Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search too much = Bait and Switch

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Search too much = Bait and Switch

Married segment and rev mgmt BS

I find great availability with DL and partner in one direction.

I find it in reverse direction.

I sort out my txfr options.

I'm about to transfer so I check again.

Poof! Everything gone in both directions. Not even one seat. The first leg is still there (meaning the Justice of the Peace will not allow the marriage of the segments). I am certain the 2nd leg would still be there.

I think I will use a VPN next time. Not even sure if that would help.

Total scam and waste of a program.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Wow, just like i thought. Change browser, cookies, and wifi source and the flights pop back up.

I'm nervous to transfer a bucket of amex points still....

what a joke.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:12 am
Original Poster

yep, now it's gone again and there's more surcharge.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
It is unlikely that Delta is tracking your habits to change available fare buckets (people on this site often speculate that they do but without evidence). If you post the route someone might be able to help you work it out.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:59 am

I don’t know about your case but I’ve read before there’s evidence of prices changing based on search history. For example
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I've seen this happen repeatedly on Delta.com (can't say for certain about the app), especially when searching different dates for the same city pair.

What I do is browse in incognito mode in Chrome when looking for flights. When I find one. Close out the browser, reopen, find the exact flights I want and go to book. Only logging in to use points at the end, or not logging in at all if paying cash (Add my SMN after the ticket is issued). This tends to get me the price point I want.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

I think it's borderline criminal marketing behavior and certainly unethical. Very dirty business. Take away award chart. Make prices not only opaque but engage in active bait and switch tactics. Disgusting company.

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
I've seen this happen repeatedly on Delta.com (can't say for certain about the app), especially when searching different dates for the same city pair.

What I do is browse in incognito mode in Chrome when looking for flights. When I find one. Close out the browser, reopen, find the exact flights I want and go to book. Only logging in to use points at the end, or not logging in at all if paying cash (Add my SMN after the ticket is issued). This tends to get me the price point I want.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
I think it's borderline criminal marketing behavior and certainly unethical. Very dirty business. Take away award chart. Make prices not only opaque but engage in active bait and switch tactics. Disgusting company.
If you know anything about the airline industry, all prices are posted to a company called ATPCO and are processed by various companies, like Sabre, Amadeus, ITA, etc. Delta.com doesn't even possess the ability to price discriminate across customers due to ITA, if my understanding is right. Most likely what is happening is fare buckets are disappearing from your multiple browser windows. As long as your session hasn't expired those seats are reserved for you.

Source: I'm in IT, friend in RM at AA
jinglish and audio-nut like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by jamiestr
If you know anything about the airline industry, all prices are posted to a company called ATPCO and are processed by various companies, like Sabre, Amadeus, ITA, etc. Delta.com doesn't even possess the ability to price discriminate across customers due to ITA, if my understanding is right. Most likely what is happening is fare buckets are disappearing from your multiple browser windows. As long as your session hasn't expired those seats are reserved for you.

@aubreyfromwheaton - As @jamiestr states, you are probably the one shooting yourself in the foot. If there are limited seats (e.g. 1 seat left), your current search session(s) "locks" that seat until either your transaction completes or the session times out. If the system does not "Lock" your searched seats, the reverse would happen i.e you may find the seat and between digging for your credit card and confirming the seat, someone else closed the deal. I do not think it is a conspiracy.
jinglish and CPMaverick like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Take a few steps back.

By progressing in your bookings to check availability, those seats are being taken by YOU! It takes some time for them to return to inventory after you've failed to book them.

It's not a conspiracy.
thunderlounge and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Take a few steps back.

By progressing in your bookings to check availability, those seats are being taken by YOU! It takes some time for them to return to inventory after you've failed to book them.

It's not a conspiracy.
This. As soon as you hit "select," on a flight or set of flights, DL starts building a PNR and pulls the inventory. It will stay held until your session expires or I believe if you hit "start over" at the top it will relinquish it also. So DL is really not "bait and switching" you so much as you are "bait and switching" yourself!
CPMaverick and FLYPWM like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Even if we pretend that DL's pricing algorithm is based on browser history, which is ridiculous, it's still NOT bait and switch. To be a bait and switch, DL would have to raise the price AFTER you book, and then charge your card the additional amount.

Put your tin foil hat back on.
silverthief2 and ncwillett like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by jamiestr

ATPCO only deals with revenue fares, not with award fares.

And DL still can - and does - not show certain fare buckets on dullta.com for revenue fares always, but you can book it if you piece it together on ITAmatrix and then use bookwithmatrix and go to dullta.com to book it. I know, speaking from experience.

Directly DL often doesn't show the lowest available fare buckets, though it IS available. The lesson is, if you want to fly DL, it takes a few hours to book. Search on ITA matrix, then use book with matrix to actually book it on dullta.com at the actual best available price based on the inventory available to the public.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Even if we pretend that DL's pricing algorithm is based on browser history, which is ridiculous, it's still NOT bait and switch. To be a bait and switch, DL would have to raise the price AFTER you book, and then charge your card the additional amount.
That's not bait and switch, that's fraud. Bait and switch is advertising a low price (bait), then trying to get you to pay a higher one (e.g. by telling you that the low-priced item isn't any good, or isn't available) (switch).
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:37 am
Original Poster

I don't think it's a problem with me holding seats/fare buckets at all because what happens is on flexible dates MANY dates change. It's just BS. Yes and on revenue tickets Delta.com sometimes chooses to show more expensive seats.

Whatever, I'll deal with it.

When colleagues and friends ask "why do you fly Southwest, Spirit, Jetblue and AA so much" I tell them well Delta costs double the price and the miles are not valuable to me. I don't need seatback screens and Deltalina. And slimline 737 with the LED lights are not much better than Spirit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.