAX. Do you think the inbound plane will make it Friday evening? Looks like the inbound will be coming from west coast. I'm hoping by Friday evening, the wind will die down a bit.
adamak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 18, 10:19 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Posts: 4,168
On 2346 LGA-PBI tomorrow. Fingers crossed it gets out at some point.
Do these events (with no snow in the forecast) usually lead to mass cancellations?
apodo77 is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread