Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Your choice for dinner is Nothing...or...the Nothing. Catering Fail

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your choice for dinner is Nothing...or...the Nothing. Catering Fail

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
This was paid F. So far this year of the 6 first class segments I have flown, 5 were paid at booking or before OLCI only one was medallion upgrade. 3 of the 6 have had sub-standard service. See my earlier thread about poor service and NYC crews. But irrelevant, a confirmed seat in first should mean a confirmed meal if it is a meal flight.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
This has happened to me twice ex-AUS at breakfast. Very annoying to satisfy my hunger with a Biscoff on a 3 hour flight... They (FA) proactively threw 5K miles at me with their little iPad-y device.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by vincentharris

out of 8 flights this year so far on DL 5 have had non operational WiFi. Still waiting for my voucher.......
With all the reported interruptions and failures on regular WiFi and now the "upgraded" 2Ku WiFi, DL should be awarding millions of miles or thousands of vouchers every day! I have yet to be awarded any, but I haven't pursued it as I hoped DL would do the right thing and take care of this! LOL!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by vincentharris

out of 8 flights this year so far on DL 5 have had non operational WiFi. Still waiting for my voucher.......
Have had two flights with non-operational Wifi this year. One, the FA processed compensation for everyone in F automatically on her tablet before we landed without anyone even asking. On the second one (JFK-CUN), I wrote in to politely complain about it and DL e-mailed me back and said to contact Gogo about it. I called in and they offered a $75 voucher or 5,000 miles.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ethernal
I'd take WiFI being unavailable as a much bigger deal (although sadly a more common occurance) - if you're planning on having it and are not able to use it, could have some significant costs from a work productivity perspective. Food is just food.. you won't die from a couple of hours without it.
I just flew back from LGA to ATL last night and WiFi was broken which was only advertised until after we'd already taken off and on our way to crossing over 10,000 feet. Definitely an inconvenience since I was planning on connecting and doing some work but I didn't see anybody dying from the lack of WiFi.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I am very surprised that the FA did not proactively go around the entire F cabin and offer compensation via the handheld device, given that this is very unusual and entirely Delta's fault.

A few years ago, on a short (<1200 mile) flight, and they failed to load breakfast for F. I got 5K miles, and I was on a comp upgrade.
Earlier this year, I was in J on a D1 TCON flight via RUC, and they failed to load desert on a red-eye flight. I got 15K miles.
Non-functioning power outlet in EC on a TPAC, 5K miles.
All were proactively offered and unsolicited. I call in to DL sometimes when a mechanical delay affects me big time, but I would not call in over these sorts of thing.
I have gotten a few other 5K that I think were unsolicited as well, I don't remember the details but probably for things like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by hotshot265
Your choice for dinner is Nothing...or...the Nothing
At least you had a choice between two options, "nothing" or "the nothing", right? Did you still have a choice when they made it to your row?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
No they ran out of the Nothing...because the FA didn't follow FEBO...the whole reason I snagged 4B on flt. 499 LOL. When she started making her way up the cabin starting at the front I was kicking myself for switching from 2B.
LoganFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I am very surprised that the FA did not proactively go around the entire F cabin and offer compensation via the handheld device, given that this is very unusual and entirely Delta's fault.

A few years ago, on a short (<1200 mile) flight, and they failed to load breakfast for F. I got 5K miles, and I was on a comp upgrade.
Earlier this year, I was in J on a D1 TCON flight via RUC, and they failed to load desert on a red-eye flight. I got 15K miles.
Non-functioning power outlet in EC on a TPAC, 5K miles.
All were proactively offered and unsolicited. I call in to DL sometimes when a mechanical delay affects me big time, but I would not call in over these sorts of thing.
I have gotten a few other 5K that I think were unsolicited as well, I don't remember the details but probably for things like this.
Nothing proactive at all from DL...I did send in a professional and to the point complaint this morning while waiting for my delayed flight out of MSP. I also struck a conversation with a red coat about the subject and he was genuinely concerned, apologized and took my record locator number down.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by us2
The flight attendants are supposed to check the carts before departure to ensure that they are properly loaded. A failure on several levels here.
Yeah. I had them check one time and announced they would have to wait for catering. 1.5 hours later we took off. He should be happy they didn't check. And --that was out of PHX as well.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
I was on the PHX flight last night. I thought the flight attendant did a great job. Drinks freely flowed and the snack basket was constantly being refilled and passed. The basket clearly had snacks intended for economy comfort. The FA never sat for the entire flight, constantly refilling drinks and snacks, and using all the snack boxes which had been loaded. The flight attendant told us that if they waited for catering in PHX, the flight would have been delayed. In light of the weather in MN last night, I am glad there was no delay. Contrary to what OP said, I saw the snack boxes be distributed back to front. Sitting in the front bulkhead, we had no choices left when she got to us. In light of the situation, she did such a good job that I gave her a JWD.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
If you haven't complained in awhile, I would use the TTU option. Last time I think I got like 10K....
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FC flyer
I was on the PHX flight last night. I thought the flight attendant did a great job. Drinks freely flowed and the snack basket was constantly being refilled and passed. The basket clearly had snacks intended for economy comfort. The FA never sat for the entire flight, constantly refilling drinks and snacks, and using all the snack boxes which had been loaded. The flight attendant told us that if they waited for catering in PHX, the flight would have been delayed. In light of the weather in MN last night, I am glad there was no delay. Contrary to what OP said, I saw the snack boxes be distributed back to front. Sitting in the front bulkhead, we had no choices left when she got to us. In light of the situation, she did such a good job that I gave her a JWD.
I am not implying she didn't do a good job. She did a very good job with making the best of the situation. However she did bring the snack box offering menu around randomly and myself in 4B and the gentleman in 4A asked for one and others got them around us but she just ran out. I am not calling into question her cabin service at all. My comment about the FEBO was being somewhat sarcastic, because I have found it is a 50/50 crap shoot on FEBO. Although at the start of the cabin service, she did start at the front, that is why I said about kicking myself for switching seats. This was a fail on the catering side from what I can tell. As a GM we don't get JWD certs to give out, I wish we did. I too am glad we did not wait around in PHX for catering to get it together, however I did miss my connection in the end anyways as we landed early but sat nearly an hour waiting for our gate to open. Instead of making it to Rhinelander last night ended up going to Madison this morning and driving up.

Last edited by hotshot265; Feb 23, 2018 at 9:05 pm
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
If you haven't complained in awhile, I would use the TTU option. Last time I think I got like 10K....
What does TTU mean? Also, off topic, but if you genuinely have had an issue should not complain? I ask because you said "If you haven't complained in awhile", which seems to imply that you can complain too much even if it is genuine complaints within a short amount of time.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by hotshot265
I am not implying she didn't do a good job. She did a very good job with making the best of the situation. However she did bring the snack box offering menu around randomly and myself in 4B and the gentleman in 4A asked for one and others got them around us but she just ran out. I am not calling into question her cabin service at all. My comment about the FEBO was being somewhat sarcastic, because I have found it is a 50/50 crap shoot on FEBO. Although at the start of the cabin service, she did start at the front, that is why I said about kicking myself for switching seats. This was a fail on the catering side from what I can tell. As a GM we don't get JWD certs to give out, I wish we did. I too am glad we did not wait around in PHX for catering to get it together, however I did miss my connection in the end anyways as we landed early but sat nearly an hour waiting for our gate to open. Instead of making it to Rhinelander last night ended up going to Madison this morning and driving up.
Usually even when FEBO is practiced. FAs will only go back to front for meal orders only and PDBs, meal delivery, etc are still done from the front to the back. Just because you see them starting cabin service at the front doesn’t mean they won’t do FEBO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.