Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta flight HNL > SLC delayed 4 hours (notified 24 hours in advance)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond

our flight is tonight. We got the notice yesterday.
any idea why this might happen?

dl2768 supposed to leave at 10:00p and now 2:05am

we noticed a ton of people jumped to other flights and now noticed they aren’t selling the flight anymore. I guess we are worried about them canceling the flight completely?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
How did you know a ton of people moved to other flights?

Usually a delay well in advance is due to operations. Possibly crew. I don't think it makes the flight too much more likely to be canceled.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A delay of 4 hours announced a full 24 hours prior to scheduled departure makes it no more or less likely that the flight will ultimately be cancelled. In the simplest terms, at T-24, it is far easier operationally to cancel the flight entirely than to delay it and then cancel it. Rolling delays leading to cancellation would be more likely to occur when flights are delayed at the last minute.

Having said that, with a 4-hour delay, you are entitled to a reroute or refund. Unless SLC is your final destination, why not look at whether there are other and better opportunities, especially if cheaper than what you've got now?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:10 pm

Looks like the 4 hour delay turned into a 15 hour delay...
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Where are you seeing a 15hr delay?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

How did you know a ton of people moved to other flights?

Usually a delay well in advance is due to operations. Possibly crew. I don't think it makes the flight too much more likely to be canceled.

the flight was was full but now there are lots of seats open to move around at. We also got upgraded to comfort where there was no room originally
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
A delay of 4 hours announced a full 24 hours prior to scheduled departure makes it no more or less likely that the flight will ultimately be cancelled. In the simplest terms, at T-24, it is far easier operationally to cancel the flight entirely than to delay it and then cancel it. Rolling delays leading to cancellation would be more likely to occur when flights are delayed at the last minute.

Having said that, with a 4-hour delay, you are entitled to a reroute or refund. Unless SLC is your final destination, why not look at whether there are other and better opportunities, especially if cheaper than what you've got now?
Thanks for the reply! That makes use feel a little better.

we Berlin is our final destination but when i searched for alternative flights there really wasn’t any. We have a layover in AMS then on to Berlin.

Sadly we can’t take an earlier flight today as we have some place to be till 7pm
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Where are you seeing a 15hr delay?
yea I’d like to know too? I still see 4 hour delay?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
It is Friday's DL 2768 which took the 15 hour delay.... Scheduled to depart Friday 10 pm, actual departure Saturday 1:35 pm.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
It is Friday's DL 2768 which took the 15 hour delay.... Scheduled to depart Friday 10 pm, actual departure Saturday 1:35 pm.

got it thanks! Hope that doesn’t happen to tonight’s flight.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:45 pm

My guess - crew rest requirements are delaying today's DL 2768, since the aircraft planned to be used for today's flight is already in HNL.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
My guess - crew rest requirements are delaying today's DL 2768, since the aircraft planned to be used for today's flight is already in HNL.
this makes sense. I see the plane is on the ground for an hour now. Any idea what the min rest time is for the crew?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by cboy

this makes sense. I see the plane is on the ground for an hour now. Any idea what the min rest time is for the crew?
Lots of possibilities, but one is that yesterday's 15 hour delay threw the crew schedules off, and because of that the crew who flew SLC-HNL today (arriving about 3pm) are the same crew that has to take the plane back to SLC tonight. The timing (24 hours notice of the delay of your flight - about the time that yesterday's 15 hour delay would have become known to scheduling) makes this scenario make some sense. Crew rest rules are very complex and take into account the last several days of duty for the particular crew.
cboy likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:24 pm

Yes, sorry. Was looking at yesterday's flight accidentally.
cboy likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It could have been crew as mnbp notes. It could have been aircraft availability. Checking just one date that is an A330. I am unsure of the rotation xxx-yyy-SLC-HNL that brings it to Hawaii for the HNL-SLC segment. Unfortunate but not without precedent or logic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.