Scottish Independence Sympathies?

Old Feb 28, 18, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PE, HHonours Diamond, Turkish Miles & Smiles Gold, Marriott Titanium
Scottish Independence Sympathies?

Delta has posted a weather warning for ďIreland, United Kingdom, Italy, Scotland, and AmsterdamĒ. Last I checked, Scotland hadnít fully devolved from the UK. Is Delta showing Scottish Independence sympathies via their weather warning?
Old Feb 28, 18, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Good catch. It's more likely regrettable American ignorance of world geography.
Old Feb 28, 18, 3:12 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
No, they probably just want to cut down on calls asking, "Does that include Scotland?"
OHDL1, hi55us and beachmouse like this.
Old Feb 28, 18, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No good deed goes unpunished.

Without straying into OMNI territory, it bears mention that China has shut down websites of foreign companies doing business in China which list Taiwan amongst the countries in which they also do business.

Good on DL for making things easier rather than harder for travelers who may not particularly care about local geopolitical issues, but do care about getting to a given airport.
strickerj and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 1, 18, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
I think in this case the text originates from KLM.

In Dutch, "Engeland" - literally England - is almost always used in cases where the speaker actually means to refer to the United Kingdom. (Think of it as similar to English speakers saying "America" when they really mean the USA).

My suspicion is that the original Dutch draft spoke of "Engeland, Ierland, Schotland, Frankrijk, ItaliŽ en Amsterdam", but the translator went with the wrong option for translating "Engeland" from the context.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 1, 18 at 2:13 am
Old Mar 1, 18, 4:20 am

The good folks in Groningen, Limburg etc. will be happy to know that Amsterdam now considers itself its own country
Old Mar 1, 18, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ber2dca View Post
The good folks in Groningen, Limburg etc. will be happy to know that Amsterdam now considers itself its own country
If only KLM flew from Groningen, Limburg, etc!!!
Old Mar 1, 18, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
If only KLM flew from Groningen, Limburg, etc!!!
It's a list of countries and then one city. And in any event - it can be useful info for travelers that the other parts of the Netherlands are also affected by significant weather.
Old Mar 1, 18, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're right, of course, but all KLM passengers would presumably be aware that they are flying to/from/via Amsterdam - and Amsterdam is only affected to the extent that flights to the named countries may be affected.

Compare with Aer Lingus, for example, who haven't bothered to include Cork [which is closed until Saturday morning at the earliest] on their flight disruptions page.
Old Mar 1, 18, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PE, HHonours Diamond, Turkish Miles & Smiles Gold, Marriott Titanium
Well I've been proud of NCL for staying open. It is more of a matter of getting to the airport that is proving to be the issue.
Old Mar 1, 18, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwncl View Post
Well I've been proud of NCL for staying open. It is more of a matter of getting to the airport that is proving to be the issue.
Emma hasn't made it up to Toon yet

Safe travels!
Old Mar 1, 18, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What about Northern Ireland? Or Wales, but I don't think DL goes there.
Old Mar 1, 18, 10:14 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
I think in this case the text originates from KLM.

In Dutch, "Engeland" - literally England - is almost always used in cases where the speaker actually means to refer to the United Kingdom. (Think of it as similar to English speakers saying "America" when they really mean the USA).

My suspicion is that the original Dutch draft spoke of "Engeland, Ierland, Schotland, Frankrijk, ItaliŽ en Amsterdam", but the translator went with the wrong option for translating "Engeland" from the context.
Or someone who says "Holland" when they mean the Netherlands. My friend from Arnhem gets very heated about that
Old Mar 1, 18, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
What about Northern Ireland? Or Wales, but I don't think DL goes there.
Northern Ireland can be included as part of the island of Ireland or the United Kingdom

Wales in in the UK.
Old Mar 1, 18, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
Or someone who says "Holland" when they mean the Netherlands. My friend from Arnhem gets very heated about that
Touchť
TheMadBrewer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: