Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why is BWI so cheap compared to PHL? Other instances like this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is BWI so cheap compared to PHL? Other instances like this?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:17 pm

$80
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by HomerJay
BWI is not just a Southwest hub. Spirit flies to something like 20 destinations non-stop from BWI as well.

The fares are generally much lower at BWI than at PHL, DCA, or IAD.
It's really based on destination. PHL-PIT does not have competition so fares can be high. But F9 flies to ~26 destinations from PHL in the summer and NK flies to ~6 destinations. So PHL is not completely without LCC competition.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
For the same reason as previously stated, DTW -- BWI is often much less expensive than DTW - PHL and if you're going to Center City Philadelphia, you can get on Amtrak at BWI and still be ahead -- if you have the time that is.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
PHL is also an AA Hub. AA will vigorously defend their hub status and from LCC and their fares.

Jiburi
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by RealHJ
BWI is always cheap.
Sometimes as much as 2x less than same time flights to/from DCA or IAD.
I have run into this before, especially on last minute flights. I had change of plans to go to bachelor party last year and went out of BWI vs DCA to save upwards of $350(Still flew back to DCA). I hate the drive up the abandoned car alley known as the BW Parkway, but $350 was worth it to me.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
I have run into this before, especially on last minute flights. I had change of plans to go to bachelor party last year and went out of BWI vs DCA to save upwards of $350(Still flew back to DCA). I hate the drive up the abandoned car alley known as the BW Parkway, but $350 was worth it to me.
Exactly.

So for anyone who flies to/from WAS, DCA/IAD/BWI co-terminal SDC benefit is probably the single biggest and most valuable DM benefit. On F/J tickets it can save you, literally, $600+ easily per RT flight.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Examples all over the country. Sometimes WN, sometimes another carrier. Sometimes nothing that is obvious.

Supply and demand market pricing at work.

Just like a flight one day can be twice what it costs the next day.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Supply and demand market pricing at work.
This is the answer to almost every "why is x cheaper than y" questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.