Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Strange experience platinum clearing over diamond

Old Feb 25, 18, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist

I had something strange happen on a flight Friday - myself and SO were on the same reservation. She is a diamond medallion and I'm a platinum - somehow I was showing above her on the UG list and cleared before her on both flights. We were on paid tickets and ticketed in the same class and both have reserve cards.

Anyone have any idea how I was clearing before her?

Thanks
Old Feb 25, 18, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkoechel View Post
I had something strange happen on a flight Friday - myself and SO were on the same reservation. She is a diamond medallion and I'm a platinum - somehow I was showing above her on the UG list and cleared before her on both flights. We were on paid tickets and ticketed in the same class and both have reserve cards.

Thanks
Is your name before SO alphabetically? You are on same priority given same PNR, reserve card and ticketing time. Your Platinum status was irrelevant; a general member would have had the same result. It should be alphabetical.
Old Feb 25, 18, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Is your name before SO alphabetically? You are on same priority given same PNR, reserve card and ticketing time. Your Platinum status was irrelevant a general member would have had the same result.. It should be alphabetical.
Ah yes, that makes sense - we'll have to split the PNR going forward for longer flights, etc.

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 18, 8:43 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Don't split the PNR...you will be down at PM status on the upgrade list. Stay on the same PNR so you can enjoy being at DM status with your SO.(even if you are above her)
Old Feb 25, 18, 8:45 am

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
OP when you say that she cleared before you, what do you mean? One after the other at the airport? Or a day or more before you?

You should have been cleared at essentially the same time.
Old Feb 25, 18, 9:35 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
I believe if you check-in separately, one person can be cleared for an upgrade without the other. While if you check-in together, it's an all or none situation. As noted above, if you actually split the PNR, each will be upgraded at their own priority level rather than the highest priority level of the two.

Last edited by LBJ; Feb 25, 18 at 9:41 am
Old Feb 25, 18, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat., SPG Plat., IHG Spire Elite/Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by rkoechel View Post

Thanks
Regardless of you getting the upgrade, as a gentleman, you should ALWAYS give her your seat whenever this happens! As the saying goes..."Happy wife (SO in your case!)...Happy life!"
jonathanbak likes this.
Old Feb 25, 18, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by audidudi View Post
Regardless of you getting the upgrade, as a gentleman, you should ALWAYS give her your seat whenever this happens! As the saying goes..."Happy wife (SO in your case!)...Happy life!"
Good to know you think misogyny is ok if it comes in the form of women needing special accommodations.
sdadept, HarryLime and jinglish like this.

Last edited by KingBraden; Feb 26, 18 at 8:25 am Reason: My inability to spell or use spellcheck
Old Feb 25, 18, 11:41 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat., SPG Plat., IHG Spire Elite/Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by KingBraden View Post
Good to know you think mysogny is ok if it comes in the form of women needing special accommodations.
Well if you had been brought up properly, then you would know that it's the right thing to do! Obviously you weren't!
Old Feb 25, 18, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by KingBraden View Post
Good to know you think mysogny is ok if it comes in the form of women needing special accommodations.
Please help me understand how this is mysogny. The world needs more men being gentlemen who treat women with the respect they deserve.
Old Feb 25, 18, 11:55 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
What is a PNR? I need a codebook for these forums - more acronyms than the military.

As far as being chivalrous, my mom (and her generation) expects a man to open the car door for her, which I of course do. And I would gladly hand over the upgrade. But I also have held doors open for younger women on a date, and gotten the "What, do I look helpless to you?" comment. And as a college professor, I don't even bother for the millennials. Young women either look at you like you're a perv, or don't even notice they have walked through a doorway because they never look up from their cell phones. In today's world, you're dammed if you do, dammed if you don't
fotographer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 18, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by OroroT View Post
What is a PNR? I need a codebook for these forums - more acronyms than the military.
It stands for Passenger Name Record. It's the industry term for a reservation.
OroroT and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 25, 18, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
I believe if you check-in separately, one person can be cleared for an upgrade without the other. While if you check-in together, it's an all or none situation. As noted above, if you actually split the PNR, each will be upgraded at their own priority level rather than the highest priority level of the two.

That makes sense, but would not explain it if they both cleared in advance of check in.
Old Feb 25, 18, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by audidudi View Post
To each their own, but this FT mantra has always bothered me, too. Mrs. Lee is quite happy to see me use my own upgrades. She is also happy to buy her own FC/biz tickets whenever she actually wants to sit up front (or more likely, we discuss the trip as adults and decide what we would like to do).
Old Feb 25, 18, 5:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by NC_Nole View Post

Please help me understand how this is mysogny. The world needs more men being gentlemen who treat women with the respect they deserve.
Having different expectations for men and women isn't misogyny in your mind? The world may need more people to treat each other with respect, it does not need women to be specifically coddled.

Last edited by KingBraden; Feb 26, 18 at 8:26 am Reason: My inability to spell or use spellcheck

Search this Thread
Search Engine: