Wiki Posts
Search

How to Tell if RUC Applied

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
How to Tell if RUC Applied

I had a phone agent add RUCs to an upcoming reservation. There was not inventory available (what a shock ), so it will move me higher on the upgrade list. Is there a way to tell online if the agent actually added the certificate? In the past, an extra seat assignment map would come up with the reservation (two seat assignment maps for each leg). I don't see that on my reservation, which could mean they fixed the website bug, or could mean the agent didn't apply the RUCs after all.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The pragmatic answer is to call, call again, and call yet again. Rinse and repeat.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The pragmatic answer is to call, call again, and call yet again. Rinse and repeat.
That's the fallback plan, but I was hoping there might be an easy way to see online that it has been added. For Delta, I suppose that's hoping for too much.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
IME, the only sure way to tell if it was applied properly is if you wind up with a boarding pass with a FC seat assignment and RY booking class on it.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:37 pm

Whenever I've applied an RUC, it says "Upgrade Waitlisted" on the My Trips screen where it otherwise would say "Manage Complimentary Upgrades."

Or am I misunderstanding the question?

Now, as to whether the agent properly applied the RUC, that's something I have no idea about . . .
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Is there a way to tell online if the agent actually added the certificate? In the past, an extra seat assignment map would come up with the reservation (two seat assignment maps for each leg). I don't see that on my reservation, which could mean they fixed the website bug, or could mean the agent didn't apply the RUCs after all.
No, there is no way for a customer to tell if a cert has been applied correctly. And it's not like DL is holding back a "cool" upgrade certificate validation tool from customers - their own employees don't have any sort of validation tool either, as far as I know.

There are only two processes that validates waitlisted certificates, as far as I can tell.
  1. If upgrade inventory becomes available, the upgrade process validates the certificate upgrade request. If the original agent did each of the manual steps to waitlist the certificate correctly, the flight segment will be upgraded. If there is any discrepancy, your upgrade request will be silently skipped (with no notice to you or anyone).
  2. When you do OLCI, another ticket validation process validates upgrade certificates. If the original agent did each of the manual steps to waitlist the certificate correctly, you will be added to the upgrade standby list at the "certificate" upgrade priority instead of your usual status level. You can only tell by "feel" whether you are on the upgrade standby list at the right priority (after OLCI, a DL agent should be able to see whether you are on the upgrade list at the higher "certificate" priority). Generally, with certificates being relatively rare (compared to complimentary upgrade requests), a certificate upgrade request should put you at or near the top of the upgrade list.
The manual and error prone business process that supports certificates is a source of ongoing frustration for many here on FT - I certainly find this process frustrating!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I have an RUC waitlisted for the 2nd leg of a 3 trip init on Wednesday. The three legs each show as 'MANAGE COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADES' and there is another leg listed that is 'UPGRADE WAITLISTED'. I cannot access the UPGRADE WAITLISTED seating which shows seats as 'NOT ASSIGNED'.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
These RUCs really frustrate me--I booked a trip in April on the DCA-LAX 757, which currently has 14 unoccupied seats in F, and DL had no upgrade availability. Shame on DL.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
These RUCs really frustrate me--I booked a trip in April on the DCA-LAX 757, which currently has 14 unoccupied seats in F, and DL had no upgrade availability. Shame on DL.
On a business day flying at prime business travel hours or on at off peak hours on a weekend? Delta knows they have a pretty good chance of selling out first in the former case...
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ND76
DL can sell those seats easily, especially if it’s on a business travel day as there is lots of premium traffic between those two cities. Now if the flight where two weeks out and no space had been realesed than I would start to get upset.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mnbp
  1. If upgrade inventory becomes available, the upgrade process validates the certificate upgrade request. If the original agent did each of the manual steps to waitlist the certificate correctly, the flight segment will be upgraded. If there is any discrepancy, your upgrade request will be silently skipped (with no notice to you or anyone).
The manual and error prone business process that supports certificates is a source of ongoing frustration for many here on FT - I certainly find this process frustrating!
A little on this, I currently have an award travel from ATL-LAX in april, I am a Diamond Medallion and requested the twitter desk to apply a RUC to my ATL-LAX flight, which has lie flats and whatnot. The agent applied the RUC and waitlisted me, because there is no availability. After checking the rules I saw that RUCs cannot be applied to award travel, but it shows WAITLISTED on my reservation. In this case, the system will find out the discrepancy and silently skip me, however I still keep my DM upgrade priority? Should I risk not saying anything and let them deal with this or am I damaging my chances of a DM comp upgrade due to system malfunction? Especially if this RUC goes to the airport upg list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.