Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JFK 1908 11/15/2020 SDQ - JFK - EWR Finally JFK

Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat

We were headed to JFK, storms hit NYC told we would be landing in EWR because JFK had a curfew (didn't know this), did some loops around Atlantic City, ended up at JFK after the pilot said we were short on fuel.

Pretty interesting and bumpy the slast 1/4 of the flight.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
We were headed to JFK, storms hit NYC told we would be landing in EWR because JFK had a curfew (didn't know this), did some loops around Atlantic City, ended up at JFK after the pilot said we were short on fuel.

Pretty interesting and bumpy the slast 1/4 of the flight.
There's no curfew I'm aware of. Also the flight was only 30 minutes late. I'm not sure the issue with JFK
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
If you'd ended up at EWR, wonder if they'd just send everyone through immigration at EWR and give ground transportation to anyone who still cared/needed to go to JFK instead.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
JFK definitely does NOT have a curfew. Not sure why the pilot would say that. Maybe he meant JFK was "closed for arrivals" because of the imminent wx, but that isn't the same thing.
JFK is where you end up when you aren't gonna make curfew at LGA. But even LGA curfew is summer-only ...

glad you un-diverted though!
kthomas, strickerj and Spiff like this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's no curfew I'm aware of. Also the flight was only 30 minutes late. I'm not sure the issue with JFK
Yeah there's no curfew at JFK. They have flights all night.
Spiff likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

I suspect it was the weather and not a curfew as there was a tornado watch, but the pilot said curfew. Even after we landed he said they fit us in just before the curfew.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

We were on course to be 30 minutes early, left the gate in SDQ 15 minutes early, and were in the sky, not even 5 minutes later.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
We were on course to be 30 minutes early, left the gate in SDQ 15 minutes early, and were in the sky, not even 5 minutes later.
SpaceX launch at 729pm. Airspace flight restrictions would've been in place.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:42 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Yesterday (11/15/20) I was on a flight out of LAS scheduled to arrive at 8:15 pm [4:01 duration, nice tailwinds], but landed at 8:45 pm, re-route due to storms at JFK. By 9 pm (per news broadcasts) all weather advisories were lifted.
In addition to passenger planes, UPS, DHL and FedEx have flights all day and night, hence no curfew at JFK.
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

SpaceX launch at 729pm. Airspace flight restrictions would've been in place.
SDQ is an hour ahead so a 7pm take-off would have been 6 pm EST.

We were actually told we may be able to see the Space X launch from the left side of the plane, I had moved from 2D to 1A to try and see it, but then we were told it was successful and too far away to see. But I do recall an orange dot in the distance at what appeared to be ground level so that may have been the launch.
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

SDQ is an hour ahead so a 7pm take-off would have been 6 pm EST.

We were actually told we may be able to see the Space X launch from the left side of the plane, I had moved from 2D to 1A to try and see it, but then we were told it was successful and too far away to see. But I do recall an orange dot in the distance at what appeared to be ground level so that may have been the launch.
729pm Eastern.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

729pm Eastern.
Yup, plane took off at 6PM EST is what I meant.

We were airborne off the coast of Florida around 7:29 when the pilot said we should be able to see the launch. Kind of sad I couldn't see it but the bright orange dot, I sort of have a feeling it may have been it.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Kind of sad I couldn't see it but the bright orange dot, I sort of have a feeling it may have been it.
Yeah that pretty much sounds just like it, lol.

FWIW I was standing about 20 miles south on the beach and really it wasn't much more than a bright orange dot there.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Then I did see it from 30,000 up! It literally looked like an orange pixel on a black screen for about 10 seconds. so small my cell phone couldn't even record it
kthomas likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.