Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for a Noob who travels for work?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ethernal
To each his or her own I suppose. For me at least sleep in a plane is never equal to that on the ground (regardless of whether you're in J, F, or Y) so I'd rather try to clear work backlog to reduce late nights on the ground.

Reading is fair enough - although take the best of both worlds and catch up on whatever you need to read for work...

As for movies.. never understood people who watch movies on planes. But I'm clearly in the minority there so I'll let it pass.
I agree, sleep on a plane or train is not as good as a familiar bed. However, it is better than not sleeping. I agree that watching a movie on the plane is not the same as watching it at home in 1080p with 5.1 DTS encoded audio. But it does offer a selection of movies that you may not feel is worth it to go to the theater for and it can be time efficient as you are traveling. If you can multitask, you can watch a movie and read.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by JinSda
Thank you guys, these are actually very helpful tips. Another question, is the "upgrade" list supposed to be taken care of before anyone on "standy"? Does it affect my upgrade chances if I'm GM and let's say a DM is on standby? I ask because there were 3 times that I did NOT get upgraded, even as 1st
Since you are only a GM, I wouldn't worry too much about upgrades, especially if you are long flights or hub flights, but I believe if a DM clears standby then they go ahead of you on the upgrade list. There are many here that will probably answer that question more accurately than I can. I am only a PM and usually only get upgrades on regional or off day flights.

I always check a bag, not by choice, because I have to bring tools with me, and apparently the TSA won't let me take a 14 inch level as a carry-on. I am honestly kind of glad I have to check my bag, so I don't have to deal with the struggle for overhead space.

I think there is a lot of good advice in this thread, but I think the biggest thing about business travel (for me) is that it can get pretty lonely, especially if you rarely travel with coworkers. Certainly you could use Tinder/Grindr to have a little fun, but presuming you don't want to do that (or are looking for some kind of long term relationship, it isn't really practical). If you are travelling to urban areas, it isn't a big deal, my first thing is to check yelp for dive bars and have a seat at the bar. Hotel bars are the next best option. There are usually sights to see, but when I travel I rarely am allowed the time to see them (I still try and squeeze something in), and have dinner with friends if any live in the area. The absolute worst trips for me are trips to middle of nowhere places, crappy hotels, no bars, and absolutely the worst case (for me) dry towns. When I know I am going to such a place, I usually just pack my XBOX, as it is something to do and I can at least play games with friends to have some social interaction.

I think being happy travelling for business is dependent on where you are going, if you are going alone, your personality, and many other things. Find a good balance for you, and don't forget that you need to interact with people outside of work or you will eventually realize you are miserable.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by sethb
Requesting miles for delayed luggage when your luggage isn't delayed? How is that not cheating? I consider it Fraud.
has anybody submitted a claim on the site before? I ask because you CANT cheat the system or fraduantly submit a claim. You submit the info and DLs system tells me if it is 20 minutes or not. How is it fraud if I don’t get the miles unless DELTAS system tells me I am entitled to them. I merely suggested always submitting the claim and letting the Delta system decide. I don’t start a stopwatch to count the 20 minutes so I let the DL system tell me if it is or not. FYI this is an automatic system that when I submit instantly tells me if it was under or over 20 minutes....

(also I misspoke above I meant to say sometimes it feels like mere minutes when I get my bag but again I’m not using a stopwatch)
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by orca15
As often as you can, add a day or two to every trip. See an old friend if there is one nearby, or at least go see the sights...so the trip becomes a memory of something other than a hotel. Won't replace a social life but at least you'll have something for the effort.
Also, one can look if it's possible to fly-in "before" your normal day of travel to take advantage of such. Many times clients they might appreciate, and pay for day-before travel so you can report during normal start hours instead of when you get in from the airport mid-day for-example.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:50 am

Where do the locals go? What do you eat around here that might be new for me?

I worked for a management firm in my mid-20's and traveled to job sites all over the country every week. One of my colleagues passed some advice to me and it turned the job into a youthful odyssey.

First, check out the local restaurants and local cuisine. If you're in Maine, it's not just lobster, but blueberry pie and even blueberry ice cream. In Sante Fe, it's everything, topped off with apple pie with green chiles. In Lafayette, LA, it's everything cajun. In Fargo, you might want to skip the lutefisk. And you can do well by asking a local at your jobsite where the locals go. My "go to" question was, "when a kid comes home from the Army or from college, and wants to go to a neighborhood place for a good meal with the family, where do you take him?"

Also, you're going to be going to some places you'll probably never visit again. And you'll have a chance to see some stuff that can be really cool. Or, if not cool, that will give you some good drinking stories to tell. Maybe it's the Corn Palace in Mitchell, or the Tabasco Factory in New Iberia, or the cemetery where 100 Titanic victims are buried in Halifax. Check this stuff out.

Our company gave you the option of staying at the jobsite for a weekend if it cost them less than the roundtrip flight home, and I took that option on occasion and did some great sightseeing and met some great local folks (even though we were not permitted to socialize with the clients).

After a little less than a year, I got sick and tired of helping companies downsize (it meant RIF's), and changed career paths. But I had a helluva time on the road and learned a great deal about the real diversity of the USA.

Consider this your adventure, and plan some time to see the world - not globally, but regionally and locally. Enjoy!
jinglish and The Situation like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by guam17
Since you are only a GM, I wouldn't worry too much about upgrades, especially if you are long flights or hub flights, but I believe if a DM clears standby then they go ahead of you on the upgrade list. There are many here that will probably answer that question more accurately than I can. I am only a PM and usually only get upgrades on regional or off day flights.
They clear upgrades before they clear standbys, as a general rule. (However, it's possible to be an F standby, e.g. attempting SDS on an F ticket.)
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:44 am

I second the idea of good noise cancelling headphones. It is pretty surprising how much they block and how much more refreshed you feel after the flight. That constant noise without them is pretty fatiguing.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by HomerJay
Where do the locals go? What do you eat around here that might be new for me?

I worked for a management firm in my mid-20's and traveled to job sites all over the country every week. One of my colleagues passed some advice to me and it turned the job into a youthful odyssey.

First, check out the local restaurants and local cuisine. If you're in Maine, it's not just lobster, but blueberry pie and even blueberry ice cream. In Sante Fe, it's everything, topped off with apple pie with green chiles. In Lafayette, LA, it's everything cajun. In Fargo, you might want to skip the lutefisk. And you can do well by asking a local at your jobsite where the locals go. My "go to" question was, "when a kid comes home from the Army or from college, and wants to go to a neighborhood place for a good meal with the family, where do you take him?"

Also, you're going to be going to some places you'll probably never visit again. And you'll have a chance to see some stuff that can be really cool. Or, if not cool, that will give you some good drinking stories to tell. Maybe it's the Corn Palace in Mitchell, or the Tabasco Factory in New Iberia, or the cemetery where 100 Titanic victims are buried in Halifax. Check this stuff out.

Our company gave you the option of staying at the jobsite for a weekend if it cost them less than the roundtrip flight home, and I took that option on occasion and did some great sightseeing and met some great local folks (even though we were not permitted to socialize with the clients).

After a little less than a year, I got sick and tired of helping companies downsize (it meant RIF's), and changed career paths. But I had a helluva time on the road and learned a great deal about the real diversity of the USA.

Consider this your adventure, and plan some time to see the world - not globally, but regionally and locally. Enjoy!
This.

ALWAYS explore for at least one day, no matter how tired you are or how much work you have.

I have been to many places during work that I would have NEVER seen otherwise. And some of them are pretty cool. Some are not. But the experience is worth it.

I only have two states I've not been to (and one will get crossed off in April) and how many would I have without business travel? Less than half probably.

Same with international. I know BRU like the back of my hand but would never go there on vacation. 45 countries and counting (lots more to go!)

Every new experience brings you back a little different than you were; and after 35 years I would not trade any of it.
MSPeconomist and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Simple things which you can customize based on your own situation:

1. Eat properly. Avoid fast food if at all possible, realize you're taking in a lot of sodium when you're not cooking your own meals. Know how many calories you want your dinners to be, and come up with a few standard meals you can order when in an unfamiliar place.

2. Pack lightly but with good (not expensive) luggage. Travelpro, Tom Bihn, Red Oxx. If you do the Sunday-Thursday gig every week, consider buying a second suitcase.

3. Look up activities in your destination cities. Depends on your interests. I like to go to baseball games.

4. Understand how to get "your fair advantage" from your company's travel policies. Don't cheat, but know what is permissible. On your way home, are you allowed to fly to an alternate city if the airfare is cheaper? My company allows that for most clients, and I've seen a lot of the country for 40% off the airfare I'd pay otherwise.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:25 am

Step 1) Plan ahead and prepare for what can go wrong. Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. Always give yourself ample time cushion and some more time on top of that to be safe.
Step 2) Book your travel plans to facilitate step 1 and ensure your sanity.
Step 3) As a result of doing step 1 and 2 properly, you will find you have a lot of downtime in the air and wherever you are visiting and you will receive lots of compliments from your coworkers and customers about how smoothly everything went To avoid getting lonely or bored, figure out the coolest sights to see and best restaurants - things that are unique to where you are visiting. Yelp is a great resource for both. Be adventuresome!
Step 4) Celebrate a successful trip! Spend time networking/making friends with you coworkers. Go to a restaurant, sit at the bar and talk to people if you are traveling alone. On the flight home, have a few drinks and get an uber home (I always take an uber to/from airport on company biz since company pays. Your company would probably arrange a car service for you as well - a lot of people at my company do this, but I am more independent).
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Originally Posted by kxc262
Get a durable luggage. My TravelPro seems to always get its zippers pulled off since it gets checked pretty often. However, it gets repaired for free under warranty since it is a Plat Magna 2.....

Consider noise cancelling headphones if you will be on a plane a lot. It makes quite a difference.
I can not emphasize the importance of both of these statements, ESPECIALLY, the headphones. I get more upset if I have forgotten my Bose than if I forgot my laptop. Best $300 I ever spent and completely helps me disconnect from all the distractions.

Now, if they could just find a way to combat smelly food people bring on and pax flatulence.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM HH Gold Marriott Gold IHG Spire
[QUOTE=vincentharris;29433620]oh and this advice goes for all, after you land and are waiting go to the DL 20 minute baggage guarantee and pre fill it out. Wait about 30-60 minutes and submit it. The system is ALL over the place and gives you the 2,500 miles I am convinced out of sheer randomness and not based on the 20 minutes. Its a great way to get bonus miles and takes 8 seconds every time to fill out, worst thing that happens is the system says you dont get them.

Your advice to a new frequent flier is to lie? Nice....
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by technole
Also, one can look if it's possible to fly-in "before" your normal day of travel to take advantage of such. Many times clients they might appreciate, and pay for day-before travel so you can report during normal start hours instead of when you get in from the airport mid-day for-example.
Yeah, that's a good way to get a half day- take the early flight the day before. But even if it costs you a day of vacation, and a night of hotel, try to stretch those trips that are unique- I have a great video of going dog sledding in Alaska a couple of weeks ago...would never have gotten that on my own travel!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:02 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
1) learn to laugh. You can't make up the crap you see and that goes on as a road warrior

2) use the words please and thank you, they go a long way with airport and hotel staff

3) Amazon prime now grocery deliveries are a great way to avoid eating terrible on the road.

4) accept it is a different lifestyle. You won't have the social life at home others do, you'll learn most conversations with friends start with "where are you this week", you will cancel plans because your flight home was delayed or cancelled. Make peace with this and realize those who don't live this existence will never fully get it.

5) learn to be grateful and live from that mindset. It is easy to get jaded, grumpy and believe you are entitled. Learn to look at the little things that make it good and appreciate them.

6) remember this is a choice you made and will keep making, contrary to what you read on here no one owes you anything just because you chose this lifestyle
silverthief2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.