Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Your choice for dinner is Nothing...or...the Nothing. Catering Fail

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your choice for dinner is Nothing...or...the Nothing. Catering Fail

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by us2
The flight attendants are supposed to check the carts before departure to ensure that they are properly loaded. A failure on several levels here.
And how long are you willing to wait on a delayed departure if they check and find out oops, the carts aren't catered correctly?

My rule of thumb is always assume there will be a screw up and plan for it, then be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen. i.e. I always pack a snack and grab a bottle of water, just in case..... the flight isn't catered correctly, or I don't like the options or whatever. Likewise, I always have the bare essentials needed for an unscheduled overnight stop somewhere and I can't get my checked bag.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
On a recent flight, they did not have limes for the Bloody Marys. The prior flight outbound from ATL had used them all. I was disconsolate... nay, crestfallen.

How many miles can I get for the absence of a lime slice?

Seriously... DL needs to double down on making FC a true first class experience. Slip ups like this should not be tolerated.

And, it has been my experience that the low performer, as far as catering is concerned, is DTW.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
Follow-up response from Delta

Yesterday I received an email response from Delta. While my complaint was reviewed by someone in customer care, I don't think they really addressed the complaint. Based on the response, it seems like they think I was complaining about better meal service options, I sent the complaint in because the flight was not catered at all. While I got a token 2,000 mile good-will gesture, honestly, they would have been better not giving me any miles. Below is the email I received:
RE: Case 00762872

I appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns to us regarding your flight from PHX to MSP on DL0899. Feeling like you were heard is so important to us. We certainly understand how important it is to arrive to your destination as planned and we extend our sincere apology to you. I wanted to be sure to address your concerns. I also realize you felt we could have provided your flight with better onboard meals service and amenities for our loyal customers. Believe me, this isn't the experience we wanted you to have. I'm so sorry you feel like we let you down.

Be assured that we are always focused on smart ways to improve our service for all our customers. Multiple delays are not okay. We strive to be the best in the Airline industry and yet there are still times when we don’t meet our customer’s expectations. Our customers travel experience is priority and we're striving to offer a premium experience that puts your needs first.

Because we hear you, I have passed your comments directly to our Flight Operations leadership team, so they can consider your experience when making needed changes to improve our service.

I know we can’t erase the unfavorable impression you had on this occasion but as a gesture of our concern, I am depositing 2,000 bonus SkyMiles into your account in recognition that your travel experience wasn't as pleasant as it should have been. Please allow 3 business days for them to be available.

We appreciate your loyalty as a Gold Medallion member and for choosing Delta for your travel plans and we hope you'll provide us with the opportunity to restore your confidence on a future flight.

Regards,

Joy H. Brice
Customer Care
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hotshot265
Yesterday I received an email response from Delta. While my complaint was reviewed by someone in customer care, I don't think they really addressed the complaint. Based on the response, it seems like they think I was complaining about better meal service options, I sent the complaint in because the flight was not catered at all. While I got a token 2,000 mile good-will gesture, honestly, they would have been better not giving me any miles. Below is the email I received:
RE: Case 00762872

I appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns to us regarding your flight from PHX to MSP on DL0899. Feeling like you were heard is so important to us. We certainly understand how important it is to arrive to your destination as planned and we extend our sincere apology to you. I wanted to be sure to address your concerns. I also realize you felt we could have provided your flight with better onboard meals service and amenities for our loyal customers. Believe me, this isn't the experience we wanted you to have. I'm so sorry you feel like we let you down.

Be assured that we are always focused on smart ways to improve our service for all our customers. Multiple delays are not okay. We strive to be the best in the Airline industry and yet there are still times when we don’t meet our customer’s expectations. Our customers travel experience is priority and we're striving to offer a premium experience that puts your needs first.

Because we hear you, I have passed your comments directly to our Flight Operations leadership team, so they can consider your experience when making needed changes to improve our service.

I know we can’t erase the unfavorable impression you had on this occasion but as a gesture of our concern, I am depositing 2,000 bonus SkyMiles into your account in recognition that your travel experience wasn't as pleasant as it should have been. Please allow 3 business days for them to be available.

We appreciate your loyalty as a Gold Medallion member and for choosing Delta for your travel plans and we hope you'll provide us with the opportunity to restore your confidence on a future flight.

Regards,

Joy H. Brice
Customer Care
I guess the response didn't make you feel like you were heard, regardless of this being important to DL.
Vegas Vegan likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
Yeah...oh well. Not that it matters to Delta RM, I will just be purchasing less first class. As long as there are C+ or exit row seats, that will work just fine and service will be about the same or better as I have experienced so far this year. Just this week, Delta lost the opportunity to get $600-700 extra out of me for buying first. I didn't spend the $278 fare difference on my return trip and just purchased C+ for next week's trip to Seattle.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by hotshot265
Yesterday I received an email response from Delta. While my complaint was reviewed by someone in customer care, I don't think they really addressed the complaint. Based on the response, it seems like they think I was complaining about better meal service options, I sent the complaint in because the flight was not catered at all.

Joy H. Brice
Customer Care
I've actually had a response from her as well! She must be the dedicated "food complaint" person, because I basically got the same response as you when I told DL what I thought of their special meals (yeah, they're "special", alright).

I remember her name because I changed the last name to a female dog (mnemonic trick)

ETA: I have no status on DL and I usually get 7500 miles for complaining about the meal (basically, for every flight ) Wonder why you only got 2K?

Last edited by Vegas Vegan; Mar 2, 2018 at 5:13 pm Reason: eta
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Vegas Vegan
I've actually had a response from her as well! She must be the dedicated "food complaint" person, because I basically got the same response as you when I told DL what I thought of their special meals (yeah, they're "special", alright).

I remember her name because I changed the last name to a female dog (mnemonic trick)

ETA: I have no status on DL and I usually get 7500 miles for complaining about the meal (basically, for every flight ) Wonder why you only got 2K?
Yea, 2K seems pretty weak for no food at all. I'm especially surprised that they did it to him when he lives in Phoenix.. it's one thing to abuse your hub captives in ATL or MSP, but OP actually has options within AA being based out of PHX!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Yeah...I thought 2,000 miles is pretty lame, considering you get 2,500 for late bags. Maybe only got that because Delta tossed me 7,500 miles a few weeks ago when I complained about a poor flight crew and broken tray table. Really, I was not looking for any compensation just really wanted an actual phone call, so I could voice my opinion of the sub-standard first class service I have experienced this year. I actually did get a voice message left last time.

Living in an AA hub, I have shifted some travel to AA. Spent just enough last year to keep gold. This year I have already done 8 segments on AA, and will be doing more. Yes I know you have to pay for upgrades as a gold, but honestly I have not missed a requested upgrade yet to/from PHX. I basically have to buy first to sit in first on Delta anyways, so what is the real difference?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
My guess is DL, like a lot of other companies, have automation or very unempowered front line staff reviewing inbound CS issues. Based on the keywords in your complaint you got the copy/paste response that was "most appropriate", frankly I'd be surprised if there is a human by the name Joy H. Brice employed by DL. When you get a brushoff response with a stock reply based on the keywords in your complaint reply back and politely point out that their response in no way addressed the concern you wrote about and to please have it reviewed. Otherwise after a period of time the systems will "soft close" the tickets assuming (incorrectly) that they addressed your issue.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by ryan182
My guess is DL, like a lot of other companies, have automation or very unempowered front line staff reviewing inbound CS issues. Based on the keywords in your complaint you got the copy/paste response that was "most appropriate", frankly I'd be surprised if there is a human by the name Joy H. Brice employed by DL. When you get a brushoff response with a stock reply based on the keywords in your complaint reply back and politely point out that their response in no way addressed the concern you wrote about and to please have it reviewed. Otherwise after a period of time the systems will "soft close" the tickets assuming (incorrectly) that they addressed your issue.
I wish Delta was that advanced (although I am sure they do have a "best answer" knowledge management tool that keys in on the words in the complaint). With that said, if it was truly AI driven then I'd like to think they'd be quicker than the usual response time of 10-15 days...
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
I wish Delta was that advanced (although I am sure they do have a "best answer" knowledge management tool that keys in on the words in the complaint). With that said, if it was truly AI driven then I'd like to think they'd be quicker than the usual response time of 10-15 days...
Did you ever consider that their algo is so advanced it concluded that you would assume it was processed by a human after 10-15 days and thus not think it was AI Seriously though its probably more the "unempowered front line staff" using a "best answer" KB as you put it but still I've found that follow ups are tracked and more likely to be read by someone with more authority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.