Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Strange experience platinum clearing over diamond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange experience platinum clearing over diamond

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
That makes sense, but would not explain it if they both cleared in advance of check in.
Since he said he could see their position on the upgrade list, this implies the upgrade happened after check-in (since you can't see your position prior to check-in).
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
Since he said he could see their position on the upgrade list, this implies the upgrade happened after check-in (since you can't see your position prior to check-in).
right, good point.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This seems to be an ongoing strange issue with companions that have status... for some reason they get placed higher than the primary/higher status pax. Doesn't seem to matter with last name either, as we've seen reports of last name both alphabetically before and after being ahead.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by KingBraden
Having different expectations for men and women isn't mysogny in your mind? The world may need more people to treat each other with respect, it does not need women to be specifically coddled.
There is a big difference between “sexism” and “misogyny.” At best you can make a case for the former here (although I don’t think it is an example
of either).
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Post two is correct. If on same PNR it goes alphabetically I believe by last name then first name. Same happened to me when my wife was gloating that she as a SM got it before me a DM.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
TBH our concern was more about picking seats in economy. We like to put whoever has the best chance of getting upgraded in the middle seat while the other takes the aisle...that way we are next to each other if neither is upgraded and if only one person is upgraded at the gate then one of us is in the aisle in coach and not stuck in a middle seat.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rkoechel
TBH our concern was more about picking seats in economy. We like to put whoever has the best chance of getting upgraded in the middle seat while the other takes the aisle...that way we are next to each other if neither is upgraded and if only one person is upgraded at the gate then one of us is in the aisle in coach and not stuck in a middle seat.
Since you're higher on the upgrade list, put yourself in the middle seat.
Also recommend not splitting PNRs as your piggybacking as a DM and are higher up the chain.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
slightly OT: Did you know that, according to this page on DL.com, you can still add general members that are not on the same PNR as a companion for an upgrade, and that they can clear at T-24? I thought that when the new upgrade policies came out a year or so ago that they removed this option and that both pax had to be on the same PNR? This page also states that general members are not eligible for C+ companion upgrades while traveling with a medallion at anytime. Is this true? A non-medallion can get a first class upgrade but not a C+ upgrade?

Traveling with one companion:
  • If you and one companion are in the same reservation, upgrades to domestic Delta One, First Class and Delta Comfort+ work the same way: your upgrades, if available, will clear based on the Status of the higher-tiered Member. This applies to companions who are Medallion Members themselves as well as General Members who do not have Medallion Status and partner airline elite members.
  • If you and your companion are in different reservations, upgrades to First Class and Delta Comfort+ work a little differently:
    • For domestic Delta One and First Class, your upgrades will clear based on your individual Member Status and confirmation windows, if available. For example, if Platinum and Silver Medallion Members are traveling together, the Platinum Medallion Member will clear at the Platinum window and the Silver Medallion Member will clear at the Silver window. If your companion is a General Member who does not have Medallion Status, their upgrade will clear no sooner than 24 hours prior to departure.
    • For Delta Comfort+, General SkyMiles Members are not eligible for Complimentary Upgrades. The Medallion Member will clear for their upgrade at their respective window.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:12 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by audidudi
Well if you had been brought up properly, then you would know that it's the right thing to do! Obviously you weren't!
Not having been brought up in the 1800s, my fiancee and I are happy to share our UGs, often going to whoever has been flying the least or is having a particularly bad day. In OP's example, his wife appears to fly more, and as a DM is probably upgraded more than OP.

In any event, I can't think of any reason why someone's gender is a factor into which part of a couple takes an UG.
gooselee and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by acrophobia

There is a big difference between “sexism” and “misogyny.” At best you can make a case for the former here (although I don’t think it is an example
of either).
SEXISM
prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.
SEXUAL DISCRIMINATION
discrimination in employment and opportunity against a person (typically a woman) on grounds of sex.
MISOGYNY
dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.

Making a decision based solely on someone being "da wife", is actually the very definition of sexism. I'd hardly call this example something to get excited over, but treating someone differently based on sex, whether it is a positive, negative or neither for the "victim", is sexist. A bit of a stretch for misogyny, but again, you could say singling out a woman as "needing" the seat more to be kept happy is a form of misogyny, particularly if the man is deciding and dictating the plan.
jinglish likes this.

Last edited by yytleisure; Feb 26, 2018 at 11:18 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:23 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, that's happened to me as well, I'm the DM, my partner PM cleared first though I'm first in terms of last name in alphabetical order, his first name is before mine. We were in the same PNR (reservation) with the same class of service and both had the AMEX waiver already (we've canned our DL AMEX since the $250k is ridiculous!). He ended up in FC, I was left in C+ but all is fine.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by yytleisure
SEXISM
prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.
SEXUAL DISCRIMINATION
discrimination in employment and opportunity against a person (typically a woman) on grounds of sex.
MISOGYNY
dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.

Making a decision based solely on someone being "da wife", is actually the very definition of sexism. I'd hardly call this example something to get excited over, but treating someone differently based on sex, whether it is a positive, negative or neither for the "victim", is sexist. A bit of a stretch for misogyny, but again, you could say singling out a woman as "needing" the seat more to be kept happy is a form of misogyny, particularly if the man is deciding and dictating the plan.
This is getting way too OT, but I just can’t help myself from venturing a guess that you are not (yet) a parent, and therefore have not experienced how vastly more demanding motherhood is than fatherhood. Moms are deserving of a break. It has nothing to with “needing” anything more all else being equal, it is simply a function of how much more they have to put into their young. From the gestation process to the birthing process to breastfeeding to acting as the first line of emotional defense through puberty... sorry it ain’t even close.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by KingBraden
Good to know you think misogyny is ok if it comes in the form of women needing special accommodations.
Well, as long as divorce and alimony laws seem to favor women, I'll stick to the principle of "Happy Wife, Happy Life". Seems like the more financially sane principle to go by.

Fortunately when it comes to upgrades, Mrs. ATOBTTR has always told me to keep the UG if I get one and she doesn't as I'm 6'4 and she's just barely over 5 feet tall and fits comfortably even in main cabin seat. Though this year we're both PMs so even if we're on separate tickets, we'll still be clearing pretty close to each other.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
slightly OT: Did you know that, according to this page on DL.com, you can still add general members that are not on the same PNR as a companion for an upgrade, and that they can clear at T-24? I thought that when the new upgrade policies came out a year or so ago that they removed this option and that both pax had to be on the same PNR? This page also states that general members are not eligible for C+ companion upgrades while traveling with a medallion at anytime. Is this true? A non-medallion can get a first class upgrade but not a C+ upgrade?

Traveling with one companion:
  • If you and one companion are in the same reservation, upgrades to domestic Delta One, First Class and Delta Comfort+ work the same way: your upgrades, if available, will clear based on the Status of the higher-tiered Member. This applies to companions who are Medallion Members themselves as well as General Members who do not have Medallion Status and partner airline elite members.
  • If you and your companion are in different reservations, upgrades to First Class and Delta Comfort+ work a little differently:
    • For domestic Delta One and First Class, your upgrades will clear based on your individual Member Status and confirmation windows, if available. For example, if Platinum and Silver Medallion Members are traveling together, the Platinum Medallion Member will clear at the Platinum window and the Silver Medallion Member will clear at the Silver window. If your companion is a General Member who does not have Medallion Status, their upgrade will clear no sooner than 24 hours prior to departure.
    • For Delta Comfort+, General SkyMiles Members are not eligible for Complimentary Upgrades. The Medallion Member will clear for their upgrade at their respective window.

You have always been able to upgrade a companion on separate reservation. All that changed is if on the same PNR, then the companion gets the higher status and can upgrade at the window. Before, they caused everyone to drop to lowest status, including none. However nothing changed for companions on separate PNR. They can only be done at airport DoD.

The FC, but not C+ has been a long known issue. DL was supposed to fix that. However I'm not sure they have.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You have always been able to upgrade a companion on separate reservation. All that changed is if on the same PNR, then the companion gets the higher status and can upgrade at the window. Before, they caused everyone to drop to lowest status, including none. However nothing changed for companions on separate PNR. They can only be done at airport DoD.

The FC, but not C+ has been a long known issue. DL was supposed to fix that. However I'm not sure they have.
I believe they have addressed this and companions can be upgraded to C+ now. They just haven't updated the text on the website. Also, while they now allow non-status companions to be upgraded when on award, PWM, or companion cert tickets, it's only permitted when they are on the same PNR as the Medallion member (for companion certs, it's already a condition of the companion cert). If they are on a separate PNR, non-status pax must be flying on a revenue ticket to be eligible for companion upgrades to C+/F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.