Purchasing F Upgrade

Old Feb 15, 18, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Purchasing F Upgrade

If I purchase a main cabin ticket but then take the bait and purchase an upgrade to F, will I be credited miles and MQM as if I had purchased F from the start, or is this just handled the same as a complimentary upgrade as fare as mileage credit?
Old Feb 15, 18, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by twballard View Post
If I purchase a main cabin ticket but then take the bait and purchase an upgrade to F, will I be credited miles and MQM as if I had purchased F from the start, or is this just handled the same as a complimentary upgrade as fare as mileage credit?
As long as it’s not purchased at check-in, you will receive the 50% MQM bonus and MQDs.
Old Feb 15, 18, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post

As long as it’s not purchased at check-in, you will receive the 50% MQM bonus and MQDs.
I had to purchase a ticket on our corporate web site. Once it ticketed, I went into my Delta account, where it had the upgrade offer. I still only ended up with base MQM. Never could figure out whether there was a coding error or whether it all had to be completed in one payment. Delta reps I spoke to contradicted each other.

Mike
Old Feb 15, 18, 11:17 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Chick-fil-A Red
Delta reps I spoke to contradicted each other.
Unless it was purchased at check-in, the one who said you get the 50% MQM bonus was right. You may have to ask them to contact the skymiles desk and have them re-submit it for processing.

If you have your mobile boarding pass still, it should indicate the class, which should be something like P, A, or G.
TetonSig likes this.
Old Feb 15, 18, 11:20 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
What about on award tickets? I know there was a thread a few months ago about this, not sure what the final answer was / should be.
Old Feb 15, 18, 11:58 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by kpbadger View Post
Unless it was purchased at check-in, the one who said you get the 50% MQM bonus was right. You may have to ask them to contact the skymiles desk and have them re-submit it for processing.

If you have your mobile boarding pass still, it should indicate the class, which should be something like P, A, or G.
This has been my experience as well twice now. Wait a few days after it should have posted correctly. Call in and ask them to “contact the skymiles desk and have them re-submit it for processing” 👍👍👍
Old Feb 15, 18, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by TetonSig View Post

This has been my experience as well twice now. Wait a few days after it should have posted correctly. Call in and ask them to “contact the skymiles desk and have them re-submit it for processing” 👍👍👍
Thanks all. I'll see what I've got left.

Mike
Old Feb 15, 18, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL 1.3 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Total Rewards Diamond
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles View Post
What about on award tickets? I know there was a thread a few months ago about this, not sure what the final answer was / should be.
If you are talking about paying to upgrade an award coach seat to first class, I did this for my wife the end of last year on a companion ticket. In her account it shows nothing earned for the basic ticket and a second entry for each segment (Seat Upgrade: Mileage and MQD Accrual listing) received both MQD and base miles but no MQMs on the upgrade.
Old Feb 15, 18, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by TetonSig View Post

This right here, I actually noticed it happened to me, and I sent a note to the DL twitter team. They acknowledged it, and it was actually fixed in hours and reflected on the DL site.
Old Feb 15, 18, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by Seabilly View Post
If you are talking about paying to upgrade an award coach seat to first class, I did this for my wife the end of last year on a companion ticket. In her account it shows nothing earned for the basic ticket and a second entry for each segment (Seat Upgrade: Mileage and MQD Accrual listing) received both MQD and base miles but no MQMs on the upgrade.
Interesting. I paid for Comfort + on an award leg and didn't receive any MQD or miles. Are the rules different?
Old Feb 15, 18, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by EmptyKim View Post
Interesting. I paid for Comfort + on an award leg and didn't receive any MQD or miles. Are the rules different?
Doublecheck your activity. The entry for a purchased upgrade appears in a separate entry.
Old Feb 16, 18, 8:32 am

Programs: DL DM, DL 1.3 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Total Rewards Diamond
Originally Posted by EmptyKim View Post
Not sure. Based on the language on the cert "Primary ticket will accrue miles. Companion ticket will not accrue miles" I didn't think my wife would get anything (and for the original flight she didn't) It was just the 2 segments where I upgraded her to First. May have been a glitch and the amount of miles she got is pretty much insignificant since she normally only flies on award tickets but I found it interesting.
Old Feb 16, 18, 9:48 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by JCWCVG View Post

Doublecheck your activity. The entry for a purchased upgrade appears in a separate entry.
Nothing on my account. I'll have to check the wife's account to see if she got anything.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: