Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Strange experience platinum clearing over diamond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange experience platinum clearing over diamond

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You have always been able to upgrade a companion on separate reservation. All that changed is if on the same PNR, then the companion gets the higher status and can upgrade at the window. Before, they caused everyone to drop to lowest status, including none. However nothing changed for companions on separate PNR. They can only be done at airport DoD..
I'm glad to know that is confirmed. When they announced the new companion policy of clearing at the higher level, there was a lot of speculation on FT that this mean that you had to be on the same pnr for any companion upgrade to clear. I also thought, but can't find anything to prove it, that DL had indicated as such.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I'm glad to know that is confirmed. When they announced the new companion policy of clearing at the higher level, there was a lot of speculation on FT that this mean that you had to be on the same pnr for any companion upgrade to clear. I also thought, but can't find anything to prove it, that DL had indicated as such.
No change for companions on separate PNR's as long as they are on revenue tickets. They can be added as a companion upgrade and will clear after all other Medallions. If they are on award or PWM tickets, they must be on the same PNR to clear (and will clear at the same priority level as the Medallion).
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LBJ
No change for companions on separate PNR's as long as they are on revenue tickets. They can be added as a companion upgrade and will clear after all other Medallions. If they are on award or PWM tickets, they must be on the same PNR to clear (and will clear at the same priority level as the Medallion).
And I believe the companion must be a medallion member for award UG’s to clear for both you and the companion. Otherwise the system lists you and the companion as “Not UG eligible”
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Post two is correct. If on same PNR it goes alphabetically I believe by last name then first name. Same happened to me when my wife was gloating that she as a SM got it before me a DM.
However, if two passengers are on the same PNR, they should be upgraded together or not at all. If only one upgrade seat is available, it's supposed to go to the next person on the list.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, if two passengers are on the same PNR, they should be upgraded together or not at all. If only one upgrade seat is available, it's supposed to go to the next person on the list.
In general yes. I’ve had two gate agents proactively page me and ask. In both cases we had no shows so we both got the UG.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by yytleisure
SEXISM
prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.
SEXUAL DISCRIMINATION
discrimination in employment and opportunity against a person (typically a woman) on grounds of sex.
MISOGYNY
dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.

Making a decision based solely on someone being "da wife", is actually the very definition of sexism. I'd hardly call this example something to get excited over, but treating someone differently based on sex, whether it is a positive, negative or neither for the "victim", is sexist. A bit of a stretch for misogyny, but again, you could say singling out a woman as "needing" the seat more to be kept happy is a form of misogyny, particularly if the man is deciding and dictating the plan.
Originally Posted by acrophobia

This is getting way too OT, but I just can’t help myself from venturing a guess that you are not (yet) a parent, and therefore have not experienced how vastly more demanding motherhood is than fatherhood. Moms are deserving of a break. It has nothing to with “needing” anything more all else being equal, it is simply a function of how much more they have to put into their young. From the gestation process to the birthing process to breastfeeding to acting as the first line of emotional defense through puberty... sorry it ain’t even close.

As a married woman without children, I will admit to being rendered a bit speechless at the sheer number of assumptions and generalizations made in the second quote here. I agree wholeheartedly with the first quote. Decisions should be made together, and with everything taken into account, not just oh the little woman needs it since she has such a tough road and the big strong man should give it to her. Geez.

For example, I am the the one who travels, and the one with status (Diamond). I would give the upgrade to my spouse as he does not travel much and would see it as a treat, plus is a good bit bigger than I physically and can benefit from the room.

However, that said, if someone opens a door or gestures to me to go first out of an elevator, I graciously go and say thank you. If my husband does something nice for me because he loves me, I would do the same. I also open a door and hold it for the person behind me regardless of their gender. Please don't assume all marriages are based either male or female as primary decisions, or confuse common courtesy with sexism/misogyny.

Back to the original poster, I would wait until T-24 and see who is higher on the list. When that happens, call in and have the CSR switch your seats so the higher in the list person has the aisle and the lower has the middle. A gate agent could do that for you too.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree that's the way it should work, but I recall several reports here of people getting upgraded separately if they check-in separately when on the same PNR (rather than checking in both pax together at the same time).
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by kitkat77
Please don't assume all marriages are based either male or female as primary decisions, or confuse common courtesy with sexism/misogyny.
+1

And to get back on topic, the clear solution to all this is of course WFBF.

Ok, really...figuring out who is higher on the UG list and then making sure Y seat assignments are where you want is the real answer. Or just tell the GA ahead of time that if only one of you is getting an UG, please give it to the person in the middle seat. GAs are usually happy to comply with those types of requests.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:41 pm

What does WFBF mean?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
What does WFBF mean?
Want First (Class) Buy First(Class)!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:47 pm

...not to mentioned the possibility that the OP is also a woman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.