Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Northeast Weather Waiver - 3/2-3/3

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I need help. Tomorrow (Sat)'s 7am flight JFK-LAX cancelled. Looked like the inbound flight was cancelled tonight, that's why. We're going to HNL and I don't think there is an other option. What should I do? I'm not Delta elite and tickets are booked on points. Do I just call their regular reservation # and wait?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by adamak
I need help. Tomorrow (Sat)'s 7am flight JFK-LAX cancelled. Looked like the inbound flight was cancelled tonight, that's why. We're going to HNL and I don't think there is an other option. What should I do? I'm not Delta elite and tickets are booked on points. Do I just call their regular reservation # and wait?
Definitely frustrating, but don't panic - you should have options from JFK/LGA/EWR (whatever's easiest for you, assuming there are seats) to ATL, SLC, or SEA, where you can connect to HNL from there. Try delta.com first to see if it allows you to rebook (or it might have already done so automatically) - you could save yourself a step calling if the website decides to cooperate, and it usually offers a fair bit of flexibility for rebooking in case of IRROPS.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:14 pm

DL website has no alternative flights. Phone wait time is over 2 hrs (I'm on hold). I'm on Expert Flyer looking for availability, everything is 0, and even 3/5 is pretty spotty. Which fare class is Comfort + award? Do I need to book into that, or will they allow me to take any empty C+ seats?
We're on spring break, so we only have a week.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Wife and I were auto-rebooked from tonight's (Mar 2) redeye SAN-(JFK)-BOS to the following morning, and arriving in BOS at midnight on Mar 3 from FLL (of all places!). I can't really fault the auto-rebook process considering the lack of options. At least Delta gave me about 6 hours advance notice that tonight's departure is cancelled.

This was to be a "fun" weekend trip, not a "must be there trip." I sent a Twiiter DM to Delta to please "cancel and refund" and please restore the companion cert I used to book the trip in the first place. I don't expect a reply anytime soon.

With the waiver in place, does the cancellation have to happen before my (re)-scheduled departure tomorrow? Delta.com won't let me cancel online.

Update: I called Delta and they answered on the first ring, which is amazing considering the all the storm cancellations. Ticket price goes to refunds department to process, and the companion cert goes back into my wallet.

Last edited by Bowgie; Mar 2, 2018 at 11:06 pm Reason: Update for resolution
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You don't need award inventory to be available due to a cancelation/rebook like this. You just need available seats on the plane for your JFK-HNL ticket.

The problem is, as you saw, things are packed. Looking at EF also, I see nothing for the NYC area to HNL for tomorrow... next availability is Sun LGA-MSP-HNL but C+ is showing 0 and its only Y2 for the LGA-MSP leg. There are open/unassigned C+ seats on both flights however.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:07 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
+1 and I were flying on DL427, the 9:30 p.m. JFK-LAX flight tonight. We got to the airport around 6:45 p.m. and the T4 lobby and TSA PreCheck line was about as empty as I've ever seen it. I went to go find a co-worker who was booked on DL454, the 7:30 p.m. flight to LAX. She was originally on an AA flight earlier this morning that ended up returning to the gate after the three hour tarmac rule and then cancelled, rebooked on B6 that then cancelled, and while we were chatting, 454 cancelled. About five minutes later 427 cancelled. +1 was in the crowded T4 SkyClub at the time and reported that the remaining four JFK-LAX flights for the day cancelled.

I was only going for the weekend, so I'm not going to bother to call DL to do a trip in vain until things calm down a bit. I'll be curious to see if they just refund me once they figure that there's no way to rebook me while retaining my return flight.

With AA and DL basically canning all of their JFK-LAX flights after the afternoon, I wonder how many VIPs going to the Oscars tomorrow were stranded?

Good luck to all who aren't where the need to be this weekend!

[3/3 - Update] Called the Platinum Desk and did a trip in vain. My reservation was referred to the Refunds Desk; I'll check to make sure my RUC is credited back to my account.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 3, 2018 at 4:16 am
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:12 pm

Will they change my return flight for free too? It won't make sense to leave 3 days later for HNL for a 1 week trip.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
In these circumstances I could see them giving a waiver for the return rebooking if you ask/push for it since they can't get you there for a few days. May be harder since you don't have status with DL but I'd still ask. Will probably need a supervisor to give authorization.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:08 pm

Thanks. Been on hold for 4+ hours and nothing. Phone is draining so I may have to hang up soon and call back in the morning.
Sucks. Esp it looks so freaking calm looking outside my window. I simply don't understand why they'll cancel LAX-JFK flight that's supposed to land an hour from now and it's all calm.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bergamini
They ended up delaying BWI>MSP such that I'd miss my connection and the last MSP>MSN flight of the day was "sold out". I found this out about 45 seconds after I checked my bag which gave me the opportunity to spend an hour waiting in line in baggage claim to reclaim it. I booked WN BWI>MKE direct and got a 1-way rental to MSN. That cost $360 + $60 so less than the $458 I'm getting back from Delta for cancelling my K fare. I'm fairly livid because I have wasted today and I called yesterday and pretty much begged for a weather waiver due to forecasts in DC predicting worst winds in 5-6 years and they wouldn't give it to me. I then booked my next two weeks of travel on SWA MKE<>BWI and posted it on Twitter and eviscerated them for the no weather waiver. I am not mad at the series of cancellations and miscues today. I'm mad because it was very predictable yesterday and they wanted to charge me $600 for it rather than doing a weather waiver with an obviously horrendous forecst. WN is not bad, they have Deep Eddy's vodka and my Business Select fare got me a nice bulkhead aisle with very friendly FA's. I really need to rethink this DL relationship. So many avoidable nights in the wrong place in the last year. It's not the best real estate in the sky. It really isn't.
That is really frustrating. I agree, the waiver for DC should have gone up at the same time as the northeast waiver, instead of waiting until it was too late to be useful. My BWI-SLC was really smooth, but had I switched to DCA-SLC (which I was seriously considering once the inbound was airborne) I would have been delayed 15 hours until tomorrow morning. When I was checking my bags at BWI this afternoon there was a guy standing by the bag drop (near the big Delta poster, which at one point almost fell over on him) and seemed quite frustrated while on his cell phone. Wasn't you by any chance?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ty97
Depends on your risk tolerance. Winds are forecast to reach 20mph sustained by 1pm Friday which, combined with rain/visibility, pretty much assures a pretty hefty ATC program. I'd lean toward trying to get on the 6:00am I think, as much as I hate 6:00am flights.
OP here. You guys are the best. I switched to the 6 a.m. flight, and as predicted here it did fill up with like-minded people. We made it to LGA with surprisingly few bumps, just the expected turbulence down low and slightly sporty landing. I was grateful to be there, and even more grateful when I looked at the flight boards and saw nearly all red-- flights canceled all over the place. My original 9:30 a.m. flight from MCI to LGA was delayed, then canceled. Mine was the only flight from Kansas City to make it to LGA today. For a short weekend trip, that meant a lot. Thanks again!
apodo77 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I made it to IAD last night from SLC. We had quite the approach into IAD with some passengers complaining that they were sick when we landed. It was so windy that they had issues moving the jetway and we had to sit on the plane for 30min at the gate until we could get off. It was so windy that the plane was swaying sideways while we where sitting at the gate.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:41 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
It was so windy at JFK last night that they couldn't back the catering trucks up against many of the planes and safely load and unload the carts. I saw caterers wheeling items down jetways and heard announcements being made that the meal service on the flights would be greatly reduced.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I made it to IAD last night from SLC. We had quite the approach into IAD with some passengers complaining that they were sick when we landed. It was so windy that they had issues moving the jetway and we had to sit on the plane for 30min at the gate until we could get off. It was so windy that the plane was swaying sideways while we where sitting at the gate.
Sitting on the tarmac at LGA yesterday the plane was definitely swaying. I have been able to change to a 12:04pm flight direct into PBI today. Fingers crossed all goes well Assuming the terminal will be a zoo today after it was a ghost town yesterday.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:04 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
If I’m rebooked out of BWI and my original flight was out of DCA, are there any chances DL would put me on standby if I show at DCA earlier?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.