New York – Kennedy, NY (JFK)
New York – LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
Newark, NJ (EWR)
Newburgh, NY (SWF)
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Providence, RI (PVD)
White Plains, NY (HPN)

----

Now, a "What would you do?" question. I'm scheduled to fly into LGA at 1:30 p.m. on Friday 3/2. Aircraft is CRJ-900. It's a quick weekend trip, so not a whole lot of leeway on dates. There is one earlier flight that day and a few later ones (all direct). Right now I'm thinking either keep things and hope for the best, or try for the 6:00 a.m. flight and try to beat the delays. Thoughts?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Depends on your risk tolerance. Winds are forecast to reach 20mph sustained by 1pm Friday which, combined with rain/visibility, pretty much assures a pretty hefty ATC program. I'd lean toward trying to get on the 6:00am I think, as much as I hate 6:00am flights.

Last edited by ty97; Feb 28, 2018 at 3:49 pm
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
I agree with the previous poster on the 6 am. Not sure where you are originating from, but say it was RDU. If Friday schedules are like today, your inbound aircraft is coming in from LGA. So, the 1:30 flight leaves you with at least a double exposure to LGA weather/ATC. The aircraft for the 6 am flight will have likely arrived the evening before (and if it doesn't, you don't have to wake up early).
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
LGA is a disaster on a good weather day and regional jets are the first to get cancelled / delayed so you're taking a pretty significant risk if you keep your flight as is.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Looking at seating, the 6:00 a.m. flight is practically empty while the 9:30 a.m. flight (the one I'm scheduled for) is nearly full. Would that factor into cancellation at all, e.g. would they say "This flight is nearly empty, let's just cancel it instead of sending it into the storm."?

Looking at the weather graph for the day, winds are expected to go >50 mph after 2 p.m.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Flight is from MCI to LGA by the way.

I notice that when I go to change flights, the only option it has for other flights is Basic Economy. I'm wondering if I'd lose my carry-on if I did that.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by tlm_83

I notice that when I go to change flights, the only option it has for other flights is Basic Economy. I'm wondering if I'd lose my carry-on if I did that.
I wouldn't be surprised if more people move to the earlier flight in an attempt to avoid the worst of the storm.

You will likely have to call to make this change. IME, delta.com really struggles with letting you making proactive Weather Waiver changes.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by tlm_83

That's a weird issue. I'd call and have them change it rather than doing it on the website to make sure there are no issues.

Regarding the empty flight - there's a risk of cancellation, but if they cancel the 6 AM they're almost certainly going to ax the 9 AM too.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernal
That's a weird issue. I'd call and have them change it rather than doing it on the website to make sure there are no issues.

Regarding the empty flight - there's a risk of cancellation, but if they cancel the 6 AM they're almost certainly going to ax the 9 AM too.
I messaged them, and they said I would be in the same class of service when I switch flights. I may call to be sure though.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
RJs are generally the first to get canceled when ATC starts reducing landing/takeoff slots due to weather... good idea to try to go earlier or get on mainline aircraft.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Urgh, I'm flying JFK-MSY on Friday, departing at 3PM and I can't really leave any earlier due to meetings in the early AM. This is a vacation, so it doesn't hugely matter if I get there a bit later on Friday - what would you do FT? Does it make sense to change to a connecting flight in ATL and hope that I can hop on something from JFK to ATL, instead of one of the three departures to MSY?

I'll be taking all of my meetings remotely anyway, so I can take them at a long layover in ATL and hop down to MSY? Is that too much?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
JFK-MSY is mainline so I'm less worried than if it was an RJ. I'd expect likely delays, but if you can tolerate getting to MSY a little later, I'd probably stick with what you have instead of adding ATL connection. However, since you have flexibility and there's waiver, worth looking at options at least. I would not change unless I could get confirmed seats on both JFK-ATL and ATL-MSY however. And if you do it, take an earlier JFK-ATL before the winds pick up midday.
manacit likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd say its more of a factor of where your 319 is coming from on Fri and how delayed it will be getting to JFK. The wind is likely to be really screwing things up there as they're predicting 30mph+ from the north/northwest during the afternoon.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I have a 7 am flight on Sat JFK-LAX. Do you think the inbound plane will make it Friday evening? Looks like the inbound will be coming from west coast. I'm hoping by Friday evening, the wind will die down a bit.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
On 2346 LGA-PBI tomorrow. Fingers crossed it gets out at some point.
Do these events (with no snow in the forecast) usually lead to mass cancellations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.