Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for a Noob who travels for work?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by vincentharris
That leads me to a separate piece regarding luggage. JUST CHECK IT.

I know I am the minority I am sure here on this but I am so tired of having to fight everyone for overhead space and the what not, I would rather board last and not worry it does not take much longer to wait for luggage.
However, if you decide to follow this suggestion, be aware that you may occasionally have your luggage get delayed or lost. Not saying it is bad suggestion, just be aware that it may happen.

I'll also add another one. If your employer pays you an expense per diem, Try to stay within it, but don't try to bank it either. By banking it, you may find yourself at some point counting on just to cover your monthly bills or pay for some personal expense and at that point you will have become a slave to business travel which then makes it a grind.

Last edited by Ledfish; Feb 19, 2018 at 7:43 am
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ledfish
Two things. First, keep the time you are on the plane as your own time, don't let it become worktime. If you can't sleep on airplanes, learn to. This will help you stay charged up, both for work and when your home. Nothing makes traveling for work tougher on a GF or BF than a mate that has to recover from the trip every time they get home.
This is terrible advice in my opinion (the not letting it become worktime thing). You're stuck in a metal tube.. what else is there to do other than work? I'd rather get some work out of the way so I can enjoy my time not in said metal tube than do nothing for 5 hours.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BenA
Also, Delta specific - learn carefully the rules of same day standby and same day confirmed policies; they are hugely valuable when you finish early or late at your destination and want to adjust your travel plans.
That is very good advice. An ExpertFlyer subscription to check for availability in purchased fare class is handy.

OP should also look at rules and systems for Comfort+ upgrades (I never want a Comfort+ middle seat) and snagging inventory at T-24.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Learn to pack light. First few years of business travel, I'd always come back with a shirt or two on a hanger and pair or two of slacks unused. Now I throw an extra pair of underwear, undershirt, and socks in my bag. That'll keep me for an extra day, and if travel goes beyond that (the one or two times per year), well then that's when I buy a tshirt or extra pair. Packing for the 5% of time is a pain in the rear 95% of time. I lay out my daily outfits, and make sure within those I can change it up- they all match in some way.

Great advice within about food choices. Eat as you would at home. So many people have three huge meals per day on the road. I have eggs or oatmeal in the morning, a salad or light sandwhich during the day, and try to keep my dinners somewhat light. I'll order the salmon at the steak restaurant, I won't get an app/entree/dessert more than once on a trip, etc. I work out religiously before and after my trips, because I find it too tight to do so while on them (it also saves on packing). But I walk places if I can, and during warmer months generally get a decent amount of exercise this way.

Learn your equipment, and know what planes you're likely to fly beforehand. If I'm on a regional, I know what type of baggage I can fit/gate check. Same with a mainline. Be friendly with the gate agents. You will get to know each other, and in smaller markets they make ALL the difference in irrops if they want to. If you're making somewhat last minute plans, check the weather to help with flight times. A 9pm flight in stormy weather or a 6am the next day? Choose the latter if you can. This is an advantage of being single- you make your travel schedule (in concert with your company) to fit your needs specifically. When my kids were young, I walked into the house at 2am a lot of times because they expected to see me when they woke up. It was worth it, but tiring.

Create a routine. When I have a free night in a city, I never just hang out in my room. If I have work I'll often take my computer into the lobby, I'll do a little shopping if in a downtown area, etc. I go to bed around the same time as I do at home, wake up maybe 15-20 minutes earlier.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
oh and this advice goes for all, after you land and are waiting go to the DL 20 minute baggage guarantee and pre fill it out. Wait about 30-60 minutes and submit it. The system is ALL over the place and gives you the 2,500 miles I am convinced out of sheer randomness and not based on the 20 minutes. Its a great way to get bonus miles and takes 8 seconds every time to fill out, worst thing that happens is the system says you dont get them.

That leads me to a separate piece regarding luggage. JUST CHECK IT.

I know I am the minority I am sure here on this but I am so tired of having to fight everyone for overhead space and the what not, I would rather board last and not worry it does not take much longer to wait for luggage.
This would be cheating.

BTW, I agree with the advice to really know your employer's travel policy. You might discover some things that make your life easier and are considered SOP. It also helps to know the exceptions, such as whether you're allowed to stay at a destination over the weekend or even take a weekend side trip from your business destination for fun.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JinSda
Thank you so much for these tips, especially about dining as if I would at home. Not sure about other lounges but the domestic Marriott ones are mediocre at best
In my experience, the international Marriotts are much better than the domestics. The CourtYard in Tokyo is closer to the AC hotels than the US CourtYards. All of the non-US Marriotts have had the omlet stations. I would consider Manila the best with Bangkok a close second.

One person mentioned workouts to avoid jet lag. That helps, but being out in the sun in the new time zone would help more. I also use AM/PM essentials which help quite a bit. https://billsilverstein.jeunesseglob...m/pmessentials
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ethernal
This is terrible advice in my opinion (the not letting it become worktime thing). You're stuck in a metal tube.. what else is there to do other than work? I'd rather get some work out of the way so I can enjoy my time not in said metal tube than do nothing for 5 hours.
There is sleep, reading, watching movies, listening to audio.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by spamkiller
There is sleep, reading, watching movies, listening to audio.
To each his or her own I suppose. For me at least sleep in a plane is never equal to that on the ground (regardless of whether you're in J, F, or Y) so I'd rather try to clear work backlog to reduce late nights on the ground.

Reading is fair enough - although take the best of both worlds and catch up on whatever you need to read for work...

As for movies.. never understood people who watch movies on planes. But I'm clearly in the minority there so I'll let it pass.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:36 pm
formerly PHLGrump

Originally Posted by JinSda
Hi guys, first post but I have been lurking here for a while. I'm a recent college grad and been working only 2 years where my company pays for my travel (Delta, hence why I'm posting here. It was fun to fly everywhere at first and get status/perks but I feel like my social life has gone down the drain. I assume most of you here travel frequently for work, so I would like some tips. The work load is fine for me but I find myself with no friends in strange places and cant keep a gf because of work (I dont even blame her lol). Any tips would be greatly appreciated. OTOH, I admit it makes me feel good inside when all my friends think I must be some millionaire due to being Delta gold and having a metal credit card
Get on Tinder or whatever dating apps are around these days. As soon as you touchdown start swiping right. Soon enough you'll have companions in every city You're welcome
CPMaverick and Gino Troian like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This would be cheating.
How in the world is this considered cheating?????
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: Delta, United
When I travel I try to do something for myself. Sometimes it is hanging with friends, other times it is searching out a really good beer, other times it is seeing something. Depending on where I am traveling I might tack a day or two on, or more. As for food, I tend to find a grocery store for breakfast food. If lunch is good, I'll might eat big then have a light dinner. Or the opposite. That said, traveling does get old.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:20 pm

i don't travel much domestically, but I definitely recommend tinder if you're looking for some company
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
How in the world is this considered cheating?????
Requesting miles for delayed luggage when your luggage isn't delayed? How is that not cheating? I consider it Fraud.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Get a durable luggage. My TravelPro seems to always get its zippers pulled off since it gets checked pretty often. However, it gets repaired for free under warranty since it is a Plat Magna 2.

Take impromtu trips and enjoy the experiences. Flew down to Puerto Rico 4 times and met my brother there once. Fares were cheap and we went scuba diving.

Consider noise cancelling headphones if you will be on a plane a lot. It makes quite a difference.

Sync your statuses with partnerships between hotels/airlines. SPG Plat -> Marriott Plat -> United Silver, Uber/SPG/Delta
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott, SPG
Thank you guys, these are actually very helpful tips. Another question, is the "upgrade" list supposed to be taken care of before anyone on "standy"? Does it affect my upgrade chances if I'm GM and let's say a DM is on standby? I ask because there were 3 times that I did NOT get upgraded, even as 1st

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.